Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI on GoRuck

You should buy a GoRuck backpack (I have several), fill it with ammo, and take it to Karl’s class.

Pretty seriously, reddite igitur quæ sunt Cæsaris, Cæsari.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Pretty seriously, reddite igitur quæ sunt Cæsaris, Cæsari.
    Odd context, but weirdly relevant.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    I am considering signing up for this class: https://registration.goruck.com/even...021-0800-16639

Description:

I have no interest whatever in protecting VIP's apart from my family, but I do have a very strong interest in protecting my family and perhaps in certain circumstances (such as at my church) protecting other innocents. For quite awhile now I have been trying to get myself into TAPG, but it never seems to work out. In fact, I had made a firm decision to register for a class they had scheduled in Georgia this spring, but it seems they've canceled it. For some reason, that class just ain't working out for me. I am thinking of this as a kind of semi-stand-in for it, not that protecting a VIP, especially in a small team, would necessarily translate directly to protecting wife or kids.

Anyway, I don't find a lot of AAR's about this training company out there--just one on PF that I've been able to find--and I'm wondering if this would be likely to be a worthwhile class for me. It is a significant investment because it means a night in a hotel plus the ammo and $300 in tuition.

Also, the alternative to this class is Karl Rehn's Tactical Scenarios class in Culpeper in the fall. I cannot do both. I have done airsoft force on force several times in the past with a local trainer. But I'm pretty keen to take the Rehn class. It's a hard choice. Wise comments requested!
    I know nothing of GoRuck.

But, be aware, when I go to FPF Training to look at Rehn's class, it says "sales ended". Not sure if it's full, or if it's not happening, or if maybe tickets didn't yet go on sale. But it's the ONLY course on his site that says that, so you may want to reach out to Murphy to see what the story is with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    I know nothing of GoRuck.

But, be aware, when I go to FPF Training to look at Rehn's class, it says "sales ended". Not sure if it's full, or if it's not happening, or if maybe tickets didn't yet go on sale. But it's the ONLY course on his site that says that, so you may want to reach out to Murphy to see what the story is with that.
    Oh. That's a bit of a blow.

Still, I'm off the GoRuck thing. So it seems I must now seek out another class for the fall.

Oh. That's a bit of a blow.

Still, I'm off the GoRuck thing. So it seems I must now seek out another class for the fall.
    What do you want out of a class?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    What do you want out of a class?
    I'm easy. Whaddya got?

Seriously, like I said earlier, my principal interest is in doing TAPG or similar, but I've got a fairly long list of classes I'd like to take when I can, based on getting a broad view of the field as well as exposure to the best teachers. I'm frankly prepared to compromise somewhat on 'best teachers' when there's some content I'm particularly eager to get, but 'best teachers' aren't doing it anywhere near me in the foreseeable future. I fit in what I can afford and get to.

This year, I'm signed up for ECQC next month and Ernest Langdon's 3 day class this summer. I am teaching summer school so I can afford to do this. On my list of additional classes, in addition to TAPG, are

(A) much more force on force (I can't see how you can do too much of this, though I can see how you can "learn" very wrong stuff by doing it with poor instructors)
    (B) Gabe White
    (C) Ronnie Dodd's 3 day class (I doubt I'll ever be able to justify the full works at Rogers--I'm just a 'hobbyist' as JAD might put it)
    (D) Armed Self Defense (Vehicle Focus) with Jason Kelly
    (E) The two day church security class with Strategos--not the shooting class, the kinda administrative one
    (F) VCQB or similar
    (G) Eventually, a shotgun class.

And because I harbor pretentions of one day instructing at a low level, I am planning to take

(H) Andrew Branca's LOSD Instructor Class and
    (I) Chuck Haggard's Pepper Spray Instructor Class
    Last edited by Moylan; 02-24-2021 at 09:29 AM.

I should add because I hope to get helpful suggestions about other needful classes that I have done a good deal of previous training--not compared to most of you, to be sure--including especially things like "tactical medicine" and other first aid stuff. Looking at my list above, the absence of medical training is the most glaring absence (to me), but that's not because I don't see its importance, it's because I've already done several classes on it and do plan to do my best to keep current.

I'm easy. Whaddya got?

Seriously, like I said earlier, my principal interest is in doing TAPG or similar, but I've got a fairly long list of classes I'd like to take when I can, based on getting a broad view of the field as well as exposure to the best teachers. I'm frankly prepared to compromise somewhat on 'best teachers' when there's some content I'm particularly eager to get, but 'best teachers' aren't doing it anywhere near me in the foreseeable future. I fit in what I can afford and get to.

