Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Self-Defense Revolvers

I’ll admit to idly considering moving back to revolvers for everyday carry more than I already do. I’m in a different environment now.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    To that subject, his comments about cars and the often necessary free-floating aspect of shooting while inside one really resonates with me.

I’ve said it here before: the two times that an otherwise rock-solid Gen3 G17 shit the bed on me in training was punching steel through fresh windshield glass from inside a training vehicle and being upside down, bridged over with a steady stream of rainwater going up my nose and inside my ESS glasses. That gun never malfed in any other conditions, but when grip and stance gets compromised, even a vetted G17 can reach limits of tolerance that a similarly vetted service revolver would shrug off for the first 6 rounds.
    Said it before.....seems to be a fair amount of malfunctions with Glocks in LEO UOF thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    To that subject, his comments about cars and the often necessary free-floating aspect of shooting while inside one really resonates with me.

Yup. A J-frame probably isn't the best tool for shooting from inside a car, to outside ( through glass/steel)... but entangled inside one, it really does make a lot of sense. I often have one stuck in a pocket holster jammed in the seat cushions, when out and about, even when I also have my normal Glock on my person.

Good article.

Thanks for the link, Stephanie! I’ve been carrying my two week old S&W 686+ 2.5” every day. I’m using a Galco Combat Master holster, and I can’t feel it like I do with my 4” version.

Re: Malfs During Defensive Incidents, & Revolvers As EDC.

Had I kept my revolvers “grandfathered,” as duty handguns, in 1997, I might have extended my LE career, rather than retiring in January 2018. Numb-thumbing/limp-wrist-ing auto-pistols was already happening, to me, with my right hand not always doing what my brain was telling it to do, as the weapon hand, to properly support the weapon, or as the support hand, to run the slide. My G19 and G17 Glocks never malfunctioned, at all, but I was increasingly concerned about the potential.

One of my academy classmates is STILL using his grandfathered L-Frame revolvers as duty handguns. He trains more often that I ever did. Danny, you are my hero; be careful out there!

I fired ONE defensive shot, in 33+ years of LEO-ing, in 1993, with a GP100. (Instantly disabling hit, with a fatal result; no second shot needed.) I made the final transition to duty autos in 1997, but never had to fire again, for a defensive purpose.

My Glocks have been set aside, anyway, by now, for a while, due to being unable to maintain what I consider a reasonable level of skill, with the pandemic limiting range visits. I am, effectively, revolver-only, by this point, for all defensive handgunning. (Shotguns remain important/relevant.) When I can resume a suitable level of training, the Glocks may be relegated to at-home defense.

I do still keep two 1911 pistols, loaded, for home defense. My skill with them is more-established, having gotten a 20-year head start; 1982/1983 for the 1911, versus 2002 for Glocks.) When I go outside, however, it is revolvers that come with me. Long-stroke DA is my best, most stress-proof, least-perishable triggering skill. And, I do not use handguns to go look for trouble. I just use revolvers for getting out of trouble. See the Primary & Secondary you-tube video, or podcast, on the snubby revolver, in which DB explains the difference between getting into trouble, versus getting out of trouble. (Actually, back in the day, I would carry revolvers for intentionally going to look for trouble, in the LE context, and revolvers are as effective, today, as they ever were.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-20-2021 at 03:35 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Name:  63A870B5-092D-4887-983F-F35B9CEB4696.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  35.1 KB
    Our new Sheriff has allowed me to qualify with this pair for off duty use, ending a nearly three decade ban on off duty revolvers imposed by two predecessors.
    These will be my LEOSA carry pair whenever travel is a thing again post-COVID.
    The J stays in my pocket when off duty to back the issued G23. Not on duty yet, unfortunately.
    That will be a project for another time.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Our new Sheriff has allowed me to qualify with this pair for off duty use, ending a nearly three decade ban on off duty revolvers imposed by two predecessors.
    These will be my LEOSA carry pair whenever travel is a thing again post-COVID.
    The J stays in my pocket when off duty to back the issued G23. Not on duty yet, unfortunately.
    That will be a project for another time.
    Hallelujah!
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ll admit to idly considering moving back to revolvers for everyday carry more than I already do. I’m in a different environment now.
    More than idly considering it here, I've been vetting a few possible choices at the range the past few weeks. In my case the rationale, in addition to all the usual things listed by Darryl and others, is that a revolver is more flexible as a trail gun which is an important role for me. Quick and easy to change from 38 +p or wadcutters in town to 357 magnum non-lead hunting rounds or solids in the backcountry, and better choices for the latter (140 gr VOR-TX, or handloaded 165 gr Cutting Edge solids with no worries about whether they'll feed) than most semi-auto calibers. My carry rotation will likely be 2/3 revolvers soon.

Darryl and Wayne, you guys helped build the confidence that makes this feasible back at the first revolver roundup. You'll always have my appreciation for that. One of the J-frames I shot at that event has pretty much been in my pocket most waking hours since, and is there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    That 3” NY-1 spec gun is just awesome. If I had to make due with only a single handgun (which would, admittedly, pare down my safe an absurd amount) I could make due with that. I shoot the NY-1 Ks well, I have a bucket of speedloaders, and ammo that ranges from wadcutter and 132 gr ball up to Buffalo Bore 158+P LSWCHP and “outdoorsman.” I wouldn’t even need the .357 chambering, if worse came to worse. That setup, complete with T-grip is ideal. Color me envious. If you ever want to trade 2 guns for one, shoot me a PM. I would make it fiscally worth your while with the 2 guns.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    An interesting thread with interesting replies so far.

An awful lot of what I need a sidearm for can easily be covered by a good revolver. Aside from ease/speed of reloading and on-board ammunition capacity limitations, there isn't much a semiauto can do better for me.

I hate cleaning revolvers, but other than that, my boomer/neanderthal self finds them more "honest" and procedurally easy to use than most semiautos. Everyone in the family has been getting older and training less, and I increasingly choose to take the SP-101 along in lieu of a semiauto. People can make of that what they will.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List