Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI on GoRuck

RFI on GoRuck

I am considering signing up for this class: https://registration.goruck.com/even...021-0800-16639

Description:
    Personal Security Detail is a unique training course that addresses some of the most common concerns associated with using your personal defensive weapon around innocents. In a real-world scenario, you would have extreme stress and crowds of innocent people to negotiate through, two difficult things to simulate in a controlled training environment. Our Cadre will use dry and live fire drills to accustom participants to stressful environments. This course builds confidence and problem-solving skills in some of the most common threat scenarios involving a firearm and protection of a dignitary. By the end of this course, participants will have the opportunity to test their firearms in small teams engaging the threat, protecting a VIP, and getting him or her to safety.
    I have no interest whatever in protecting VIP's apart from my family, but I do have a very strong interest in protecting my family and perhaps in certain circumstances (such as at my church) protecting other innocents. For quite awhile now I have been trying to get myself into TAPG, but it never seems to work out. In fact, I had made a firm decision to register for a class they had scheduled in Georgia this spring, but it seems they've canceled it. For some reason, that class just ain't working out for me. I am thinking of this as a kind of semi-stand-in for it, not that protecting a VIP, especially in a small team, would necessarily translate directly to protecting wife or kids.

Anyway, I don't find a lot of AAR's about this training company out there--just one on PF that I've been able to find--and I'm wondering if this would be likely to be a worthwhile class for me. It is a significant investment because it means a night in a hotel plus the ammo and $300 in tuition.

Also, the alternative to this class is Karl Rehn's Tactical Scenarios class in Culpeper in the fall. I cannot do both. I have done airsoft force on force several times in the past with a local trainer. But I'm pretty keen to take the Rehn class. It's a hard choice. Wise comments requested!
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

I’ve said this before - be careful taking classes from lifestyle brands.

I didn’t have any idea that GoRuck was teaching classes. I can imagine they have a big Instagram presence and the type of students they attract will be different than the type of student Rehn attracts. Even if the instructor is awesome, will the students drag the class down?

Edit: Could be great, but absent more info I’d go with the proven Karl Rehn who has been teaching for 30 years. (In case it wasn’t clear from the above.)
    Last edited by BigD; 02-22-2021 at 01:46 PM.

I think it is telling that there is no instructor listed. I think the instructor is what will make the class.

Karl is a known quantity, Karl is someone you could call and talk to, Karl isn't a lifestyle brand expanding into a market that could be a cash cow. Train with Karl.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I’ve said this before - be careful taking classes from lifestyle brands.

I didn’t have any idea that GoRuck was teaching classes. I can imagine they have a big Instagram presence and the type of students they attract will be different than the type of student Rehn attracts. Even if the instructor is awesome, will the students drag the class down?

Edit: Could be great, but absent more info I’d go with the proven Karl Rehn who has been teaching for 30 years. (In case it wasn’t clear from the above.)
    Thanks! I did not identify GoRuck as a lifestyle brand because I really don't know anything about it apart from...somehow...I forget how...I ran across the fact that they occasionally teach firearms classes within my travel radius. Also because I didn't know what a lifestyle brand is. In googling the notion of lifestyle brand, I think I see what you mean about using a bit of care. This is helpful information!

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I think it is telling that there is no instructor listed. I think the instructor is what will make the class.
    Good point. Their instructors are all supposed to be serious dudes, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean they know how to teach--or how to teach civilians.

Disclaimer: I regularly participate in Goruck events and own some of their products.

A friend and his wife recently attended one of the local Goruck pistol shooting classes. I didn't get much of an AAR about the class other than there were before/after tests, and standards that had to be met in order to pass, aka receive the patch. The instructor was Israeli, I believe. But, they both enjoyed the class and said they would return.

That said, I won't take a class from them, when there are other, more well known instructors available.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Is is weird to quote myself?

I just wanted to add that like @texasaggie2005 I own some GoRuck products (mainly clothing and ruck weights) and have done several of their events. In addition, in the past have worked professionally with at least one of their cadre. I would take a class from him, but I would look at classes/training based on the instructor and not the brand. There has been at least one AAR of Lifestyle brand training classes and the student was disappointed that the instructor was not who he thought it was going to be.

Thanks for the continuing comments! Just by way of additional clarification--I had never heard of GoRuck apart from seeking out pistol classes, and my interest in this particular class was generated solely through the class content, not an interest in GoRuck as such. So while I appreciate my new knowledge about lifestyle brands and such, I was in no sense drawn to this class due to GoRuck's status as a lifestyle brand.

The trouble is, nobody out there is doing TAPG material except Citizens Defense Research, and they're not doing it where/when I can get to it. Not that I'm saying anyone ought to crib their material. But since I can't get to TAPG in the foreseeable future, I'm looking for possible alternatives. "Executive Protection" type stuff seems like it could potentially partly translate to what I'm interested in. Pat MacNamara has a class called Sentinel that might be relevant, and he's only a couple hours away from me, but all the listed classes are sold out. And his class seems more general--like a basics of shooting, medical, hand to hand, and such. Great stuff, and I'd love to do it, but it doesn't seem to overlap very much with TAPG.

Anyone have any alternative suggestions? (I know I could host TAPG, theoretically, but I have no gun club or whatever to offer them.) If any friends of John and Melanie are around, maybe you could ask them to do online seminars with their Saturday lecture material! Seemed to work out OK for John Hearne last month.

Look at John Murphy's classes. I think he covers the type of information you are looking for in particular the Street Encounter Skills and Tactics class work. Good PSD work takes a lot more than 8-10 hours on the range to learn.

User Tag List