Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Self-Defense Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Thanks to @Hideeho for the build.

Attachment 109745

7 shot 9mm steel moon clipped gun. Should make velocities like a P365XL I would imagine.

Will test 25 yard accuracy with standard 9mm ammo as there was a question of whether it was a 357 barrel made “good enough” or if it is a true 9mm. I think my 929s are pretty accurate but honestly I haven’t tested so it’s a good opportunity to do some testing.

I can slap an allchin optic mount on it too.
    Really cool gun. Please let us know how 25 yard groups look!

Personally I have no issues shooting 90+ with an optic on any semi auto we have (g19 and p365 series primarily)

I have a hard time hitting 90 (generally mid to.low 80l with my lcr9 but it may be because I am mediocre irons shooter now. My lcr9 is significant more accurate (group wise) at 25 yards with 124 grain hydrashok vs 124 grain hst or 124 grain gold dot. Out of a semi I shoot 124 grain hst and gold dot better.

My lcr9 shoots 147 grain high and with significantly.worse groups at 25

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Really cool gun. Please let us know how 25 yard groups look!

Personally I have no issues shooting 90+ with an optic on any semi auto we have (g19 and p365 series primarily)

I have a hard time hitting 90 (generally mid to.low 80l with my lcr9 but it may be because I am mediocre irons shooter now. My lcr9 is significant more accurate (group wise) at 25 yards with 124 grain hydrashok vs 124 grain hst or 124 grain gold dot. Out of a semi I shoot 124 grain hst and gold dot better.

My lcr9 shoots 147 grain high and with significantly.worse groups at 25
    My general philosophy is group size rather than B8 score because precision versus accuracy. Sight zero I can deal with later but I won’t bother if it won’t group.

Similarly, I’m looking for mechanical group size first because trigger weight and pull come into execution of score later.

I generally like a bench rest 2” group at 25 but will accept up to a 4” group if it’s a special use item.

Them's some wild grips! I dig the whole package, looking forward to range report.

HST+P 147gr

Velocities are okay. Pretty mild recoil with the grip and the weight of the gun.

Name:  IMG_4351.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  35.1 KB

I think it’s a little slower than what @03RN was pushing in his Revo.

Sights left

Initial group with 150 Syntech is around 3 inches. I can do better trigger wise so that was reasonable.

Impact is left. The sights are off right by a whiff.

Name:  IMG_4352.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  30.9 KB

You can see it if you look carefully:

Name:  IMG_4353.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  25.8 KB

@G19Fan so that’s my process. I can tell the difference between the accuracy versus precision and can judge my vision / trigger mechanics of how it contributes.

@HCM was wondering about the accuracy and I think it’s probably a 2-2.5” mechanical group at 25 if I do my part.

I chose Syntech because I’ve heard the polymer jacket can conform nicely to lands and grooves even if bore oversized.
    Last edited by JCN; 09-23-2023 at 12:36 PM.

Velocities are okay. Pretty mild recoil with the grip and the weight of the gun.

Name:  IMG_4351.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  35.1 KB

I think it’s a little slower than what @03RN was pushing in his Revo.
    Cool.

My .38 HST loads are about 930fps from a 3" gun and my .357 loads are 1180fps from a 2.75" gun.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

@G19Fan so that’s my process. I can tell the difference between the accuracy versus precision and can judge my vision / trigger mechanics of how it contributes.

@HCM was wondering about the accuracy and I think it’s probably a 2-2.5” mechanical group at 25 if I do my part.

I chose Syntech because I’ve heard the polymer jacket can conform nicely to lands and grooves even if bore oversized.
    Okay, using the brass punch I carry with me I drifted it and concentrated harder on my trigger pull. POI is a few inches low at 25 yards with the Syntech so I held at top of the 6” circle.

Name:  IMG_4354.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  39.7 KB

Credit card is ~2.1” short side so looks like a ~2” group possible.

