Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Self-Defense Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Do you happen to recall the load used at the time?

Seem to hear similar results anecdotally about the 125gr SJHP.
    Federal Hi-Shok Jacketed Hollow Cavity, 125-grain. This was not a controlled-expansion load, so, expansion was violent, with considerable fragmentation, which worked very well with a frontal shot, into a skinny opponent.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but the price isn't too steep:

Attachment 67910
    Good price in today’s market and just an hour and a half from my house...if it had a bobbed hammer and Magnas I would be driving to Stuarts Draft today.
    Hope somebody here snags it.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 02-22-2021 at 06:06 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Do you remove the cylinder?
    I removed the cylinder from the 442 pictured earlier for the first time since bought new in ‘13 yesterday when I noticed that it was sluggish when hand spun.
    About 800 rounds worth of crud from mostly lead bullet reloads is now gone.
    I have had to do this periodically with all my Smith Js and Ks that I shoot semi-regularly.
    Plated bullets are now being used for practice so hopefully this won’t have to be done as often.

Site Supporter

My Version of the Modern Self Defense Revolver

My 66-4. All work was completed by me. There's a certain satisfaction in doing it yourself. Although there were a couple moments of "Did I bite off more than I can Chew"
    Name:  Completed 66-1.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  97.8 KBName:  Completed 66-2.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  26.6 KBName:  Completed 66-3.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  84.0 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    My 66-4. All work was completed by me. There's a certain satisfaction in doing it yourself. Although there were a couple moments of "Did I bite off more than I can Chew"
    That’s a solid looking piece. If I needed to set up a defensive revolver it would probably be very similar to what you put together. I wish S&W would just release a 3” K-Frame with great sights so people wouldn’t have to go out of their way to assemble and customize things.

ETA: The currently available 66 is close but not perfect. It has a 2.75” barrel instead of a 3” and the front sight is pinned on so I don’t know if there’s enough metal at its base to allow for cutting a dovetail. I figure there should be some decent front sights available which mount with the roll pin though. Plus it’s got the ILS so you’d have to deal with that too.

On the topic of the lead fouling ring in the cylinder, back in the day it was an Allison Speed Brush with nylon .44 cal brushes every couple of hundred rounds. Never an issue.

Good piece from DB, hitting the points he has mentioned over the years. Gratuitous picture: Old School 3" Model 13, new school M19 Carry Comp.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Very Nice!

Exact same build I have been assembling parts for.

Nicely Done.

I'm honestly surprised I haven't posted in this thread, considering I spent almost all of the back half of 2020 building out the "modern fighting revolver." What's interesting to me is that minus the ACRO I'm in love with, the "medium frame 357 Magnum" seems to be the consensus if you're trying to eek the max level of modernity out of a wheelgun as possible. For the three of you that haven't seen it, here's the end result:

Name:  AF326B9F-E3AF-4BD2-8B7C-377B624E3DF3.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  50.9 KB

For more info you can check this link, but it's a S&W 586 L-Comp with a bobbed hammer/DAO conversion, Apex Tactical mount with an Aimpoint ACRO on it.

Someone recently mentioned wishing Ruger would produce a slightly larger framed LCR. That seems like something that would be a solid defensive revolver and got me thinking. Has S&W ever produced an aluminum framed, steel cylinder, K-Frame in .38 +P? Basically a bigger 6 shot 642/442 but with sights that don’t suck? Something like that in DAO with decent sights and a 3” barrel would probably make a great defensive gun in my mind but I don’t have much revolver experience.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It's been mentioned a couple times in this thread. The 315 Night Guard.

Many of us would buy if they were available new at reasonable prices. A bunch came out of the woodwork in the first six months of the dempanic and were going for $1600+, or about $300 more than typical before March of last year.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List