Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbecue Thread

Barbecue Thread

Ah, barbecue, that awesome way of slow cooking meat.

And since it's very regional, what's the prevailing way in your region, and where do you like to get it?

In my part of Central Florida, the preferred meat is pork ribs, slow smoked over oak, though brisket & chicken are also available.

The traditional local sauce preference is from King's Taste BBQ, a hot & spicy mustard based sauce that's a bit different from the Carolina mustard sauces I've tried.

And of all the BBQ joints I've frequented regularly in the Lake Co area, the favorite of our lunch bunch is Old Crow in Umatilla. Not only do they do great ribs & brisket, but the trip is worth it for the desserts (red velvet cake, peach cobbler alamode), and we usually pick up a couple of pounds of sliced smoked ham to go, which is also incredible.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I am in eastern North Carolina, therefore our big thing is pulled pork. Don't think there's a specific wood that's used for it. Our barbecue sauce is very vinegar based.

I will certainly eat it without any difficulty. However I really do prefer the barbecue sauce in the western part of the state which is more of a red sauce, with some sweetness.

However, I'm also half of a texting. My father was from there. Therefore we grew up eating brisket several times a year and still have love for that.

We've always had a lot of regular pulled pork barbecue restaurants around. However in the past 10 years we really seen an explosion of other BBQ joints offering brisket, ribs, Etc.

Site Supporter
    I'm in SC. Here its also pulled pork. Ribs and chicken are also popular. Brisket is gaining in popularity. You'll occasionally find smoked turkey and/or sausage on some menus as well.

Sauces depend upon where you are within the state. We have ketchup based, the coast tends to favor mustard based, while the Pee Dee region of the state favors a Vinegar and Red Pepper blend. I like a combination of all three.

A popular side dish here is bbq hash and rice. The hash is a bbq stew traditionally made from head meat and other scraps, stewed down and seasoned similarly to the bbq and served over white rice. More commonly now I've seen it made from hams and shoulders like the pulled pork.

So you start a barbeque thread on a Friday in Lent? F you, man. Just... f you.

I have spent most of my adult life in KC but lived in Texas for three years; I've also traveled extensively and make a point of eating barbeque when available.

The best ribs are in KC. The best brisket -- the only good brisket -- is in Texas. The best pulled pork is actually in DC and Maryland, which I think is weird.

The ONLY burnt ends are in KC.

I host a lot of Norwegian visitors to KC, and have developed 'the Norsk Special' at Jack's Stack: beef burnt ends and lamb ribs. They're both unique, and Norges like them some lamb.

My personal infatuation these days is with beef ribs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I am in eastern North Carolina, therefore our big thing is pulled pork. Don't think there's a specific wood that's used for it. Our barbecue sauce is very vinegar based.
    Scotts FTW.

My family is from Eastern NC and what's left of them live in/around Goldsboro. I guess technically I have half a pig cooker down there. My brother owns the other half. It's at my mom's and neither of us have a place to put it. I should put it to work after we get our vaccinations and can get together in person again.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post

I have spent most of my adult life in KC but lived in Texas for three years; I've also traveled extensively and make a point of eating barbeque when available.

The best ribs are in KC. The best brisket -- the only good brisket -- is in Texas. The best pulled pork is actually in DC and Maryland, which I think is weird.

I host a lot of Norwegian visitors to KC, and have developed 'the Norsk Special' at Jack's Stack: beef burnt ends and lamb ribs. They're both unique, and Norges like them some lamb.

Texas beef ribs, no sauce.

Texas finger ribs, no sauce.

I only like sauce on pulled pork sandwiches and if I’m not doing sandwiches I’m doing pulled pork to be served in a platter. If I do it right it should have all the flavor I need/want from the rub and drippings in the pan when I shred/pull it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter

Jack Stack lamb ribs are insane. Just a different level. KC absolutely.

Traditional St. Louis BBQ is eeehh, the sauce is pretty ketchupy. Lately (past 10 years, probably) there's been some really good places that have cropped up. I haven't noticed a regional specialty, because a lot of the new stuff seems to draw a lot from KC and Memphis and other regions. They just pick a style they like and do it. There seems to be a lot of experimentation going on. In addition to traditional stuff, a lot of times a restaurant will have their own thing they're doing. One joint near me gets cured meats from the Italian-American community in St. Louis and smokes them, and its great. Another smokes both Brussels sprouts and cauliflower (speaking of Lent) and its amazing.

Hawaii. Ours is slow cooked whole pig, wrapped in banana leaves, buried in the ground with hot rocks, and left to cook/steam overnight. We'll throw chicken, fish, potatoes, etc., in the pit too. No sauce

So you start a barbeque thread on a Friday in Lent?
    My thoughts exactly. Now, this is all I can think about.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter

Been to DC and Martland but never had pulled pork there. What do yo uh like about it that makes you say its best?

User Tag List