Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Man Powers Home With F150

Texas Man Powers Home With F150

https://thepostmillennial.com/man-in...uring-blackout

Interesting story here related to the ongoing mess in Texas. Anyone have experience with this model? Seems like a desirable feature for emergencies, camping and the like, although the “powered whole home” part seems a bit exaggerated.

I’m not a truck guy so I don’t know if this is a Ford only feature. Living in a fairly urban suburb, I like the idea of having a generator option that is mobile without any additional planning and effort.

There was a story a few years ago, about someone who used a Prius as a backup generator. Pretty much any hybrid should be capable. (just have to limit what you run on it to essentials)

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    There was a story a few years ago, about someone who used a Prius as a backup generator. Pretty much any hybrid should be capable. (just have to limit what you run on it to essentials)
    I’m far out of my lane here, but I thought the unique benefit of the Ford offering is that it’s designed to perform this function and has standard outlets in the truck bed and onboard infrastructure to support use as a secondary generator.

It that common to other hybrid vehicles? I honestly have no idea.

What's the Gal/KWH rating though.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    What's the Gal/KWH rating though.
    Seems to be multiple package levels available as per this article.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/0...generator.html

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    I’m far out of my lane here, but I thought the unique benefit of the Ford offering is that it’s designed to perform this function and has standard outlets in the truck bed and onboard infrastructure to support use as a secondary generator.

It that common to other hybrid vehicles? I honestly have no idea.
    I don't know if it is common or not. I do know after seeing a youtube video, where someone found a Prius with new batteries, but a bad motor, it made me think this might be something to watch for, for a relatives farm/emergency use thing as used ones become cheaper and more available (when low on gas, drive the 10 miles to the gas station and refill).

1) That's cool.

2) We have significant power outages five or six times a year andI do pretty much the same thing with my cheap ass generator from Lowes instead of putting hours on a $55K pickup truck.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    1) That's cool.

2) We have significant power outages five or six times a year andI do pretty much the same thing with my cheap ass generator from Lowes instead of putting hours on a $55K pickup truck.
    I totally get what your saying. It’s not quite there technology wise yet but it’s intriguing for my particular situation. The closer you get to urban the less space and ability to store things like the generator itself or even gasoline. I’m suburban not in an apartment but I have people in my circles who are both. Self contained, multi purpose, mobility peaks my interest. Definitely cool.

It's just an inverter built into into the trucks electrical system. Although convenient, one can do the same thing if your vehicle has a 7 way RV receptacle under the rear bumper. Lots of SUV's and pickups have these. My 2019 Toyota 4R has one. It also has a single plug inverter in the cargo area. To use the 7 way receptacle you need one of these;

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopk...%20DC%20system.

And one of these;

https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-110v...motive&sr=1-11

You also need to do a little research about the watts of the appliances or devices you want to supply power to and choose the inverter you need. This may not be the one you need.

If I were buying a new pickup I would want the package but you don't need to buy a new vehicle to power an inverter. You just need the 7 way receptacle.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-19-2021 at 12:25 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I have a 1000 watt invertor that has jumper cables. Hook it to the truck, runs my heating system in my house. Not as convenient, but same concept.

User Tag List