Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbecue Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Not claiming much BBQ gravitas, since NM is not a BBQ location, but we cook a lot of meat with smoke, or in ground ovens, like the original boucans,but one local burger chain and one regonal BBQ chain seem to have stumbled on a magical BBQ Carne Adovada. Pork roast is wet rubbed with red chile sauce and smoked. Until it is pulled pork done. And then draped in more red chile sauce. And wrapped in a tortilla, sprinkled with chopped onions and cheese, and consumed.

pat
    Wow! That made my mouth water just reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Get yourself a smoker.
    Tempting, but there's nothing here worth smoking. Good, BBQ worthy meat is hard to get in the Highlands, as is any kind of wood useful for smoking.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Not claiming much BBQ gravitas, since NM is not a BBQ location, but we cook a lot of meat with smoke, or in ground ovens, like the original boucans,but one local burger chain and one regonal BBQ chain seem to have stumbled on a magical BBQ Carne Adovada. Pork roast is wet rubbed with red chile sauce and smoked. Until it is pulled pork done. And then draped in more red chile sauce. And wrapped in a tortilla, sprinkled with chopped onions and cheese, and consumed.
    YUM.

pat
    I stumbled on carne adovada when visiting NM a few years a go. I have a great dutch oven / crock pot recipe that's pork loin, onions, garlic, and a few spices - mostly Chile powder and Chile flakes. Very good considering how little effort is involved. I'm sure adding smoke flavor to the mix would be amazing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    I stumbled on carne adovada when visiting NM a few years a go. I have a great dutch oven / crock pot recipe that's pork loin, onions, garlic, and a few spices - mostly Chile powder and Chile flakes. Very good considering how little effort is involved. I'm sure adding smoke flavor to the mix would be amazing.
    Post the recipe if you are comfortable sharing your secret [emoji1]

Site Supporter
    Austin / Central Texas is my area so brisket is the main attraction but I think I prefer beef ribs.

Past few years I've made my own brisket so the following is a little dated

Franklin's is really good, but not sure about wait in line 3 hours good. I've only had it at my wife's company parties as a result. Open bar may also have influenced my opinion.... They have several sauces but I don't recall them.

Style switch has good brisket and beef ribs.

The only one of the new places downtown I've been to is Terry Blacks. It was good but pricy and my beef ribs had about 2" of fat cap.

In Lockhart i like Blacks and Kreutzs. Blacks has more character but we've found occasionally the brisket too salty. They have several types of sauce. Kreutzs is huge, feels a little like eating at a Wal-Mart.

The Salt Lick has been hit or miss. Ive had good brisket and jerky labeled brisket. I think they may had grown too fast and couldnt keep up quality. Their claim to fame is the sauce which I think is mustard based. Sauce is fine but only if the brisket is good.

Kreutzes is the bomb.
    Ignore Alien Orders

NC spends all its time in-fighting over Eastern (vinegary) vs Western (ketchupy) BBQ that there's no time to consider what's available in the rest of the country. It's all good! Just don't forget the hush puppies and banana pudding!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Post the recipe if you are comfortable sharing your secret [emoji1]
    Hah, I guess I should clarify I have *found* a good recipe, it is hardly mine!

This is the base recipe https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ecipe2-1939135

I cut way back on Chile flakes and Chile powder as even with the mild from Rancho de Chimayo it was very hot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    NC spends all its time in-fighting over Eastern (vinegary) vs Western (ketchupy) BBQ that there's no time to consider what's available in the rest of the country. It's all good! Just don't forget the hush puppies and banana pudding!
    If the western end would just admit they're wrong, we could move on and start tackling issues like cole slaw on the sammich or on the side and other important aspects of bbq.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    And Tea!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List