Name:  IMG_4355.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  35.7 KB

I’ll probably try and ooze some Rocksett under the front sight to fix it better.

Site Supporter
    Initial group with 150 Syntech is around 3 inches. I can do better trigger wise so that was reasonable.

Impact is left. The sights are off right by a whiff.

Name:  IMG_4352.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  30.9 KB

You can see it if you look carefully:

Name:  IMG_4353.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  25.8 KB

The reason I don’t own a 986 is the accuracy issues associated with the oversized bore because Smith uses .357 barrels on these.

If I have to load special 9 mm ammo with oversize bullets to get good accuracy, it defeats the purpose of having a 9 mm revolver for me.

A comparable 38/357 with good ammo should be capable of sub 2” in the right hands.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The reason I don’t own a 986 is the accuracy issues associated with the oversized bore because Smith uses .357 barrels on these.

If I have to load special 9 mm ammo with oversize bullets to get good accuracy, it defeats the purpose of having a 9 mm revolver for me.

A comparable 38/357 with good ammo should be capable of sub 2” in the right hands.
    I know, lol. That’s why I tagged you. The Syntech isn’t anything special. It’s my normal gamer ammo.

Comparing the Syntech in this gun versus the Syntech in semi-auto competition guns, it’s really not bad.

I think I could shrink the group further with a red dot.

The point is that the accuracy is pretty reasonable and I don’t think anything that will practically limit the ability of the vast majority of shooters in the overwhelming majority of use case situations.

The reasons TO own a 9mm revolver IMO outweigh the accuracy difference.

9mm revolvers are more shootable at the same velocities than their 38sp/357 counterparts in <2.5” barrel revolvers.

SELF DEFENSE ammunition in 9mm is better vetted than the 38/357 out of a snub ammo (which sometimes doesn’t make expansion velocities) and you waste a lot of cylinder and barrel length for the 38/357 brass length.

Add to that the easier ejection and shorter cases so less getting stuck, plus easier reloads…

IMO a 9mm snub revolver benefits vastly outweigh the negatives. Even at my trigger press level.

When I tried harder, it was a ~2” group but I think I could do better with a different contrast target and different sights.

Views: 235

Site Supporter
    I know, lol. That’s why I tagged you. The Syntech isn’t anything special. It’s my normal gamer ammo.

Comparing the Syntech in this gun versus the Syntech in semi-auto competition guns, it’s really not bad.

I think I could shrink the group further with a red dot.

The point is that the accuracy is pretty reasonable and I don’t think anything that will practically limit the ability of the vast majority of shooters in the overwhelming majority of use case situations.

The reasons TO own a 9mm revolver IMO outweigh the accuracy difference.

9mm revolvers are more shootable at the same velocities than their 38sp/357 counterparts in <2.5” barrel revolvers.

SELF DEFENSE ammunition in 9mm is better vetted than the 38/357 out of a snub ammo (which sometimes doesn’t make expansion velocities) and you waste a lot of cylinder and barrel length for the 38/357 brass length.

Add to that the easier ejection and shorter cases so less getting stuck, plus easier reloads…

IMO a 9mm snub revolver benefits vastly outweigh the negatives. Even at my trigger press level.

When I tried harder, it was a ~2” group but I think I could do better with a different contrast target and different sights.

Views: 235
    The only practical use I have a revolver is J frame pocket snubs.

I have other revolvers for nostalgia and range toys but I have no practical reason for revolvers larger than J frame/LCR etc. They are obsolescent at best.

I already have plenty of 38, 357 revolver’s and ammo, plus moon clips suck ass.

The only modern justification for medium size revolvers is is perhaps to minimize administrative handling issues among people who may have or need a gun, but don’t want to put any effort into learning how to use it. In other words, people who want a gun, but will treat it like the fire extinguisher in their kitchen.

However, screwing around with moonclips in a 9mm revolver negates this use case.

User Tag List