This year, I'm signed up for ECQC next month and Ernest Langdon's 3 day class this summer. I am teaching summer school so I can afford to do this. On my list of additional classes, in addition to TAPG, are

(A) much more force on force (I can't see how you can do too much of this, though I can see how you can "learn" very wrong stuff by doing it with poor instructors)
    (B) Gabe White
    (C) Ronnie Dodd's 3 day class (I doubt I'll ever be able to justify the full works at Rogers--I'm just a 'hobbyist' as JAD might put it)
    (D) Armed Self Defense (Vehicle Focus) with Jason Kelly
    (E) The two day church security class with Strategos--not the shooting class, the kinda administrative one
    (F) VCQB or similar
    (G) Eventually, a shotgun class.

And because I harbor pretentions of one day instructing at a low level, I am planning to take

(H) Andrew Branca's LOSD Instructor Class and
    (I) Chuck Haggard's Pepper Spray Instructor Class

IF you can make it to Alliance, I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend this course:

https://www.defensiveelements.com/pr...un-4zbjj-tf8sn

They also offer it at MTAC in Indiana.

I took it last summer. See here:

https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress...h-08-22-23-20/

I drove out with one of my mentors, who also mentors these guys. The guy in question helped develop their POI. FWIW, he's a multi-winner of the National Tactical Invitational. And he described it as the best scenario-based training he has seen since NTI, and every bit the equivalent of anything he did with .gov (and his resume there is INSANE).

Feel free to hit me here or via PM if you have any questions.

Also, of the other courses you mentioned, I also did VCQB (also at Alliance). Very good. Also did shoothouse at Alliance with Joe Weyer and the above PracTac guys. VERY good.

I did one class with Jason Kelly, just last year, which was very good, I thought. Also have trained with Chuck Haggard for pepper spray and low-light tactics, and also would highly recommend Tim Chandler and/or Ashton Ray for Shotgun work. AARs are on my blog I linked to above. Have fun!

I've always though GoRuck was cultish and kinda weird. Even their packs look weird to me.

That aside, at a recent Bill Rapier class, the guy next to me on the line had attended a GoRuck class. It was his only other training and he'd enjoyed it. However said guy was a bit of a soup sandwich - poor muzzle control and Bill had to remind him to decock his DASA pistol before holstering. If his gun handling skills were any indication of what he learned (or didn't learn) at GoRuck, I'd give it a pass.

As far as protecting your family, the MUC portion of ECQC is gold. You also might consider prioritizing the medical stuff. First aid, CPR, and stop the bleed classes are easy to find and cheap. TCCC is cool too, but is oriented to serious trauma injuries.

A couple of additional self protection resources I've found useful:

The Gift of Fear - Gavin de Becker. A must read .

Left of Bang - pretty good info.

Sentinel - become the agent in charge of your own protection detail - Pat Mac. Short but some good tips.

As always, YMMV. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I've always though GoRuck was cultish and kinda weird. Even their packs look weird to me.

That aside, at a recent Bill Rapier class, the guy next to me on the line had attended a GoRuck class. It was his only other training and he'd enjoyed it. However said guy was a bit of a soup sandwich - poor muzzle control and Bill had to remind him to decock his DASA pistol before holstering. If his gun handling skills were any indication of what he learned (or didn't learn) at GoRuck, I'd give it a pass.

As far as protecting your family, the MUC portion of ECQC is gold. You also might consider prioritizing the medical stuff. First aid, CPR, and stop the bleed classes are easy to find and cheap. TCCC is cool too, but is oriented to serious trauma injuries.

A couple of additional self protection resources I've found useful:

The Gift of Fear - Gavin de Becker. A must read .

Left of Bang - pretty good info.

Sentinel - become the agent in charge of your own protection detail - Pat Mac. Short but some good tips.

As always, YMMV. Good luck.
    Great info here for the OP. Not sure what it is about ex-SEALs and how they attract DA/SA carriers who don't know enough to decock before holstering, but I ran into the same thing in a KD4 class.

YES YES YES on medical, even if it's just basic first aid. I had to do CPR on my own wife 5 years ago next week (she was under 40 at the time). I could not imagine NOT knowing how to do it.....and to add, being in decent shape makes it a LOT easier to do it until help arrives!

User Tag List