Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ER_STL family vacation - 2018

ER_STL family vacation - 2018

For the last five years we’ve been going to OBX in North Carolina for a yearly family vacation. This year I’d like to break from that tradition and head out to the West somewhere, where ‘West’ means anything to the West of Missouri. The problem is we’ve never been that direction and I have little on which to base a decision on destination other than what I’ve been getting from other people. Initial thoughts are Colorado, Northern Arizona and Southern Utah.

We’re a standard family of four and will be driving out of the STL Missouri area. Site-seeing and small hiking trips are certainly in scope; more serious wilderness type adventures such as rafting and remote camping are probably beyond our current capabilities. So with that said, I’m interested in feedback from those who either live out to the West or have found a favorite vacation spot out that way. Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

Checknout the area around Moab, Utah. If nothing else, you’ll see where Wile E. Coyote came from.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I'll have to put in a plug for Rocky Mountain National Park.

https://rockymountainnationalpark.com/

Site Supporter
    Yellowstone

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Yellowstone
    Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
    - Yogi Berra

Stop in sunny Overland Park, and you might never leave!

I have very fond memories of a trip to the Black Hills as a little boy; I’d like to go back with my boy sometime.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Sedona, AZ - Grand Canyon area.

Sedona has beautiful hikes. Travel through the Coconino National Forrest. There is lots to see and do there. Head north to Flagstaff and make a left to get to the Grand Canyon. It cannot be appreciated properly by photos or videos. Get below the rim on the South Kaibob or Bright Angel trails for a true appreciation of its vastness.
    Last edited by Jason M; 03-04-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    When my kids were younger (pre teen} we enjoyed summer trips up to winter park CO..
    The kids enjoyed doing day camp at the YMCA camp in Fraser. Horseback, hiking, etc while mom and dad relaxed at the off season slop side restaurants and activities. We found a great Rodeo and the July 4th fireworks show was great. Easy access to grand lake for boating and hiking, and RMNP.

FWIW, We're very much OBX people. My in laws have a place in Hatteras and we vacation in OBX often. But we also loved winter park.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Er,
    You didn't mention how much time you have available for vacation.
    The time you have available might dictate where you go and what you do.
    If you are going to hike and sight see Utah should probably on your radar.
    You didn't mention it, but the Black Hills area of South Dakota is eventually a must see area with other touristic visits to be had heading to and from that area.
    Southwest Colorado could be a good area because of the proximity to areas such as Mesa Verde and Four corners. It also puts you in proximity to southeast Utah and sights to see there.
    So much to see, so little time.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

We've been spending summer vacations in CO for many years. After seeing most of the state, SW CO is our favorite, mainly because we love the jeep trails around Silverton and Ouray. Black Bear and Imogeme Passes are awesome trails to experience.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FOG; 03-04-2018 at 03:57 PM.

User Tag List