Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Security Six "Pinto" Project

Ruger Security Six "Pinto" Project

I know it is not everyone's taste, but I have always loved S&W pinto revolvers but I have never had the extra cash when the chance to purchase one popped up. I don't want to send in a S&W because I don't want to make a fake. I picked up a stainless cylinder, barrel and cylinder latch that I am going to have switched out on my old Ruger Security Six. I had originally planned to do this on my GP100, but I did the cardinal sin on project guns and shot it. It shot fantastically, so the GP100 isn't getting the modificaiton.

Name:  IMG_1637.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  96.0 KB

I am going to have a ball detent added as well and get the charging holes chamfered. Any other suggestions for modifications while it is out at the gun doctor?

Sights-especially the front sight. My recommendation is to try to locate a Millett Orange Bar.

You also might want to polish the serrations on the trigger face, and round off the sides of the trigger.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Sights-especially the front sight. My recommendation is to try to locate a Millett Orange Bar.

You also might want to polish the serrations on the trigger face, and round off the sides of the trigger.

Best, Jon
    Not having any luck searching for the Millett sight, but I do have a smooth trigger in my box of parts.

Name:  IMG_1836.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  41.2 KB

I have been picking parts for the -Six series for a while while trying to figure out what I want to do with this Pinto Project.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Man, I wish there was a supply of those sights somewhere. I've been looking for a very long time with no luck.

Although it's not really necessary, you might consider getting a .38 Special cylinder/.38 Special cylinder/crane assembly when firing .38 Special cartridges; you might want to concurrently mark the front sight for proper alignment with .38 (in a given grain weight) vs .357 (in a given grain weight). Ruger OEM revolver sights for guns this vintage are generally regulated for a 6 o'clock POA for a center POI with 158 gr bullets.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Man, I wish there was a supply of those sights somewhere. I've been looking for a very long time with no luck.
    It's a great front sight; I'm lucky to have them on both my GP100 and Security Six.

An effective ad hoc solution is to paint the OEM sight face first with a base coat of white, then with an upper coat of florescent or neon orange, and then top it off with a coating of Dullcoat to prevent reflection/light scatter.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Your Six looks a little familiar. I have a 2.75 bbl. and other SS parts too but never got around to adding them yet.

Good luck with your project!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  IMG_1890.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  90.8 KB

Just got this back today. So far I am pretty happy with it. I will shoot it on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post

Just got this back today. So far I am pretty happy with it. I will shoot it on Friday.
    I…think I like it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post

Flamingo:

I have always been a fan of S&W "pintos". That said, I prefer Ruger's for my hard use wheelguns. Your Security Six "pinto" is gorgeous. I am trying to figure out how I could do the same thing with a Match Champion.....

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

User Tag List