Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: And Yet Another 320 Lawsuit?

And Yet Another 320 Lawsuit?

Mods, please move/merge/delete accordingly.

I haven't seen this one mentioned yet in the various P320 lawsuit threads. But some of those threads are pretty long with various amounts of links, data, info, opinions.

Anyway here's the latest:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ge-wounds.html

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 02-19-2021 at 04:51 PM.

I would be interested in looking at an xray from the side of several different designs to see how much engagement there truly is of the striker and sear! I can remember looking at the back of an XD and you can see how much interface there is, or rather how little, which was all I needed to see.

Maybe I am ignorant, but isn't all strike fired pistol not the safest to carry with a round in the chamber. They are all like half cocked ready to fire? I don't think I would carry a strike fire pistol day in and day out with a round in the chamber. I would find a DA/SA one for that.

I am sure a lot of people disagree with me on this, but that's just me, I would not put a round in the chamber in my glock 26 all the time. I have no issue putting a round in the chamber with my S&W659 because I can lower the hammer after I load the chamber by putting the safety on and drop the hammer. Then no matter what, it won't discharge accidentally as the hammer is down already.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
    Maybe I am ignorant, but isn't all strike fired pistol not the safest to carry with a round in the chamber. They are all like half cocked ready to fire? I don't think I would carry a strike fire pistol day in and day out with a round in the chamber. I would find a DA/SA one for that.

I am sure a lot of people disagree with me on this, but that's just me, I would not put a round in the chamber in my glock 26 all the time. I have no issue putting a round in the chamber with my S&W659 because I can lower the hammer after I load the chamber by putting the safety on and drop the hammer. Then no matter what, it won't discharge accidentally as the hammer is down already.
    I used to laugh at GLOCK calling their drop safety a “safety”. After all, you should guide the trigger assembly to only release when pulled to the rear, and not by any other forces. It’s like Sig is looking me straight in the eye and saying “hold my beer”. Am I wrong in thinking the word responsibility changed meanings after Gen X??

I'm a little confused as to the dynamics at play here. Is it possible that he somehow hit the gun pretty hard on the draw, causing the striker to drop? I seem to recall one of our members here who could get strikers to release by using a rubber mallet. I'm curious if, under the "stress" of a timer/instructor, he managed to hit the frame hard enough to cause the firing pin to drop. I'm just trying to understand how this could have happened.

Regardless, *if* this is verified, it definitely would make me have 2nd thoughts about carrying a P320. More so than I do now anyway.

Oh, this looks bad for Sig. First we had Glock leg and now Sig leg. Has S&W been sued yet?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

@HCM, I remember you mentioning a P320 discharge incident involving an ICE employee in one of the threads we have here. Is this the incident you were referring to?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Not all striker fired guns are created equally. Some are fully uncocked, some are partially cocked, some are fully cocked. There is also the matter of how much of the striker is supported by the sear, etc.

Some designs are a lot safer than others (Glock, Walther P99, Kahr).

Edit Read the link below it should help clarify to some degree.

Does anyone remember the thread title and/or article where Tom Jones described the differences in striker mechabisms? I remember it was on one of the blog sites, either The Firearm Blog or The Truth About Guns. It wasn't properly attributed (initially), but I think was addendumed to note it was basically Tom's description.

Edit Found It! https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...n-really-safe/

I apologize for a partial thread derailment.

1. The fact a claim is made or a suit is filed does not mean the allegations are provable or true (and those are not necessarily the same thing). We have to keep in mind there are many, many P320s in the hands of cops and soldiers and others and these claims and suits can be counted on one or two hands.

2. My personal belief, which only grows stronger as time passes, is that law enforcement and defensive shooters should never have abandoned DA/SA, DAO, DAK and LEM pistols except in very limited circumstances. Striker fired guns are fine as range toys and competition guns, but for “serious purposes,” and from a safety standpoint, as someone once said about .40 vs 9mm, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. And, yes, of course I realize that the DA guns are not immune being inadvertently fired, and that Glocks and M&Ps don't go off by themselves. I also know that if I had a party and invited everyone who shared my view, and they all came, I could have the party in my kitchen.

3. If I were forced into carrying a striker fired gun at the present, I can see no reason to deal with the P320 drama. If I had a choice, I would carry an M&P, a Walther, a Glock or maybe a Beretta. Maybe the P320 is fine, but I would rather let others figure that out without me being a test subject. The P320 does nothing that isn’t done just as well by another gun. Besides, when I look at all the fiddly parts in the FCU, I just don’t like what I see. I like my M&Ps and would likely go that route.

I look forward to perhaps being able to see witness testimony transcripts and the expert witness reports from these lawsuits someday.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Some striker fired guns have thumb safeties, and there's an aftermarket doo-dad called the SCD or "the gadget" that allows you to holster as safely with a Glock as you can with a hammer fired gun. But, yes, as a class striker fired are not the safest. That does not mean they are unsafe, as "safe" and "unsafe" are not binary states but a sliding scale. It does mean you have less margin of error for things like trigger checks, obstructed holsters, etc.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List