Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Barbecue Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Rudy's smokes their carne adovada, and Blakes used to, and I think they still do. Both places offer pulled pork type sandwiches, but as a very, very minor menu role. Both places make their own food either in the restaurant (Rudy's) or at a commissary to send to the restaurants (Blake's comissary is off of Candelaria? Commanche? Between Carlisle and the Interstate). It makes sense, if you have a semi popular food item, to try to stretch it in different dishes.

The place with the sauce sixpacks is Whole Hog Cafe. Main place is off of Montgomery/Eubank. Just a couple of of months ago I saw a location off of Central between the Interstate and Edith. Dunno how long it has been there.

And while the carne adovada at Rudy's is pretty good I am usually there for breakfast. The Smoked Brisket, Egg, and Green Chile breakfast taco is my hands down favorite. Blakes and Rudy's carne are both of the shredded type. While great, especially when smoked, I like chunks of red chile braised pork that shred themselves either on my fork or in my mouth. The shredded type tends to get you more meat per burrito/taco. The cubed pork is what my granddad used to make. And is pretty good, if it is not shredding itself, skewered and grilled, the carne kabobs I started making in college.

Too bad the tortillas Rudy's uses, just like the buns from Whattaburger, trigger bronchospasms that almost make me yak by the time I walk from the breakfast table to my car. Always worth it so far. Their potato salad ain't too bad, either.

I have heard all my life about the County Line, and have always been led to believe they were too pricy for me. Friends rave about their beef ribs and smoked duck. Once the dining in this state gets back to normal, I think there will be a date night. I'll even take the wife along!

Interesting side note for the natives: when I was a kid Blakes used to give you ketchup for your fries in the little clear plastic cups. I was so upset, because the little packets were, in my mind, better. I assumed the clear plastic cups were so that they could buy #10 cans of ketchup and portion out small amounts in the cups at a cost savings. I learned from a retired APD SWAT/Canine guy that I had in some classes, that when he worked there in highschool the ketchup was portioned out that way because the comissary made the ketchup in house, and sent it to the individual restaurants. I miss the ketchup from a place that cared enough to make their own. Especially now that the quality of their beef seems to have slipped. But standardization makes for a consistent product. When I was a kid Blakes was an ABQ thing and we were happy to get them when the Los Lunas location opened. Now they are all over the state, and moving into Az, Tx, and Co.

ETA: Also, by the comment that the staff was no help, the service was not bad at all, but when I asked about the mustard sauce (my first real experience with it) thay either didn't know, or wouldn't share how it was made. When I was in cooking school it was suggested that higher end joints would happily give customers recipes for many popular dishes. Even to the point of having high end recipe cards availabe to give to customers. When I was the chef for a day and adaped one of my childhood favorite recipes one of the teachers visiting our little restaurant didn't know me by name, but had taught me in an online class. He asked for the recipe, and I gave it. He went in to be the Food and Beverage Director for one of the high end hotels, with a couple of high end restaurants in town. It was one of my proudest moments in cooking school.

pat
    We've been to Whole Hog, once, right before everything locked down. Thought they were decent and would go back. For some reason I thought they were a chain out of Idaho.

County Line was our go to for BBQ until service issues. Been a couple years but remember the prices being more Rudy's level than say steakhouse level but it has been awhile.

Didn't realize Blake's had changed their meat. Weird story: last time we tried going to Blake's, the new one on 550, they actually had run out of hamburger and were down to hot dog's. Early into the lockdown and suspect the supply chain had crashed on them.

When life gets back to normal, hope a lot of the independents survive. Not BBQ but would hate to lose places like Two Fools or the Columbian place by UNM...

Site Supporter
    Whole Hog might be a chain from elsewhere. Maybe I fell for their decor...Their website is kinda poorly done, but if I read it right the only non NM reference to doing business is a trailer concession in Arkansas. All references to restaurant service is ABQ and Santa Fe. They even appear to be exclusively using Pecan to smoke Memphis Style BBQ with. Depending on the year, NM leads the country in pecan production.

