Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Done Think I Bulged My Barrel (Beretta 92 .22LR Conversion)

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    I had so much lead built up in my G44 from firing Remington thunderbolts that it went smoothbore.
    I did the same to my ACE with Thunderbolts in 1994. But they were cheap.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I Done Think I Bulged My Barrel (Beretta 92 .22LR Conversion)

Quote Originally Posted by BILLG View Post
    The ammo company is not at fault for your actions.It is your responsibility to make sure you bbl is free from obstructions before firing.
    It is the ammo companies responsibility for the squib.
    Pay attention to what you are doing.
    Whether it’s a major ammo company, Jim Bob’s gun show specials, or your own reloads. Quality ammo companies stand behind their product. Normally they catch the problems before they leave the factory. But it definitely happens. Probably more now than ever.

The worst 22 ammo I’ve seen with leading issues is Winchester Wild Cat. I’ve seen it lead a barrel in under 200 rounds so bad that you couldn’t get a bore brush through it. I’ve seen hundreds of REM Thunderbolt that were near squibs that I checked to make sure the barrel was clear. Meaning they were basically CB rounds.

Save your containers with lot numbers and the offending casing until you’ve depleted the ammo lot. Otherwise you’ll be on your own for repair or replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    In theory, yes, the shooter should know the barrel is clear. But when shooting fast on the clock, the second round is on the way before the mind notes the report was wrong. Too late to stop the trigger press.
    I have shot many rounds in competition and have watched thousands more fired by other competitors including top shooters in USPSA and IDPA..
    In that time I have also witnessed several squibs and in each case the RO or the shooter stopped shooting before firing another round.
    The ammo company's fault for the squib no doubt.But it is the shooters fault for firing the round behind it.
    Will everybody agree with this probably not in this day and age of blame someome else for your mistakes.
    If your right then if you shoot one round at a bad guy but he does not go down before you fire the second shot a kid gets in the way and you shoot him in the head with your second shot you are ok with that?
    You are responsible for every pull of the trigger and its result.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’m not blaming anyone but myself and made that point clear in the OP. I was shooting old ammo that was mixed and over 30 years old. I did not feel the “squib” and since that ammo had been giving less than normal reliability, so simply performed immediate action and went back to shooting the drill as I have been trained. I will work on my squib detection techniques right away.

I was just looking for confirmation that I bulged my barrel and advice on what to do about it. I appreciate the replies that have helped me out.

As mentioned - the pistol seems to shoot and function fine so I’ll probably just drive on. If I start to see a deterioration in accuracy I’ll pick up a new barrel and suck up the $100.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 02-20-2021 at 07:27 PM.

I think it would be best to take it up with Beretta and the ammo brand soon.
    If it deteriorates or you get dissatisfied with it down the road, "I bulged my barrel in the Blizzard of Nought 21." might not get as good "customer service" as a prompt complaint.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    3) Is it even a big deal or something to worry about? The pistol's accuracy and reliability seem unaffected by the suspected damage and I would figure that by the time the bullet reached the suspect area of the barrel, it has already begun it's spinning and is unlikely to really be affected. Maybe a little more gas might slip around? There is plenty of thick barrel material surrounding the bore since it is the dimensions of a 9mm barrel with a .22LR bore - I seriously doubt the barrel is structurally compromised. Am I missing something?
    Like you, I've been using up older ammo. Russian Klimovsk, Thunderbolts, Golden Bullet, Federal Lightning, and Winchester Wildcat. With that comes squibs, hangfires, and ruptured cases. I'm not shooting fast enough to not recognize a failure of some kind. If something seems off, I'll clear the gun and inspect. I carry a foldable dental mirror, and will shine my light in the chamber, allowing me to check the bore.

As far as point 3, gun work, gun good, it's a sturdy plinker.
    Taking a break from social media.

I just got a .22 barrel with 3 bulges. Same lot of ammo. FYI I have yet to have an ammo company rectify this issue with .22LR ammo. You're likely on your own for the cost of replacement.

Site Supporter
    That looks like a lead ring. If it's bulged, you will be able to feel it with a patch. Rings and even bulges are more common in rimfire barrels than people think. If the barrel shot ok before, it most likely will now. The ring is an area of discoloration.

Site Supporter
    Note-I am not an engineer or a metallurgist.

True of false- would you spend 100.00 to buy 250 rds of brass cased reloadable 9mm ammo right now?

True or false- can we agree that as the barrel is bulged, it is not as strong as it was in its pre bulged state?

Presuming that both answers are true, it is not about having the money and why take a chance?

Odds v. Stakes and how much I like my hands/fingers/eyes/face has me buying a new barrel and driving on.

If somebody who has the training/education/experience could say that the bulge did not weaken the barrel in ANY way, I suppose I would STFU and drive on.
    However, to my simple mind, if the metal moved once, it is more inclined to move again should a similar situation occur i.e. squib/double charge etc.

Let us know what you do and why you do it.

Be safe and well.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I called Beretta Technical/Customer service today to discuss my ringed barrel.

The first question I asked is if it was safe to continue using - the reply was that it is Beretta's policy to never say it was safe to fire a damaged barrel even if it was. Their opinion is the barrel needs to be replaced. I expected that and told them that since I am a proletariat of the Republic of California, I would not be able own the threaded barrel and needed the standard barrel. I was informed that they did not have any and that they were no longer getting them from Umarex. The rep did say it might be worth taking up with the ammunition manufacturer but this is simply impossible as I was using a mixed bag of ammo.

So basically my options are:
    1) Somehow acquire a threaded barrel and then have it de-threaded and re-profiled.
    2) Purchase a new conversion kit and then keep the slide for spare parts or sell it.
    3) Disregard Beretta USA's recommendation and continue to use the barrel. A quick search of opinions on the internet seems to indicate most people consider a .22LR with a bulged barrel safe to shoot.

The barrel is most definitely bulged as a patched cleaning rod will reach a point where there is little resistance and then return to normal resistance. Additionally I took the micrometer to the outside of the barrel and the diameter of the barrel is 7/1000 inch wider at the bulge than at other points along the barrel.

At this point I am most likely going to continue to use the kit. Depending on my trust level and any loss of accuracy I will wait for one of Beretta's big sales and replace the unit.

Thanks for all the advice. I will keep you posted with any developments.

User Tag List