Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Modern Self-Defense Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @john c also if your 18 year old isn’t allowed Airsoft or other scary gun type things on campus…

Something like this can be an option for training.

Attachment 109868

I can give you specs if it’s something you’re interested in.
    Yes, please do. Is that 3d printed, or can I buy one?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Thanks for posting that; I agree that new materials might do wonders for the reliability of moons for EDC. I wish RIMZ did 5-shot .38 special clips for guns like the 640 pro.
    Yes, for whatever reason Rimz only does moon clips for rimless auto pistol cartridges. I think there's too much variation in grooves on rimmed revolver cartridges for these to work without having a bunch of different SKUs like TK custom.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    That said, next month I'm headed to free America to visit my son who's in his first semester of college. The first thing we did was look for a pistol match nearby, and there's a steel challenge match he and I decided to shoot (his and my first one).
    So the good news is that the 617 if it's 22LR doesn't need a holster for Steel Challenge!

Rimfire and long guns start from low ready!
    Our local steel challenge matches offer low ready / no holster starts for any divisions for new shooters. May want to ask.

https://scsa.org/

Steel Challenge has two dedicated revolver divisions for centerfire. Iron revolver and optics revolver (which is easy with an allchin mount on a Smith and Wesson).

Optics (open) revolver also allows compensators and there's no minimum power factor for the sport!

For rimfire, you can run them in the rimfire pistol irons or pistol open but they'll be at a little disadvantage. Still fun, though.
    I have a Vortex Venom RD on my 625. Allchin makes lots of mounts for S&W revolvers. Just check the top strap to see if it's drilled for a mount. Most newer revolvers probably are but IDK for sure.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I’m just wanting to know what LL’s good news is.

That and an a 6 shot SP101 or a 6 shot LCR 3 inch.

I really want a full sized, all steel .22lr DA revolver with an optic as a training gun.

The trick is do I want to hunt up an older 4" blued 6 shot K Frame M17 or M18? Should I look for a slightly newer 617? I'm even pondering going nuts with the $$$ and snagging a Colt King Cobra... but only if I can't grab my first options.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I really want a full sized, all steel .22lr DA revolver with an optic as a training gun.

The trick is do I want to hunt up an older 4" blued 6 shot K Frame M17 or M18? Should I look for a slightly newer 617? I'm even pondering going nuts with the $$$ and snagging a Colt King Cobra... but only if I can't grab my first options.
    One with an optic and one with iron sights would be a perfect training combination.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    One with an optic and one with iron sights would be a perfect training combination.
    Sadly, my eyes don't like irons anymore.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

I have two older, blued Model 17s (one a 17 no dash, and a 17-3) and a modern 617 (can't remember the dash). The modern 617 is the way to go.

1) ten shots versus 6

2) the more charge holes mean less rotation of the cylinder on each pull of the trigger. This speeds up shot times because there's less momentum on the cylinder when it stops.

3) I find my model 17s are more strictly target guns. The tolerances are tighter. This sounds good, but I have to run a bore brush through the charge holes about double as frequent (every four reloads vs every 8 reloads) to clean out the carbon ring in the chambers. Admittedly, I'm using the crappiest ammo I have. The chamber are reamed tighter, and this shows up on the paper, but it's much more maintenance intensive. Coupled with the 4 extra chambers, the 617 will shoot much longer than a 17 before needing attention.

User Tag List