I drop into Rudy's a couple times a month for breakfast tacos. And once every couple of months for a smoked potato filled with brisket and sausage for lunch.

Stripes Biscuit Company seems to be gone. The wife and I were trying to work our way through their menu. Stripes Burrito Company is going strong opening more locations and extending hours at current locations. Hands down we prefer their burritos to Twisters every day of the week. They are what Twisters used to be. Thier chicken sandwich is claimed to be the best in the city, and I can't think of one better. Or as good. Blakes introduced two sandwiches to compete, and it was no contest. Stripes is currently my second favorite breakfast burrito in town, and I have it far more often than my favorite due to cost.

pat

Great, now I’m going to have two bbq threads to follow here, one for cooking and one for eating someone else’s cooking!

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....t-etc-)/page16
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Tempting, but there's nothing here worth smoking. Good, BBQ worthy meat is hard to get in the Highlands, as is any kind of wood useful for smoking.
    I smoke chickens and make homemade stock with the carcasses. It adds a nice flavor to some of the family favorites like gumbo, Jambalaya, and tortilla soup.

Charcoal works just fine for smoking - not sure if that's any more accessible than a good hardwood?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Where?

Having been to the Carolinas, Texas and KC, my favorite BBQ is definitely KC. Jack's Stacks, Q39, Gates, and Joe's KC were all crazy tasty.
    In DC, the Federalist Pig and Hill Country BBQ are good.

In North Carolina, Skylight Inn, Wilber's, and Parkers are pretty good Carolina BBQ.
    Last edited by DamonL; 02-23-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    I smoke chickens and make homemade stock with the carcasses. It adds a nice flavor to some of the family favorites like gumbo, Jambalaya, and tortilla soup.

Charcoal works just fine for smoking - not sure if that's any more accessible than a good hardwood?
    Unless you're close to one of the yellow lines, I'm guessing that any kind of commercially processed goods would be hard to find. I can point you to instructions on how to make a smoker from a galvanized trash can, but it sounds like even the trash can would be difficult to source if you're in the PNG outback. I figured good meat and wood would be available. Pigs grow anywhere. Apparently not.

Name:  PNG.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  37.5 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Fired up the flat top for lunch. Kroger had some shredded buffalo chicken breast on Wahoo sale. Added some spicy Hunan fry sauce and threw in some on-hand caramelized onions/adobo/poblano/shiitake/garlic mix at the end to reheat and mix. Tossed a pile on a toasted Dave's 21 grain burger bun (which are excellent), pickle slices and Tabasco Sriracha.

Delish.

Forgot to take a picture...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Charcoal is also difficult to find here. It is a third world country, and the supply chain is a bit iffy at the best of times, and sanitary practices can be non-existent.

And while live pigs are available locally, the custom is to feed them on fish meal, which means you get some really fishy tasting pork. Heck, even the beef & poultry can have a bit of a fishy taste sometimes. The better quality meat is sourced out of the coastal cities, but that's a whole nother can of worms.

As we say on a regular basis, it is what it is.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    File under FWIW BBQ recommendations....

These buns from Dave's Killer Bread are EXCELLENT. Great flavor, healthier than white, lower calorie than white (140 each) and way heartier than white. They hold up WAY better to sauces and juicy meats than any white bun I've tried. And I like the texture of the multi-seeded exterior, YMMV on that.

If you're looking for something that will stand up better to a juicy pulled pork sandwich (with slaw and vinegar sauce, dammit! ), worth a try.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    File under FWIW BBQ recommendations....

These buns from Dave's Killer Bread are EXCELLENT. Great flavor, healthier than white, lower calorie than white (140 each) and way heartier than white. They hold up WAY better to sauces and juicy meats than any white bun I've tried. And I like the texture of the multi-seeded exterior, YMMV on that.

If you're looking for something that will stand up better to a juicy pulled pork sandwich (with slaw and vinegar sauce, dammit! ), worth a try.

DKB is great stuff. It's my bread of choice when I get a choice.

Chris

User Tag List