Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a Roll Pin Stop Moving

Site Supporter

Making a Roll Pin Stop Moving

I've got an S&W M22-4. Soon after I bought it I sent it back to the S&W Performance Center for their Combat Revolver package and replacement of the too-short front sight. The roll pin holding the front sight tends to walk out after firing a bunch of rounds. My instinct is to tap it most of the way out, hit it with some red Loctite, and tap it back in. Is there a better way to do this?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've got an S&W M22-4. Soon after I bought it I sent it back to the S&W Performance Center for their Combat Revolver package and replacement of the too-short front sight. The roll pin holding the front sight tends to walk out after firing a bunch of rounds. My instinct is to tap it most of the way out, hit it with some red Loctite, and tap it back in. Is there a better way to do this?
    I'd replace the roll pin.

I might degrease it and then try blue loctite.
    Or a thin coating of the E6000.

Or using a small nail and flaring the mouth of the roll pin a little.

Site Supporter
    A tension pin (roll pin with a slit all the way down) is a one-and-done deal once it can't have enough tension against the ID of the hole it's in. Applying a thread locking chemical to it isn't a good option, those are meant for threads, not for parallel surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I'd replace the roll pin.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    A tension pin (roll pin with a slit all the way down) is a one-and-done deal once it can't have enough tension against the ID of the hole it's in.
    Getting a single (or a handful) of something like a roll pin can be tricky, know that Fastenal will sell single items if you order it online. I think it can be delivered to the stores, if there is one nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Applying a thread locking chemical to it isn't a good option, those are meant for threads, not for parallel surfaces.
    Though I have used it for drifted rear sights that maybe were not quite as tight as they should be.
    I have also heard of a drop of nail polish working. I tend to have some handy for my sights, not my fingernails...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Getting a single (or a handful) of something like a roll pin can be tricky, know that Fastenal will sell single items if you order it online. I think it can be delivered to the stores, if there is one nearby.

Though I have used it for drifted rear sights that maybe were not quite as tight as they should be.
    I have also heard of a drop of nail polish working. I tend to have some handy for my sights, not my fingernails...
    I've had pretty good luck with these folks. For the price of a couple from fastenal, if they sell independently, you can grab a bunch.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Hard-to-F...eb_10147764011

Site Supporter
    Might be worth calling around a few local gunsmiths.

I would just flare it on both ends.

a little clear nail polish has worked well for me in the past

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I would just flare it on both ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    a little clear nail polish has worked well for me in the past
    I'll probably try one or both of these. Finding a roll/tension pin around here is unlikely; gunsmiths around here apparently know about revolvers only from pictures. Before I do anything else, though, I'm going to email S&W to see if they'll hook me up with a pin.

User Tag List