Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a Roll Pin Stop Moving

Site Supporter

Making a Roll Pin Stop Moving

I've got an S&W M22-4. Soon after I bought it I sent it back to the S&W Performance Center for their Combat Revolver package and replacement of the too-short front sight. The roll pin holding the front sight tends to walk out after firing a bunch of rounds. My instinct is to tap it most of the way out, hit it with some red Loctite, and tap it back in. Is there a better way to do this?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've got an S&W M22-4. Soon after I bought it I sent it back to the S&W Performance Center for their Combat Revolver package and replacement of the too-short front sight. The roll pin holding the front sight tends to walk out after firing a bunch of rounds. My instinct is to tap it most of the way out, hit it with some red Loctite, and tap it back in. Is there a better way to do this?
    I'd replace the roll pin.

I might degrease it and then try blue loctite.
    Or a thin coating of the E6000.

Or using a small nail and flaring the mouth of the roll pin a little.
    Pointing at cardboard things....

A tension pin (roll pin with a slit all the way down) is a one-and-done deal once it can't have enough tension against the ID of the hole it's in. Applying a thread locking chemical to it isn't a good option, those are meant for threads, not for parallel surfaces.
    Nice people fall to the manipulator. The manipulator crumbles under the assertive. The assertive shrinks before the aggressive. The aggressive have no plan for the assaultive. The assaultive are unprepared for the homicidal.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I'd replace the roll pin.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    A tension pin (roll pin with a slit all the way down) is a one-and-done deal once it can't have enough tension against the ID of the hole it's in.
    Getting a single (or a handful) of something like a roll pin can be tricky, know that Fastenal will sell single items if you order it online. I think it can be delivered to the stores, if there is one nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Applying a thread locking chemical to it isn't a good option, those are meant for threads, not for parallel surfaces.
    Though I have used it for drifted rear sights that maybe were not quite as tight as they should be.
    I have also heard of a drop of nail polish working. I tend to have some handy for my sights, not my fingernails...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Getting a single (or a handful) of something like a roll pin can be tricky, know that Fastenal will sell single items if you order it online. I think it can be delivered to the stores, if there is one nearby.

Though I have used it for drifted rear sights that maybe were not quite as tight as they should be.
    I have also heard of a drop of nail polish working. I tend to have some handy for my sights, not my fingernails...
    I've had pretty good luck with these folks. For the price of a couple from fastenal, if they sell independently, you can grab a bunch.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Hard-to-F...eb_10147764011
    Nice people fall to the manipulator. The manipulator crumbles under the assertive. The assertive shrinks before the aggressive. The aggressive have no plan for the assaultive. The assaultive are unprepared for the homicidal.

Site Supporter
    Might be worth calling around a few local gunsmiths.

I would just flare it on both ends.

a little clear nail polish has worked well for me in the past

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I would just flare it on both ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    a little clear nail polish has worked well for me in the past
    I'll probably try one or both of these. Finding a roll/tension pin around here is unlikely; gunsmiths around here apparently know about revolvers only from pictures. Before I do anything else, though, I'm going to email S&W to see if they'll hook me up with a pin.

User Tag List