Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you *really* need to do inspections on duty weapons?

I had no long gun in the car for a week becuase someone needed it for deer season. After that I made sure I was able to qual with as many POWs as I could.

We (the three armorers) do an annual inspection. In our office.

Cracked slides, cracked frames, missing grip screws, electrical tape holding trigger guards on M4s, hello kitty magazine base plates, punisher skulls stipples on Glocks, chipped extractors, and rust galore.

Oh hell yes, you need to inspect guns.

“I don’t know how that happened”[emoji849][emoji849]. Uh, YOU broke it, that’s what happened.

#ThisIsWhyWeCantHaveNiceThings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

When I transferred to the division I wound up retiring from, my newly issued P226 was fitted with Hogue rubber grips. I hate rubber pistol grips and wanted the original factory grips returned. The Troop pistol armorer acted as if it was a huge inconvenience to turn four screws (since by policy I wasn't allowed). In the five years he served as armorer he never once maintenanced my pistol, or anyone else's, although I'm sure he falsified records to show it.

The rifle armorer was also a lazy fuck who never checked my M4. I'd turn it in on schedule, but he never really touched it. He once told me, "You know more about it than I do. I'm sure if anything goes wrong wrong you'll fix it." When they took away my awesome Benelli semi-auto shotgun and saddled me with a piece of shite Mossberg 590, I had a major reliability issue, that I was positive was being caused by a defective follower. It took me two years to convince them I knew what I was talking about. When it was finally sent back to shitberg what was the determination? Bad follower.

The pistol armorer had to issue me a spare one morning so he could hang onto my issued G22. He'd reinstalled something backwards and couldn't get it back apart. At my current job, I was having issues with premature slide lock on my ancient Glock 23. It took me quite a bit of head banging to convince the USMS armorer that the slide stop spring needed replacement.

Yes, cops do some boneheaded things, but don't throw too many stones in that glass house.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 03-05-2021 at 02:20 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    When I transferred to the division I wound up retiring from, my newly issued P226 was fitted with Hogue rubber grips. I hate rubber pistol grips and wanted the original factory grips returned. The Troop pistol armorer acted as if it was a huge inconvenience to turn four screws (since by policy I wasn't allowed).
    The agent in charge of issuing our firearms and leather gear at my first outfit told me that I "owed" him for providing me with a S&W Model 15, 36 and holsters. I asked him if I wasn't supposed to be issued this gear, or did it somehow come from his private collection. Went over his head.

Amazing.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

My dept doesn't issue weapons so we're on the hook for maintenance and repairs. A cleaning room is available and usually my squad would practice on duty at our range once a month and we cleaned weapons afterwards. As a supervisor, at least I knew they were shooting and had cleaned and lubricated guns.

When I was a motor officer I always had to stay on top of gun maintenance. If I went more than a month without cleaning my stainless 226 looked like this. Road grime from the freeways and constantly being rained on caused a few minor rust issues. I finally decided to go back to Glock and it fared much better.

Last edited by andre3k; 03-05-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Wow! I'm not a cop, but have a few friends that are, and none of them are 'gun guys'. (they own/carry them on duty, but rarely shoot them, outside of when they have to qualify).
    The stories in this thread are mind-boggling to say the least, assuming this is typical for every PD in the country. What fascinates me is, how cops (primarily street patrol) could VERY easily end up in a situation where they NEED the ability to shoot well, yet do so little shooting other than when they are required to do so.
    Making sure on a daily basis, that your gun is clean and operable, is not much to ask, assuming the consequences if it doesn't go bang when you need it to.
    I'm 100% in support of LE, but it's just interesting to hear how much negligence there is in the context of simple maintenance and seeking additional training, even if it's on your own dime. I can't imagine being in a situation where I NEED a BANG, and get a dead trigger, because I didn't load my gun after I qualified...holy shit!

Respectfully.

Today was a prime example of why we need inspections. SWAT training in the pouring rain for hours. I reminded everyone to make sure they took their weapons in cleaned them so we don’t end up with a bunch of rusted weapons. I learned that the hard way years ago. Dumb shit put a soaked MP in the gun cabinet and left it there. When I pulled it out the next month it was a rusted mess. Took me hours to get it serviceable.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    On the opposite end of the spectrum, on at least two occasions, armorers at my former agency did inspection and/or maintenance to officers' pistols and returned them in inoperable condition. In one instance, the officer (not a gun guy, but not a problem shooter) discovered the issue when he attempted to qualify for an off-duty "air marshal" position at some non-airline aviation company that required armed security on flights.

One of the instructors for the company apparently knew more about SigSauer 226 pistols than our armorer and got the weapon running. As anyone in law enforcement would expect, there was much more concern about anyone other than an agency armorer working on an issue firearm than the fact some cop was sent out to face the hordes of barbarians (and skyjackers, I guess) than an armorer putting a non-functioning weapon on a cop's hip. A that point, the firearms training coordinator mandated that armorers do a function check before returning a weapon to service. Wait...what? You people don't do function checks after you work on a gun?

Before I became a firearms instructor, I could guarantee aa quick turnaround when I turned my pistol in for maintenance. It seemed to distress one instructor that I declined to carry a loaner 226 on duty and rode out with a hard-chromed 228 in my holster.

Yes. I am aware of a few cases like that at my agency. One 870 that was so rusted the department just took it out of the dudes last check when he moved on. Massive turd.

Second one is a half- dime sized rust in the chamber of a Glock Gen5. That Deputy had it for about a year, also moved on, Massive turd.

I am not a Detective or Investigator, but I believe that is called a clue.

There was an incident at my Fed Agency while I was there, an Agent assigned to the ATV Unit had a bad wreck and a fall onto some rocks. He was ok as far as I remember, but he didn't discover that his rear sight had been moved by the impact until the next quarterly qual when his grouping moved drastically. After that I have always inspected things like that after fights or impacts to the equipment.

User Tag List