Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Miracle on Ice"

"Miracle on Ice"

Click on link will play the video
    "February 22, 1980, the United States Olympic hockey team pulled off one of the greatest upsets in sports history, defeating the Soviet Union, 4-3."

One of the great moments in USA sports. I had tears in my eyes then...and it was a little dusty in the room when I just watched the video.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post

"February 22, 1980, the United States Olympic hockey team pulled off one of the greatest upsets in sports history, defeating the Soviet Union, 4-3."
    As an aside: The movie "Miracle" (based on the above) starred Kurt Russell whose son, Wyatt, played hockey for the UAH Chargers alongside Cam Talbot (who's now in the NHL).

Wyatt Earp reppin your alma matter is cool. Usually we just get NASA engineers as alumni, not major movie or sports stars.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    One of the great moments in USA sports. I had tears in my eyes then...and it was a little dusty in the room when I just watched the video.
    Same here you old sentimental fool.

Same here you old sentimental fool.
    Heaven knows, Mr. Allison.

I watched that with my Boys Club hockey teammates... It was what inspired me to eventually become a hockey coach for a while in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I watched that with my Boys Club hockey teammates... It was what inspired me to eventually become a hockey coach for a while in the 90's.
    During those Olympics at Lake Placid, much of the High Peaks Region of the Adirondacks was closed off for security reasons.

Right after the games closed out, my climbing buddy from Rochester, MN came to NY and we headed up there for a week or two of winter backpacking. We were the first ones in, and I'd never seen the mountains or the snow so pristine. It was nothing but our own tracks and game trails for the entire time we were in. Not another soul was seen.

Smart of those others as it was friggin' cold. But beautiful.

I have a great passion for hockey...pretty much always have.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    During those Olympics at Lake Placid, much of the High Peaks Region of the Adirondacks was closed off for security reasons.

Right after the games closed out, my climbing buddy from Rochester, MN came to NY and we headed up there for a week or two of winter backpacking. We were the first ones in, and I'd never seen the mountains or the snow so pristine. It was nothing but our own tracks and game trails for the entire time we were in. Not another soul was seen.

Smart of those others as it was friggin' cold. But beautiful.

I have a great passion for hockey...pretty much always have.
    I had a great passion for hockey. Coaching kids took that out of me. The kids were awesome, the parents and the governing association, not so much. My team won a state championship in their age/skills bracket (the first for our association) and I left while I was still on top. That championship team was made up of individuals that are now in their early 40's, several were Marines in Iraq, one is still in Army SF as a warrant officer. I don't think I had one kid on that team that didn't grow up to be an outstanding adult. I'm very proud of them and it's pretty cool that some of them still call me coach and buy the beer when I'm around.

My very good friends have teenagers that play on two teams each; high school and a comp team. My interaction with those higher level teams and their parents over the last couple years has been good, so I'm not nearly as bitter as I once was. Hockey, at the youth level, is a very different game than it was 30 years ago. It is much less physical contact and more skills driven. I was able to coach kids with skills deficits to be able to win through very physical play. What I coached back then would get us thrown out these days. I never coached kids to be dirty, but they were taught to make the other team not even want to be in our end. Oddly enough, I still see the beauty in the skills game and don't mind the less physical contact; I just wouldn't have a clue on how to coach it these days. More and more teams are headed for the less-contact rules and I wouldn't be surprised that it'll make it all the way to the NHL in my lifetime.

Added on edit** We got much of the same types of untouched areas in Alaska during the beginning of Covid. Once the state shut down in late March/April, many of the areas I snowmobiled in were basically untouched. It's pretty magical to hit unbroken powder in areas that typically were overrun with machines.

Thank you. I needed something to feel good about today.

I love it! That’s an old school hockey mask Craig is wearing.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List