Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASP/Stickfighting trainers in the DFW area?

ASP/Stickfighting trainers in the DFW area?

After reading @43Under's review of the Kembativz “ASP/Stickfighting Clinic”, my curiosity is piqued. I work in a weapons restricted environment but there's plenty of 6"-18" items in our shop that would make dandy field expedient "sticks" (box wrenches, Crescent wrenches, steel pipe, etc) that could be put to use in the same manner.

Is there a comparable class or instructor in the DFW area? Or a traveling instructor that might be headed this way? I see by the Kembativz website he's really not traveling and I don't have the contacts to get one of his classes hosted.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    After reading @43Under's review of the Kembativz “ASP/Stickfighting Clinic”, my curiosity is piqued. I work in a weapons restricted environment but there's plenty of 6"-18" items in our shop that would make dandy field expedient "sticks" (box wrenches, Crescent wrenches, steel pipe, etc) that could be put to use in the same manner.

Is there a comparable class or instructor in the DFW area? Or a traveling instructor that might be headed this way? I see by the Kembativz website he's really not traveling and I don't have the contacts to get one of his classes hosted.

Hey AWP,

This is going to be a little vague for a number of reasons, but...

One person who immediately comes to mind is Richard Nance, who I do believe is a Kembativz "certified", or whatever the term is, instructor. Not sure if he does stick work or not, and much of what he teaches does seem to be "his own" stuff. However, he has a Kembativz tattoo, so that should tell you something. One thing I know that he DOES do is travel around to teach.

Unfortunately, his website (wartac.com) seems to be going through some sort of renovations, so I'm not sure how to contact him, find out his schedule, etc. Perhaps COVID has him slowing down right now, who knows? But he is well-regarded when it comes to combatives in the weapons-based environment and I know he has strong connections with Kelly. I have 3 of his videos (2 Panteao, and one via Paladin Press), and they are useful (not stick oriented, however).

That gives me a starting point, thanks!

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter

ASP/Stickfighting trainers in the DFW area?

Palisade Training Group offers a Contact Distance Defensive Skill Class that teaches the use of saps and blackjacks among other close range defensive skills. All three co-owners have attend the Point Driven Training Sap/Jack’s Instructor Coursework taught by ShivWorks Larry Lindenman.

The CDDS is 4 hour block of coursework taught at Lucky Jiu Jitsu in Southlake.

More info can be found at the PTG Website:
    Www.PTGTrainingllc.com

If you have anymore questions DM and I’ll be more than happy to answer them.

Full Disclosure: as of Jan 1, 2021 I am a co-owner of PTG and teach the majority of the Combatives coursework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @Jackdog, I'll check it out!

I work in a weapons restricted environment but there's plenty of 6"-18" items in our shop that would make dandy field expedient "sticks" (box wrenches, Crescent wrenches, steel pipe, etc) that could be put to use in the same manner.!
    Pay attention to Jackdog, above.

That said, if you work in a place with wrenches, this clip is for you:

(Apologies for the jejune video grabassery in a serious thread, but this was too good to pass up...)
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    (Apologies for the jejune video grabassery in a serious thread, but this was too good to pass up...)
    No need to ever apologize for grabassery in one of my threads! I've visited it on so many others I'm due!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Pay attention to Jackdog, above.

That said, if you work in a place with wrenches, this clip is for you:

Thanks!

That was awesome! I really enjoyed Jeff Speakman’s movies in the ‘90s.

Some of my...gentle persuaders

Name:  4D5A17B5-8CB8-4363-BA9F-DA687508EB9B.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  79.4 KB
    Name:  925A210C-AAD0-4926-8E90-DA900421435A.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  68.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Some of my...gentle persuaders

Name:  4D5A17B5-8CB8-4363-BA9F-DA687508EB9B.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  79.4 KB
    Name:  925A210C-AAD0-4926-8E90-DA900421435A.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  68.4 KB
    Yeah, I can teach you how to use the wrenches like a sap. The others tools will work the in the same movement patterns. If you can’t attend one of the CDDS I do private lessons also. DM
    Me for more info.

User Tag List