Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: 3D targets

  1. #1

    3D targets

    Name:  004A0D2B-C936-4231-A783-B4946BC1091F.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  69.5 KB

    Just got these delivered. Also have the full torso ones on order, but was impressed at how much head is available in profile. Might be fun to practice headshots on something other than full frontal view.

    Targets are cardboard and not much more cost than traditional cardboard targets.



    I could see myself putting a sponge or something in the brain cavity as additional feedback.
    Pointing at cardboard things....

  2. #2
    Site Supporter rob_s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SE FL
    Many moons ago, we rigged up a target system whereby it was supported by a balloon concealed behind the cardboard. You didn't know if the balloon was a head or a heart holding up the target. Shoot it until the target falls down. While not particularly "fair" from a competition standpoint (this was for a carbine match) it did make things interesting.

    Seeing these in 3D gets me interested in doing something like that again.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

  3. #3
    Site Supporter Erick Gelhaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Many moons ago, we rigged up a target system whereby it was supported by a balloon concealed behind the cardboard. You didn't know if the balloon was a head or a heart holding up the target. Shoot it until the target falls down. While not particularly "fair" from a competition standpoint (this was for a carbine match) it did make things interesting.

    Seeing these in 3D gets me interested in doing something like that again.
    We used the boxy, squared IPSC 3D torso/head assemblies with balloons for the heart/CNS or head. They were beneficial; replacing balloons was somewhat time-consuming with student numbers and available time.

  4. #4
    Site Supporter rob_s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SE FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    We used the boxy, squared IPSC 3D torso/head assemblies with balloons for the heart/CNS or head. They were beneficial; replacing balloons was somewhat time-consuming with student numbers and available time.
    we either didn't know those existed, or didn't have the budget for them. I think this would have been around the 2002-04 timeframe.

    When I found out about those later on I thought "damn, they stole our idea!" haha!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

  5. #5
    There was a steel target on a ratchet, you did not know how many notches it was set in, keep shooting until it falls.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    There was a steel target on a ratchet, you did not know how many notches it was set in, keep shooting until it falls.
    If I am thinking of the same target you are, it's the MGM Triple Dropper.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    There was a steel target on a ratchet, you did not know how many notches it was set in, keep shooting until it falls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    If I am thinking of the same target you are, it's the MGM Triple Dropper.
    Yes. I own one of those too.

    Name:  AD8AF6DE-345C-4702-98F2-25F967A4B372.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  70.3 KB

    Actually now that I think about it... if I attach the cardboard target in front of the triple dropper that might be a fun combination.
    Pointing at cardboard things....

  8. #8
    That rotating servo set-up is pretty darn slick with a 3D target. Is that a complete kit from somewhere or did you radio shack together the whole deal complete with remote?

    Brain sponge is a pretty solid notion too, imo.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    That rotating servo set-up is pretty darn slick with a 3D target. Is that a complete kit from somewhere or did you radio shack together the whole deal complete with remote?

    Brain sponge is a pretty solid notion too, imo.
    Itís called the Pivotal Trainer

    https://www.triumph-systems.com/coll...ivotal-trainer

    Looks like they are $549 now? I bought mine a couple years ago on a promotion and looking at receipts I paid $210 shipped for it. I think itíd be more useful in a class or with buddy drills. I used it for Airsoft draws (it has a time delay turn) on small targets to practice rapid index on a target that doesnít have a static presentation.
    Pointing at cardboard things....

  10. #10
    That is outstanding, might get some of those.

    I think just some simple steel, like 6" circle behind chest, or 3"-4" behind head would be great for instant "good hit feedback.

    Put shirts and hats on them, put some of them as non-combatants among the bad guys, lot of potential there.

    Also for retention shooting, at contact distance (albeit sans the steel and with a longer torso) these would be good. Makes it that much more personal, for lack of a better term.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •