Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Self-Defense Revolvers

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    That 3” NY-1 spec gun is just awesome. If I had to make due with only a single handgun (which would, admittedly, pare down my safe an absurd amount) I could make due with that. I shoot the NY-1 Ks well, I have a bucket of speedloaders, and ammo that ranges from wadcutter and 132 gr ball up to Buffalo Bore 158+P LSWCHP and “outdoorsman.” I wouldn’t even need the .357 chambering, if worse came to worse. That setup, complete with T-grip is ideal. Color me envious. If you ever want to trade 2 guns for one, shoot me a PM. I would make it fiscally worth your while with the 2 guns.
    I’m glad it wasn’t .357.
    I picked it up at the Richmond Raceway gun show for a good price from a dealer a couple of years ago that undervalued it considerably because, I suspect, it wasn’t chambered for Magnums.
    It is, in fact, a NY-1.
    I am perfectly content with the Remington 158 grain LHP +P I load all my J/K frame guns with except for the five-shooter pictured. It gets Ranger Bonded 130 grain +P.
    My 3” K trainer 65-6 and spare 3” 65-3 get through scrubbings of the chambers after practice with .38s. Don’t have to worry as much with the .38 chambered guns.
    I do have a small stash of defense .357 rounds but my recovery time and accuracy aren’t as good as with .38s.

Site Supporter
    Like others here I too have transitioned from a life time (and career) of carrying semi autos to being a "wheelie guy" these days. I was forced to it by arthritis and age. About 10 or 12 years ago I had to give up my beloved 1911s because the arthritis swollen base knuckle of the shooting had thumb was impinged hard by the frame with every shot. I could stand it for a magazine but that ain't much practice. Relieved that by switching to 45 Glocks. Now the arthritis and general loss of strength from aging makes it very difficult for me to perform the manual of arms with most any semi auto. Old and decrepit as I am I can still do all that and more with a DA revolver...and for fun with SA revolvers too!

Dave

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    About 10 or 12 years ago I had to give up my beloved 1911s because the arthritis swollen base knuckle of the shooting had thumb was impinged hard by the frame with every shot. I could stand it for a magazine but that ain't much practice.
    I enjoy 9mm 1911s in my decrepitude; the .45s... not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    (Shotguns remain important/relevant.)
    Before it is all over, I'm likely to end up getting the heaviest, most ponderous 12 gauge double I can find... and it'll be stuffed with with the lowest-recoiling loads.

Forward to the past, I guess.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Every time I read a thread like this I go to the Ruger LCR page......and wish.....

Love reading and listening to DB. I started out on a S&W Model 15 revolver in the USAF in 1986. Believe it or not the Model 15 was standard USAF issue from 1962 to 92. Loved that thing and had the luxury of being trained the right way. Shot a lot of PPC matches with it on the base pistol team. I never feel out gunned with a good 3 or 4" K or L frame and still carry them frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    It is, in fact, a NY-1.
    I am perfectly content with the Remington 158 grain LHP +P...
    There was a time, when I was younger, when the only gun I had was a 4” NY-1 overrun from the NYPD. I paid $279 for it, plus tax. Still have the receipt.

I shot top score in LFI-1 under Mas Ayoob (using Speer’s “lawman” 158+P FMJ training equivalent), and competed in local bowling pin and Paladin matches (using Cor-Bon’s version of the FBI/RCMP load, a 158 LSWCHP driven to 1000fps from 4”) set up by Rob Leahy—the guy who would later go on to become “simply rugged holsters,” first in Alaska, and now in Arizona.

I’ve lived the “only one gun, beware of this kid...” lifestyle with an NY-1, and I know that not only can it be done, but it can be done well.

That 3” is my personal grail gun. If I find one in mint condition somewhere, I will move whatever it takes to put it into service.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

The revolver at the top of the story used to be mine. Glad it went to a good home.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Even as a 36 year old former infantryman who lived "fire superiority" as a SAWgunner I am perfectly content with a 6 shot k frame.

3-4" gun with a good bullet and some extra ammo and Im happy.

Even if you factor in some of the bigger mass shootings Id still be ok. E.G. San Bernardino.

I know I can get my hits, im confident in my physical ability to maneuver to cover or out of immediate fire, and im confident in my ability to think under stress. The gun is the least important thing.

I do appreciate the power as well. Not because I think it will be a 1 shot stop but because cars are everywhere. I drive to work, walk through parking lots, etc. I dont fantasize about shooting a bankrobber in a getaway car but do think what Id do in a carjacking scenario, or walking into a store. Steel/glass barriers are everywhere. I want something that will still do the job to defend my family.

At the end of the day I dont need validation from others. I dont really care.

I'm not even going for modern. As is so often the case, the old hands had it figured out and the whippersnappers left something beautiful to rot. A 2" model 10 is about the size of a GLOCK 27 but carries more easily and prints less. It has a better trigger, as good or better stock sights once painted, is less reckless to tuck in some creative places, amazingly well dehorned once the hammer has been bobbed, and has less need of a holster. Set of Barami Hip-Grips, adapter, ammo that hits to point of aim, and call it good.

The way most people treat their carry gun, the snub nosed K was definitely one of the most well specced handguns ever made. Shame sales slouched to the point the shorties were discontinued. The package made sense then and just as much now. Finding something that simple, straightforward, and earnest in design has always been rare.

Taking a longer view, my kids and grandkids can inherit something that is still the height of a model line for the particular usage. Every spot of bare steel, scratch, dent, rust pit, and file mark outlining a point in their own family history.

Or the undeniable utility of my model 67. We've got a shortage on. I can dial those sights for anything from Lee's 105 leadsaver semi-wadcutters to repurposed ninety-odd grain .380 bullets, factory second 130 grain HST projectiles, or the usual 158 grain pills. Whatever powder fits in the case right on down to holy black if push comes to shove. And none of it on a lark, Fitzgerald wrote about his black powder 'round town and hunting loads. The book is on a shelf as it nears a century of near uninterrupted publication. I can load it hot enough to drop deer, soft enough to bark squirrels and dome partridge, or anything in between.

No sourcing, paying for, running enough ammo to vet, marking, storing, and tracking magazines. No three digit range trip to check function every time I change a carry load. No marking and tracking individual rounds to avoid bullet setback or slamming primers inert with multiple chamberings. Just grab my gun and go. I can see that it's loaded, the 2x2x2 is already on my belt, drop a speedloader in my pocket if I'm feeling froggy. There is a lot to be said about a gun so easy to live with.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Even as a 36 year old former infantryman who lived "fire superiority" as a SAWgunner I am perfectly content with a 6 shot k frame.

3-4" gun with a good bullet and some extra ammo and Im happy.
    I am one of those guys who was WAY too slow in picking up on the practical assets and overall utility value of the 3" revolver. My "reacquaintance" revolver is a 4" GP100 because it was in the right place at the right time and 4" was my comfort zone for years, but I think I just might have preferred the same thing in a 3" version. That is, if they'd ever catalog it.

(Old guy segue/rant/rhetorical question: Why does Ruger still handicap their off-the-rack 3" stainless 6-shot GP100 with a hog trough fixed rear sight? They obviously know how to fit eminently usable Novak-style rears to a GP100.)
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List