Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to revolver world and getting up to speed

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Im actually going to be the voice of dissent, and I primarily carry revolvers. I think if you are using a 365 and its working then stick with it for pocket carry.

If you wanted to start carrying a revolver on the belt then thats different. A k frame is a good start. If youre looking for gym shorts carry than I think a 2" m64 with barami grips is the way to go imo.

Pocket carry in gym shorts is a floppy mess.

The k frame will give you a better grip and trigger to learn on with more room to learn how to reload efficiently with.
    I never expected to read this comment from a guy who is so revolver focused. I hate to admit I agree. If ammo were plenty I may think differently. If I could order a 642 and a case of wadcutters I would feel differently as well.

The 365 is a strong choice and probably easier to learn how to operate well. Lots of ammo in a small package.
    Of course a snub does what a snub does better than anything. For me that's pocket carry and indexes like nothing else in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Pocket carry in gym shorts is a floppy mess.
    *cough*

Lcr's are on my revolver-curious list as well. My 45 acp 325 pd bid turned out poorly, more so than the S & W Performance Center 1911 with which I had far less interest... and won. My Colt Cobra, meanwhile, continues to hate me.
    Last edited by randyho; 02-22-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post

The Lucky Gunner Lounge and Revolver Guy websites have some excellent information.
    +1 on the RevolverGuy.com recommendation. I also suggest making your way to Greg Ellifritz's snubby class (there's an AAR on here somewhere--offer to host it if he's not in your area). If that's not feasible, at least read Ed Lovette's book.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbway View Post
    +1 on the RevolverGuy.com recommendation. I also suggest making your way to Greg Ellifritz's snubby class (there's an AAR on here somewhere--offer to host it if he's not in your area). If that's not feasible, at least read Ed Lovette's book.
    I'll second the part about training (at least once ammo is available again), with any of the handful of people recommended by those on this forum. In my case and specific to snubbies, it's been Chuck Haggard and Claude Werner. It will get you up the learning curve a whole lot faster, and might surprise with what those little snubbies are capable of. They do require a little extra effort; a K-frame is easier to shoot well than a J-frame, but if the goal is deep concealment pocket carry then it's hard to beat a J-frame or LCR. Life is trade-offs, and your goals will drive the decision.

Age and eyesight will influence choice of sights. Rudimentary trough sights work fine at 30, not so much a couple decades later. I can make a 642 work, but for me there are better choices.

I am in a very weak-signal area, on a mobile device, at the moment, making locating the links problematic, so I will recommend finding the Primary & Secondary you-tube channel video on the subject of snubby revolvers, in which the panel guests are Darryl Bolke, and, Chris, the Lucky Gunner video guy. This discussion can also be found as a podcast, but one will miss some of the visual information.

Lucky Gunner has its own you-tube channel. See their revolver, stuff, too.

Learn the revolver because of valid reasons, in your life, not just because it is trendy.

My first handgun was a Detonics* 1911, in late 1982 or early 1983, at age 21, so, I was an early believer in auto-loaders, and thought, at the time, that revolvers were quaint, but, by late 1983 I was attending a big-city police department’s academy, which required me to buy or otherwise possess a 4” S&W L-Frame revolver, if I did not already own/possess a suitable 4” DA revolver made by S&W, Colt, or Ruger. During my first year of sworn service, starting in March 1984, I was mandated to use only DA revolvers, for all defensive hand-gunning purposes, on or off the clock. So, I made a diligent effort to learn the revolver, inside, outside, and upside down, before I really got a chance to learn the 1911 well. So, revolvers became “natural.” I have, by now, used both autos and revolvers for 3.5 decades, not seeing either as best for all times, all places, or all tasks.

Skipping forward to 2021, a time when an aging hand does not always do what my brain tells it to do, a revolver does not care if I may be limp-wristing or numb-thumbing. So, autos are now supplemental, with revolvers being vital. This is my leading valid reason, for revolving.

*Seemed a good choice, at the time, mostly because it was made of stainless steel, an advantage for the amount of time I spent near salt water, and because that was not a happy time for Colt quality control.
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-23-2021 at 12:33 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Entry level the LCR beats the 642 in every way except for size. The LCR is just a touch bigger as you can see in the Lucky Gunner review.

There is a lot going for the 22LR snubby. Higher capacity, no recoil, cheap to feed and downright fun to shoot. I’ve converted a few folks to snubbies and they enjoyed their choice but after picking up a 22LR version they admitted they shoot the 22 better and enjoy it far more.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    There is a lot going for the 22LR snubby. Higher capacity, no recoil, cheap to feed and downright fun to shoot. I’ve converted a few folks to snubbies and they enjoyed their choice but after picking up a 22LR version they admitted they shoot the 22 better and enjoy it far more.
    And if ammo reliability is a concern with rimfire pulling the trigger again is easier than Tap-Rack-Bang.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And if ammo reliability is a concern with rimfire pulling the trigger again is easier than Tap-Rack-Bang.
    Not so much an issue with CCI Mini-Mags or Velocitors. They both also get to the minimum 12” of penetration in ballistic gel.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Not so much an issue with CCI Mini-Mags or Velocitors.
    Yes, those are what I would use and recommend, I only mentioned it because it is a common argument against rimfire defensive guns.

IMO there are a lotta people that would be much better off with a .22 they took the the range every week instead of a 9mm they shot the day they bought it and it scared them.

Thank you for the replies. Ammo is definitely even worse for revolver land right now.

User Tag List