Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Ranger plug-in hybrid

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Ford Ranger plug-in hybrid

https://fordauthority.com/2021/02/20...ext-gen-model/

A leaked document indicated that this new drivetrain would consist of an electric motor paired with Ford’s 2.3L EcoBoost I-4 gasoline engine to produce a combined 270 kW (362 horsepower) and 680 Nm (501 pound-feet) of torque.
    If those numbers are right, that's a stupendous amount of power for a midsize truck. Will the Europeans keep all the cool toys or will it make it's way to the US? No range worries since you have the gas motor on board. With that kind of power on tap for passing, that could be a really fun truck. It'd also be sexy in the new Bronco.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

If those numbers are right, that's a stupendous amount of power for a midsize truck. Will the Europeans keep all the cool toys or will it make it's way to the US? No range worries since you have the gas motor on board. With that kind of power on tap for passing, that could be a really fun truck. It'd also be sexy in the new Bronco.
    Had some Brits visit in late 2019. One of them, Steve, was a car guy. He was talking about the new big Ford trucks that were the rage in the UK - the Ranger. He said there was no where to park them, as they did not fit into parking spaces, ramps or even some streets. Said they were $50000+ status symbols in England.

I told him my weekend car had a 5.8L. His local hot rod was a 2.3L.

I drove a fleet edition Ford Escape Hybrid, a 2011 I think, for a few years. Good acceleration until 45mph and the wimpy gas engine took over (which was mostly computer tuning). Great gas mileage unless it was below 25 degrees or I turned on the AC, then the MPG dropped 15-20%. It was a nice city ride and just fine on the interstate. No hesitation as a POV if the price was comparable to a traditional ICE model.

Site Supporter

Man, a plug in hybrid mid size pickup/SUV would check a hell of a lot of boxes. Efficient daily driver, long range that can immediately refuel, a little cargo capacity, some rough road/bad weather capability. Is the modern Ranger body on frame or unibody?

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Man, a plug in hybrid mid size pickup/SUV would check a hell of a lot of boxes. Efficient daily driver, long range that can immediately refuel, a little cargo capacity, some rough road/bad weather capability. Is the modern Ranger body on frame or unibody?
    Body on frame.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...t-look-review/

The five-passenger, body-on-frame Ranger does not have an aluminum body. It is steel, like the global pickup it is based on. The North American version has a new fully boxed frame.

Eh...Yawn. The Raptor would maybe get a look. A Coyote offering would have my full attention.

If those numbers are right, that's a stupendous amount of power for a midsize truck.
    With the ten speed tranny they are pretty darn peppy with just the 2.3EB.

We rented a Volvo V90 plug-in hybrid in Norway. Thing was a beast.

On the flipside, I recall a coworker 10+ years ago with... maybe a Prius? batteries died on I95 and he had to limp home on the highway at 15 mph.

For the American market, it strikes me that the way to our hearts is using the "hybrid" aspect to sell us a car with higher performance than that without and you'll start to make inroads on all of us "old V8" guys.

or, you do this, and you make me desperately want a Mach E (a can that, prior to seeing this video, wasn't even on my radar)!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    For the American market, it strikes me that the way to our hearts is using the "hybrid" aspect to sell us a car with higher performance than that without and you'll start to make inroads on all of us "old V8" guys.
    That's me.

I don't want an all electric vehicle. I want my 800+ miles in a day trips without much fuss. That's why I spec'd the bigger tank in my truck. I do like instant passing power on tap, I do like long range, and I do like push-you-back-in-the-seat acceleration. I don't care about incremental fuel economy differences.

I will say I also like certain aesthetics, though. I get a turbo 4 will never sound like a V8...but at least it's not just wrrrrrrr.

Hmmmm.

I'm primed to replace my 2001 F150 with a current generation Ranger.

I'm trying to decide if waiting for the PEHV Ranger is a good idea, or if being the first adopter of a new model is for suckers.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Hey Honda, you know that AWD hybrid electric system you have in the front of the NSX? The one that can vector drive inputs? Put that in the back of a Civic Type R...

User Tag List