Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to revolver world and getting up to speed

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And if ammo reliability is a concern with rimfire pulling the trigger again is easier than Tap-Rack-Bang.
    I’ve had nearly 100% reliability with CCI Stingers out of my 43c. The caveat is the ammo has to be cycled on a regular basis due to the relative fragility of the priming method compared to a centerfire. The frequency of cycling out ammo depends on how much the gun gets banged around during the course of one’s daily activities.

I carry 8 CCI Stingers in the cylinder and a Tuff Strip with 6 more in a 2x2x2 configuration. I try to cycle those out at least once a month but preferably once every two weeks. My job requires me to be in a lot of non typical positions and the gun in a pocket holster does get bumped a lot.

The LCR is much easier to shoot well than the Airlight J frames. Even so I’d not recommend either chambered in .38 Special to a revolver novice as their entry into the world of shooting revolvers proficiently. At a minimum I’d start off with an all steel frame, preferably a K frame. The ubiquitous model 10 in one of its myriad forms comes to mind.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17 View Post
    Thank you for the replies. Ammo is definitely even worse for revolver land right now.
    It eventually pays, to have a rimfire “understudy” gun, that is functionally similar to one’s carry gun. Rimfire ammo is less expensive, and, in the time time of panicdemicness, more available than centerfire revolver ammo. The difference, of course, is that today’s rimfire prices are seeming like pre-panicdemic centerfire prices.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    I carry a J frame at times for convenience or dress restrictions. What I did was take Claude Werner's snubby class and then shot said J frames quite a bit in club match IDPA. Must have put several hundred rounds through matches. Also, where I used to live we had short range specialized matches (I wrote them up in AAR) and I shot the 642 in those. I also shot my J frame SW 632 in the matches. Sometimes I won revolver (as I was the only guy shooting revolver - haha). I also put about two hundred rounds down range in the square range with the revolvers. I feel that I shoot them quite decently. Practice on the square range for trigger, sights, etc. and then competition for more dynamic action. That with a good class as suggested, will do it.

My most carried J is the SW 432 with 32 HR mags of various sorts. Light weight, 6 shots - reasonable bang output.

Of course, one must say - I prefer a Glock and an extra mag but the J's work when constrained. Got a CT on the 642. Should get around to one on the 432 but other priorities intervene.

I swear, with all this J-frame talk I start wondering about some more of them, and I already have more of them than I need, and typically carry the same one when I do.

But that 43c with the eight rounds and cylinder as light as the PD guns...
    But the (until now not mentioned?) 317 is nearly as light, might AIWB better, and has nice sights...

And I have also wanted to try an LCR, only a few ounces more...
    And I have also wanted to try a 9mm, and there is that 9mm LCR option...

But I have been buying rifle stuff, and optics, and bullets, and, and, and, ARGHHHHH!!!!

Site Supporter
    PS - when I said I put 200 rounds down the square range, that isn't too much. However, I forgot to say recently. That was just a couple of practice sessions. Not the entire package. I found in the short range match, where we had a moderately long range (for a short range match) one head shot mandated to do it to stop the mad bomber, I could do it with a 642. I do like that gun. I noted elsewhere, you can't see the red laser dot outdoors in TX unless you are so close you don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I swear, with all this J-frame talk I start wondering about some more of them, and I already have more of them than I need, and typically carry the same one when I do.

But that 43c with the eight rounds and cylinder as light as the PD guns...
    But the (until now not mentioned?) 317 is nearly as light, might AIWB better, and has nice sights...

And I have also wanted to try an LCR, only a few ounces more...
    And I have also wanted to try a 9mm, and there is that 9mm LCR option...

But I have been buying rifle stuff, and optics, and bullets, and, and, and, ARGHHHHH!!!!
    The 43c has an XS dot out front. I found the sights on the 317 to be suboptimal for my purposes so I traded it decor a 12-2.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    The 43c has an XS dot out front.
    They are nice! I have the same on my 360 and I did this to my 637 and 638 (I told ya I have too many... )

ETA: I had to revise the model number for the 637 twice before I remembered correctly, I for sure have tooo many!

User Tag List