Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cop Gun

Site Supporter

Cop Gun

I know several of the regulars here are from SE Texas and might appreciate this, if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101588101

I started my LEO career carrying a M28-2 which is why it caught my eye. Not in the market for one so I thought someone here might be.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I know several of the regulars here are from SE Texas and might appreciate this, if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101588101

I started my LEO career carrying a M28-2 which is why it caught my eye. Not in the market for one so I thought someone here might be.

Dave
    I saw that the other day, really cool looking package. Is that holster cut to get your finger on the trigger in the holster?
    Last edited by UNK; 02-21-2021 at 09:15 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Double tap
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I grew up in houston, and used to see those personalized grip but plates all the time on local officers.

With the switch to auto loaders, they have faded away. Nice bit of nostalgia, but a bit steep in price...
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    With the switch to auto loaders, they have faded away. Nice bit of nostalgia, but a bit steep in price...
    Our sheriff's dept used to glue a little badge on the magazine floor plate to do sort of the same thing.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    We need the commentary of @Rex G .

Used to see those custom butt plates frequently at the beginning of my career. I suspected it was likely a Houston PD gun because of the plate, so many officers had them. I believe Herman Mueschke made many of them, but I'm not completely sure. He was a local gunsmith that worked on a lot of Houston area LE revolvers and semi-autos from in the 70's and 80's. That's before my time, @Rex G might be able to clarify. I believe there was a local jeweler that was very LE friendly that made them as well. My first FTO carried a 6 inch 45 Colt with one of those plates. Those pics bring back a lot of memories because you don't see them anymore. My old partner still carries a Colt 1911 was that plated by Mueschke. It was nickel plated with custom 3 dot sights that had diamonds embedded as the dots.

I have no idea what going on with the grips. It looks like they don't fit the gun.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...eschke-6600010
    Last edited by andre3k; 02-22-2021 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I saw that the other day, really cool looking package. Is that holster cut to get your finger on the trigger in the holster?
    No. There wasn’t the same amount of pressure to keep the trigger of a double action revolver covered today due the the longer and heavier pull.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

This officer started as a Houston Park Police officer, answering to the head of the Parks Department, not the Police Department, and that may have been the issued Park Police holster, in the mid-Seventies. In 1985, when he became a Houston Police Department officer, he would have had to attend the HPD academy, and essentially start over, in the seniority ladder, but it would have been worth the trouble, due to the pay raise, and a better career ladder. At least one of my academy class mates, 1983-1984, was a transfer from Park Police. (The Park Police were later absorbed directly, as a whole. into HPD, some time in the Nineties.)

The revolver would have been personally owned by the officer, as the Houston Police Department did not issue duty handguns, then, or now. In 1985, when Officer Payton switched to HPD, he would have been issued a swiveling, low-ride flap holster. I cannot say whether the Houston Park Police ever issued duty firearms, and, if so, whether an Parks officer would have been given the option to retain it, upon leaving.

FWIW, I have found no bio information for this Officer Payton on the Houston Police Officers Pension System web site. The present HPOPS website was not yet created when he left HPD. A badge number is not a search term that I can use. The auction describes less than 20 years of service, so he may not have retired. It is also possible that the search function was not fully functioning, this morning.

Non-original grips are not surprising to find. Duty handguns’ grips take a beating, especially the lower edge of the outer grip panel.

Nelson Sylvia, a Houston silversmith, made butt plates for S&W target grips, for a number of officers and deputies in the Houston area, but he/they may not have been the only such maker. I never liked S&W target grips, so was never a customer for the butt plate. I do wish I had gotten Nelson Sylvia to make me one of his badges, using a Mexican Cinco Peso silver coin, in the manner of the traditional Texas Ranger badges, but never got around to it, before he retired/passed.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Back in the day, trigger guards were not normally completely covered, if at all. Interestingly, there appears to be some type of retention device, that extends into the trigger guard, and, perhaps, the user is supposed to press on it, through the trigger guard, with the index finger? Maybe it is just a passive restraint, overcome by a firm upward drawing motion.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List