Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long shot, but P-F often delivers: “Civilian” hex screw sizing?

Site Supporter
    The star drive heads for the clips on both of my carry folders just happened to be the exact same size as the security screws on my Ring Doorbell. Thankfully, I kept the installation tools in the little roll that Ring provides.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Mr. Martin Discusses the Merits of the Spyderco Civilian Hooked Blade Knife
    When I told them it was originally designed for law-enforcement use, one instructor quipped that the only was a police department would let him carry that knife was if “Dirty Harry was made Chief of Police, and Hannibal Lecter elected Mayor!”
    So I have seen these blades in the past, but didn't know all this. But Ohio knife laws have always been goofy, but they recently changed them to make them better and goofier. Now there is no issue with any blade being concealed (I think including a fixed blade?), unless you use it as a weapon (even defensively?...) then it somehow retroactively becomes illegal to have been carrying it concealed, got it? So it would probably be tough to say one of these was not a weapon, so it is probably a good thing I didn't read this thread last night...

Site Supporter
    Some pruning knives, electrician’s knives, and other utility knives have a hook or hawkbill style blade. If one plans on carrying such a knife, learning its utilitarian purposes could potentially prove helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Some pruning knives, electrician’s knives, and other utility knives have a hook or hawkbill style blade. If one plans on carrying such a knife, learning its utilitarian purposes could potentially prove helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    One of the most dedicated users of the Civilian over on Spyderco forums uses his for mushroom harvesting. Apparently the wafer thin curved tip makes for an ideal tool for the job.

Might be a implausible claim to make in the middle of a city though.

Site Supporter
    I was successfully ignoring the two at a local pawn shop, one NIB without the Boye detent, and one new looking, no box/papers with the Boye detent. $120 and $80 respectively.

I don't know how much longer I can comtinue to ignore...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Tip up clippage has been achieved. Now I get to add a 5x5 “wave” pickpocket attachment for some truly 1990-era box of evil goodness..
    Aaaaaand, the project is now complete! I have tuned my Civvy for “peak” defensive performance.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Since the thread is wandering anyway...

Some tool advice, if I may...

When you find yourself “needing” a tool like this that can be had in a set, buy the most comprehensive and highest quality set you can find/afford. If the choice is between a single, top shelf, size and a middle-shelf comprehensive set, get the set. If you really needed that top shelf version of the single tool you’d already own the top-shelf set.

Drivers and drill bits spring to mind as prime examples of this.

When it comes to drivers, I’d look for sets with one handle and multiple bits for the majority of buyers. Primarily due to space-saving concerns. Again, if you needed a full set with dedicated handles you’d either already have it or you’d know it.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Aaaaaand, the project is now complete! I have tuned my Civvy for “peak” defensive performance.

You're supposed to use the handguard sticks with your Sharpmaker... :-P

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I was successfully ignoring the two at a local pawn shop, one NIB without the Boye detent, and one new looking, no box/papers with the Boye detent. $120 and $80 respectively.

I don't know how much longer I can comtinue to ignore...

pat
    I suggest not ignoring those prices.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I suggest not ignoring those prices.

Concur. Be like BillSWPA.

Buy both, and flip the boye dent one to me.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List