Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cop Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Nelson Sylvia, a Houston silversmith, made butt plates for S&W target grips, for a number of officers and deputies in the Houston area, but he/they may not have been the only such maker. I never liked S&W target grips, so was never a customer for the butt plate. I do wish I had gotten Nelson Sylvia to make me one of his badges, using a Mexican Cinco Peso silver coin, in the manner of the traditional Texas Ranger badges, but never got around to it, before he retired/passed.
    Thats the name I was trying to remember, for some reason Herman Meuschke came to mind.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Holster appears to be an Audley or a copy thereof. Spring steel tab's edge pressed against the inside front of the trigger guard, to hold the gun in place. To draw, finger entered trigger guard in front of trigger and pressed that tab inward and out of the way. Sends cold shivers up the back of anyone teaching firearms safety today.

The Model 28 in question, if it lived in that holster, will have a wear mark inside the front of the trigger, from that contact.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    This keeps reminding me that I passed on picking up a NYSP Model 28 back when they hit the market. I don't really regret the guns that I didn't buy, but one of those....... ah, well.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I have no idea what going on with the grips. It looks like they don't fit the gun.

They are K frame grips. They go on, but illustrate the difference between K and N frames well. It would likely not be pleasant to shoot with magnum loads much like that. As someone said, the originals may have been beat up from carrying, someone may have acquired those as replacements not knowing the difference until installed. Back in the day, many gun shops had boxes of factory and aftermarket take-off grips for $15-$20, often less for aftermarkets.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Awesome piece of history, surprised it hasn't sold yet.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    They are K frame grips. They go on, but illustrate the difference between K and N frames well. It would likely not be pleasant to shoot with magnum loads much like that. As someone said, the originals may have been beat up from carrying, someone may have acquired those as replacements not knowing the difference until installed. Back in the day, many gun shops had boxes of factory and aftermarket take-off grips for $15-$20, often less for aftermarkets.
    It was also done deliberately at times. For some, the width of the wood at the hump can.ahhravate the base knuckle of the thumb. Some, like me with certain aftermarket target-style stocks, remove wood to fit. Others needed the bare steel to fit or found slapping on smaller stocks to be the easy answer.

As for controllability, the narrow frame in the web of the hand may actually reduce the propensity for magnum loads to tear skin on some individuals. May well feel it by the end of qual day but at least wouldn't be bleeding.

Not sure about when the officer was with the Houston Park Police, but, as a Houston Police Department Officer, he may well have carried .38 Special duty ammo, in his .357 revolver. Most did so; only the “gun guys” tended to buy .357 Mag duty ammo. Yes, we not only bought our duty guns, but also our duty ammo, within broad guidelines. (The present chief, having a background with CA Highway Patrol, may or may not have changed this policy, since I retired in 2018.)

I also noticed, in the printed document accompanying the auction, the officer’s date of birth being hand-written. That would have meant that he was aged 65, at 18 years of service, so, he was eligible to collect his pension, immediately upon leaving, in spite of not yet having 20 full years of service with the city.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List