Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Ranger plug-in hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Hmmmm.

I'm primed to replace my 2001 F150 with a current generation Ranger.

I'm trying to decide if waiting for the PEHV Ranger is a good idea, or if being the first adopter of a new model is for suckers.
    My take is PEHV or even most hybrid systems are inherently more modular than a comparable ICE, lots of plug and play of known components. You effectively take out the entire transmission from the equation. A bit more complexity at the wheel with individual motors, but offsetting gearing and other mechanical items pretty well. In other words, somewhat less risky in a light duty truck.

With the hybrid F150 on the streets, a similar Ranger strikes me as a good idea. My dad has 200k on a 1999 Ranger. I tried the Chevy and Dodge smalltruck alternatives and they have nothing on Ford’s 20 year old truck.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Hmmmm.

I'm primed to replace my 2001 F150 with a current generation Ranger.

I'm trying to decide if waiting for the PEHV Ranger is a good idea, or if being the first adopter of a new model is for suckers.
    Keep in mind they haven't actually said when, or if, it'll be available in the US.

My wife wants to test drive a Bronco once the hype settles and things are normal. I suspect the plan is to give her car to our son when he's out of the house and replace with something...Bronco-y. Assuming the test drive is positive.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

For the American market, it strikes me that the way to our hearts is using the "hybrid" aspect to sell us a car with higher performance than that without and you'll start to make inroads on all of us "old V8" guys.

or, you do this, and you make me desperately want a Mach E (a can that, prior to seeing this video, wasn't even on my radar)!
    This was the Toyota did with the current RAV4 hybrid. Same engine as non-hybrid, it's just also got a battery for more initial power and some very real fuel efficiency gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    This was the Toyota did with the current RAV4 hybrid. Same engine as non-hybrid, it's just also got a battery for more initial power and some very real fuel efficiency gains.
    And apparently it’s quicker than the Supra in some tests, which seems pretty cool for a little econo SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    My take is PEHV or even most hybrid systems are inherently more modular than a comparable ICE, lots of plug and play of known components. You effectively take out the entire transmission from the equation. A bit more complexity at the wheel with individual motors, but offsetting gearing and other mechanical items pretty well. In other words, somewhat less risky in a light duty truck.
    I bet an entire plug in electric vehicle has fewer moving parts than in the four cam chains of my 3.5EB. And this is why I also think established makers are going to be able to challenge Musk more than he probably thinks. Ford is already making trucks in volume, they can omit incredibly complex IC engines and transmissions with a thousand individual pieces and replace with four relatively simple electric motors and a big battery cell where the transmission and fuel tank used to be.

Tesla contends that people do not like the dealer experience, but that might change some when they all have charging stations bolted to the wall. Harley strives to make their stores a destination, Ford dealers can start selling branded lifestyle products in the showroom where you can browse new vehicles while chatting with like minded people who are also waiting for a charge.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Hey Honda, you know that AWD hybrid electric system you have in the front of the NSX? The one that can vector drive inputs? Put that in the back of a Civic Type R...
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    And apparently it’s quicker than the Supra in some tests, which seems pretty cool for a little econo SUV.
    This was the article that sorta opened my eyes to some of the performance hybrid possibilities (ETA: basically uncoupling the two ends of the car):
    https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-2016-feature/

TLDR:

Name:  NSX.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  66.0 KB
    Last edited by mmc45414; 02-25-2021 at 08:30 AM.

Yeah, the other car mentioned in that article, the Porsche 918, is the one that really has my attention. It's flat-out amazing. If only they weren't absurdly, ridiculously expensive. The tech will trickle down eventually, though...

My wife's current vehicle is a 2017 Mustang GT Premium. The plan is to replace it with an AWD Mach E sometime in 2023-2024. The exact date depends on how desperate the OEMs are to sell as we always buy when demand is low and everyone is eager to make a deal. The goal is to purchase when the OEMs are desperate enough to offer good financing rates and good cash incentives that can both be used on the same transaction. We also want to wait until most of the "new design issues" have been solved and never purchase the first year of a new design or major powertrain change. Spent enough years in vehicle assembly plants to have learned that lesson. I figure the second or third full year of production will be a good time to purchase as the economy should be a dumpster fire and the quality/design issues will be resolved while the major cost cutting has not gone into effect.

On the range issue, the 2017 GT has a range of about 300-320 miles on 93 octane. The plug-in will have a range close to that. The way we use her vehicle, it will almost always get charged in our garage, so range should never be an issue. In fact, she should rarely need to refuel away from home based on our current usage patterns. We use my Taurus for road trips as it is quieter, more comfortable, and less expensive to fuel (no need for 93 octane plus better MPG). According to my math, even with gas at $2.00 per gallon and TVA rates doubled, we will save money on "fuel" costs for her vehicle. That is more than somewhat offset by the $15K higher MSRP on the Mach E. We will spend more in total, but the performance level will be increased from where we are today.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    This was the article that sorta opened my eyes to some of the performance hybrid possibilities (ETA: basically uncoupling the two ends of the car):
    https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-2016-feature/

TLDR:

Name:  NSX.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  66.0 KB
    Even as a non car guy I find the hybrid technology stuff they’re doing fascinating, plus I’ve always just had a thing for the NSX.
    Here’s the article about the RAV4 Prime:
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
    Unlike the NSX I just might be able to own one of these someday [emoji41]

after driving in to work this morning, eyeing the HOV lane the whole way...

The other thing for me re: hybrids is getting me legally into that lane for commutes.

If someone can take the current Mustang/V90/F150/Ford Transit/Miata/whateverthehell and give me BOOSTED performance by adding some batteries and a motor AND get me better fuel efficiency to get me into that lane... Damn I'd be all over it. Hell, I might even buy a Ranger at that point!

As it is, if I could find someone in Florida that's successfully gotten the HOV sticker on their Volvo Xc60 T8, I'd probably go buy one tomorrow. The hybrid gets 400hp and does 0-6 0 in under 5 seconds. The next step down, the T6, takes 6 seconds.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List