Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Self-Defense Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Damned if that thing doesn’t check all the boxes, save for one...
    My 2 inch stainless 856 has been good so far. Maybe 1800 rounds mostly wadcutters. Sample of one, but I really like it and would take a chance on the light weight 3 inch if i could find one. Only problem is lack of decent d frame appendix kydex holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Man those were really good guns. It's a shame they didn't sell that well, which can sort of be blamed on S&W for introducing them during their "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" phase
    Sell well??? I couldn’t find a dealer who could get one. S&W made a very small number of 315’s and only sold them through extra special select distributors. It was damn frustrating trying to hunt one down and was not successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Speed Loaders from Speed Beez. Factory S&W clips allow too much brass wobble, and I set this gun up to crack all primers, so I don't want to sink the money into TK Custom clips that limit me to one or two brands of brass. Plus my backup gun is a 686+ that isn't cut for clips.

I don't know how I missed that last sentence until today, BUT.....your BACKUP GUN is a 686+? My question is this: just how do I get the drool marks off this keyboard?
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Good Lord. That stock photo purports a gun that looks to have AT LEAST a .010" barrel/cylinder gap. I mean WTH?
    I wouldn't assume they shot those guns in a properly designed and lit seamless box and that what you're looking at is actually the image that came off the camera. And, having cropped the backgrounds out of a photo or two in my time, I wouldn't form any opinions on that based on how the edges of the image got cropped to background.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    “Taurus: It will be different this time.”
    I've received multiple S&Ws that were unserviceable out of the box.

One went back and was returned to me with paperwork saying they'd fixed it, but they really hadn't. Calling CS confirmed my suspicion that they no longer had the necessary parts available to replace what they'd fubared before it left the factory the first time.

One went back and was returned with the problem I sent it for fixed, but new damage due to incredibly incompetent "gunsmithing" that was neither requested nor necessary, which I still haven't gotten around to fixing. So it sits.

One spontaneously failed while sitting on my work bench in a way that would have rendered it inoperative if it had happened while shooting, and had other parts that you wouldn't imagine could be that way. S&W sent me new parts, and I upgraded some stuff. Ended up likely reliable, but due to garbagey machining of the slide, I couldn't get the trigger smooth. It went down the road.

That's in addition to all the brand new guns I've inspected at LGSs that had some obvious defect that should never have left the factory.

And I'm not even a gunsmith with a complete set of good revolver measuring stuff. I'm just a dude who is good at paying attention to mechanical things.

I've also sent multiple guns back to Ruger. My GPMC needed some refitting and the LCP got everything above the slide rails replaced.

I might be willing to take a chance on an 856.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've received multiple S&Ws that were unserviceable out of the box.

One went back and was returned to me with paperwork saying they'd fixed it, but they really hadn't. Calling CS confirmed my suspicion that they no longer had the necessary parts available to replace what they'd fubared before it left the factory the first time.

One went back and was returned with the problem I sent it for fixed, but new damage due to incredibly incompetent "gunsmithing" that was neither requested nor necessary, which I still haven't gotten around to fixing. So it sits.

One spontaneously failed while sitting on my work bench in a way that would have rendered it inoperative if it had happened while shooting, and had other parts that you wouldn't imagine could be that way. S&W sent me new parts, and I upgraded some stuff. Ended up likely reliable, but due to garbagey machining of the slide, I couldn't get the trigger smooth. It went down the road.

That's in addition to all the brand new guns I've inspected at LGSs that had some obvious defect that should never have left the factory.

And I'm not even a gunsmith with a complete set of good revolver measuring stuff. I'm just a dude who is good at paying attention to mechanical things.

I've also sent multiple guns back to Ruger. My GPMC needed some refitting and the LCP got everything above the slide rails replaced.

I might be willing to take a chance on an 856.

What was wrong with your Match Champion?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    My 2 inch stainless 856 has been good so far. Maybe 1800 rounds mostly wadcutters. Sample of one, but I really like it and would take a chance on the light weight 3 inch if i could find one. Only problem is lack of decent d frame appendix kydex holsters.

Do you have a holster for it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Do you have a holster for it?
    This company makes kydex for the Colt d-frames (which fit the taurus) https://justholsterit.com/ serviceable but not optimal. You will need a better clip (something like Discreet Carry Concepts).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    This company makes kydex for the Colt d-frames (which fit the taurus) https://justholsterit.com/ serviceable but not optimal. You will need a better clip (something like Discreet Carry Concepts).

What do you think of this holster? Says it fits the Taurus.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/horn...1165_1355.html

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What do you think of this holster? Says it fits the Taurus.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/horn...1165_1355.html
    It seems to be boned for five-shot cylinders. That'd make it a no-go for the 856 unless they have a separate version specifically for it.

User Tag List