Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What's in your Watchlist?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The seller wants either a money order or a certified check. What bothers me, there, is that the dispute resolution tools are rather limited.
    I don't recall the particulars, but back in the day, using a US Postal Money order some how supposedly gave both assurances to both buyer and seller?
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    I've recently lost a couple of auctions for a Beretta 1301. Perhaps the 700 page long thread here has something to do with it. Convinced me that the M1Super90 sitting in my safe just won't do anymore... One more reason I love (and hate) PF!
    Oh yeah... Also always looking for a 4" K-frame .22LR, particularly one with some honest use and holster wear--one that isn't so pretty that I'm afraid to use it or pack it around in a leather holster.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'm sure that when we're both looking, we're looking at similar 1911's
    Probably because you have exquisite taste. I tend to favor classic designs. For example, I admire Chuck Rogers skills and work, but his full-house style is not what I prefer. I am not fond of the modern craze of removing lots of metal from the slide nor am I fond of strange traction treatments. I like sharp edges softened not removed. I also demand function, and many of the top-name smiths do not deliver on that front.

Site Supporter
    The only things I have gun wise on the list for this year is a G3 pattern rifle, a threaded barrel side gate .38/.357 lever gun, and potentially a VP9SK. I'd be alright with upgrading my 442 to a 340 as well.

But in reality, the practical side goes the from last to first in that list.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I'm hoping the lack of a box/papers etc and the visible wear scares off all the collectors... but I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892938924

Just dreaming of owning a wheelgun like this, with a nice leather rig for it, that I can wear as I drive around a big block Challenger or Chevelle.
    I'll happily stay out of the way. I'd love to see you win that! I have a 3.5" Model 27, and it's just perfect.

I was showing mine off to Wayne Dobbs, and he just grinned and said "That pistol looks at you like you owe it money."

It handles amazingly well. I have some really nice brown basketweave leather for it, and will be carrying it at Tac-Con.

And I think this would be a really nice snag for someone here: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893269567

Ruger SP101 .357 Mag 2.25" 5-shot DAO SS NIB

They are a reputable dealer I have bought form multiple times.

The seller wants either a money order or a certified check. What bothers me, there, is that the dispute resolution tools are rather limited.
    Personally, these days I won't use MO/certified check with any seller, regardless of reputation.

It's simply an archaic and unreliable method of delivering funds. I'm not dropping significant funds into an envelope and crossing my fingers, hoping it gets there.....or, gets there in time before the seller thinks I'm failing to complete the transaction and drops negative feedback on me while it takes 2 months for a check to arrive.

If someone doesn't take CC, PayPal, Zelle, etc, there's no reason they should require MO/certified check when other electronic funds transfer methods exist which aren't the gamble that snail-mail is. Wire transfer, Western Union, so on.

To the OP:

My Gunbroker saved seaches right now are "SP101 Commander" and "KSP-821DOS". I'm also lightly searching for good deals on old series 1 Kimbers and Springfield "1911A1" rollmarked 1911s.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-27-2021 at 01:16 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Here's another one for the antique & piratical fanciers:

Cased set of double barrel belt hook percussion pistols

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890071477

Name:  pix995967603.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  62.6 KB
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Not saying you're wrong to be apprehensive, but as recently as mid-2020 "use a USPS MO or cashier's check" was the payment example in gunbroker's FAQ. It isn't there now so maybe they've finally caught up with the times.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If someone doesn't take CC, PayPal, Zelle, etc, there's no reason they should require MO/certified check when other electronic funds transfer methods exist which aren't the gamble that snail-mail is. Wire transfer, Western Union, so on
    Depending on your bank Zelle has fewer assurances than postal money orders. Once you send the money, it's theirs. Even as awesome as NFCU is I don't think they have a "do over" policy. If you intentionally sent money to "bob@example.com" or "555-867-5309" then the money's theirs. That they engaged in a fraudulent online transaction doesn't matter. USPS MOs at least have the mail fraud angle, though I've never had to purse it.

edit: This is in the NFCU Zelle faq:

What if I accidentally send money to the wrong person?

Sending funds with Zelle is similar to using cash. You don’t have protections if you send money to the wrong person, and you may not be able to get your money back. (For more information, see the Zelle Payment Terms.) Before sending any money, make sure your recipient's contact information is correct and that the recipient is someone you know and trust.

If you sent money to the wrong person, we recommend contacting the recipient and requesting the money be returned. For information on how you may be able to cancel a payment, please see Section 8, “Can I cancel a payment?”

What if I don’t receive the items I bought?

You shouldn’t use Zelle to purchase things from people you don’t know and trust. There’s no dispute process/purchase protection if you don’t receive goods you were promised, and you’d have to handle the matter directly with the recipient yourself. However, if you notice other errors or unauthorized charges, please contact us as soon as possible at 1-888-868-8123.
    I assume the Bank of America / Chase / WF faq is basically just

Because they're not in a monogamous relationship with their customers and don't mind if other people fuck them too.
    Last edited by jh9; 02-27-2021 at 04:37 PM.

@jh9

Realistically, there is no greater accountability of that money order after you give it to them. The idea that you have more assurances with a USPS MO than Zelle or any other service is kind of a pipedream.

If you read my message, however, that wasn't really my problem with MOs, anyway. My post was addressing the angle of the money even reaching them to begin with.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List