Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Long shot, but P-F often delivers: “Civilian” hex screw sizing?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I gave my dad one of those, and he loves it. My wife has a lil’ matriarch (even smaller, based on the delica handle size) as well.

Since this thread is sort of about nothing, and we’ve moved on to the Civilian variants, here’s a good overview of the concept, origin, and line extension by Mike Janich—who would be in a position to report:

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/displ...darticles=3091

Is that a Seecamp or NAA & how do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Aaaaaand, the project is now complete! I have tuned my Civvy for “peak” defensive performance.

Since I know you know:

How's it work with reverse edge - monkey with a screwdriver type stuff? I always wondered if point driven work just wouldn't be a go for the S-shape monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Since I know you know:

How's it work with reverse edge - monkey with a screwdriver type stuff? I always wondered if point driven work just wouldn't be a go for the S-shape monsters.

Short answer: it’s not the right tool for edge in and point driven methodology.

Longer answer: the ergos for reverse are #1 weird, with the sculpted handle, #2 bring the point dangerously close to violating a knifey “rule 2”, and #3, while the point will pierce like a needle, it’s at an oblique angle—sort of like a tomahawk spike…
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Is that a Seecamp or NAA & how do you like it?
    Not my pic, but…

It’s a Seecamp, and I did indeed have one at one point. Carried great, obviously enough, and mine was stone reliable—so long as one understood that the last round stovepipe was a designed-in feature, and not a bug. I couldn’t quite get over the lack of sights and that, along with skyrocketing prices, convinced me to flip it for some other gun that is also long gone now.

I sort of wish I still had it. There’s nothing quite like them in all of pocket pistoldom; they are like little Swiss watches in fit and build quality. Here’s mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

A Seecamp LWS-32, plus a Spyderco Civilian; two parts of a nicely ultra-compact “tool set.” I reckon that a Clinch Pick, or similar point-driven edge-in blade, helps complete the set.

I empathize, regarding “flipping” an LWS-32, and then later wishing I had it back, because that is what I did, with my first one. After the prices finally fell to reasonable levels, I replaced it, with a new one, and then added a new one for Her, because I was, by then, married to a “gun gal.” I have gradually added more LWS-32 pistols, found pre-owned at an LGS.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

@Totem Polar

Your thread inspired me to order a Matriarch.

I like the design mechanics and the intent to be used by someone without much knife training (me!).

I would like to test it without compromising it too much so I might order a second one for testing and training.

I have ballistic gel and could make an “arm” with a PVC bone…

My thought is that after I get a sense for what it can do, I can grind off some of the sharp bits and use it as a trainer (not with anyone else, just for draws and practice.

EDIT: I ordered two more. One for my wife and one to deconstruct as a trainer.

Can the blades be removed? I bought a Delrin sheet that I might make into a practice blade only for manipulation.
    Last edited by JCN; 12-13-2021 at 08:05 AM.

@JCN I have a matriarch as well. When I get a chance later today, I’ll take a look. I’m pretty sure it can be taken completely apart with just a set of torx bits.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Since I know you know:

I doubt that the compound curves of the Civilian are going to work well with point-driven work. A properly-designed, properly-fitting karambit, is very much a thrusting tool, as the point is in alignment with the user’s forearm bones, when the user’s wrist is straight, but the Civilian is nothing anywhere close to being a karambit.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I'm sure you all know but just in case: a P'kal held in forward grip with the edge out can do most of what a Civilian/matriarch can.

Not as cool looking, but it can also do everything else we like the P'kal for, including opening packages which is what mine has been doing a lot of this season.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-męme, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List