Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Texas Man Powers Home With F150

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    It does seem that one would want more than 300 watts to be delivered into an RV, so, I agree, that the line should be capable of delivering significantly useful power. I am about to tackle an unrelated this-old-house project, so am going to set this subject matter aside, for today, but it is definitely something to get into, well before hurricane season, which is FAR more significant, here in SE Texas, and little more than three months away.
    I think an RV refrigerator can take up to 400 watts to run. It's going to run off of the RV batteries, shore power or propane. When running on RV batteries (towing) those will need to be recharged somehow. I don't think the 7 pin DC output can keep up with that load. We had solar panels so there was additional charging capability. I never noticed a low RV battery after rolling for 5 hours with the fridge running on battery but I've heard it can happen. So the RV battery is the critical component here when one uses the RV appliances without AC hook up or propane.

I like Whomever's calculation. I think 240 watts is about max. from the 7 pin.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I found this about the new F-150 inverter.

The 2.0-kW system can be added to any F-150 equipped with the 2.7-liter V-6, 3.5-liter V-6 or 5.0-liter V-8 engine. When activated, the system runs the engine to provide power to the inverter and two 120-volt, 20-amp three-prong outlets in the bed of the truck. It operates while the vehicle is parked or while it’s in motion, enabling you to keep items plugged into the outlets in the bed that might need recharging as you’re driving to a worksite or campsite. It provides up to 2,000 watts of power for whatever you want to plug in. This is a considerable upgrade from what most 120-volt outlets presented in trucks currently are usually limited to 400 watts, which is enough to power portable speakers or maybe a small television at a tailgate party. But now with 2,000 watts to play with, you can theoretically power some speakers, a TV, an electric heater, a mini-fridge and a blender, perhaps all at the same time.
    May have been posted earlier and I missed it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’m guessing a Keurig draws more juice than a regular coffee maker. The low draw Mr Coffee is only $29 ....
    I think it’s just the cheap ass heater in the one cup brewer, the larger one the next day turned faster once it was up to temp.

It ran that swamp cooler just fine last summer when we hit the range in 107f heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I have not been posting lately... tapa talk sucks, and I have a hard time reading post on my phones browser...

But...
    I powered a few things this week off my little inverter. We had no power for about 30 hours, spread out over 3 days. Water was intermittent and would cut off and on at random as the pump stations kept going down. Inverter is 750w. Truck was running for about 20 to 24 hours total at idle. Used about half a tank of gas.

Name:  FCE5FF02-C3C9-455F-B501-C63929F11694.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  52.7 KB
    Name:  DAEC8EE1-F9DF-43F6-A947-9A11D21AA654.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  86.4 KB
    Name:  E0368817-1709-4130-84E4-F979F74127F7.jpg
Size:  63.4 KB

I just hung the back end of my tundra out the garage, and ran a couple extension cords into the house. It ran my fridge to keep from losing a $500 worth of meat in the the freezer and deep freeze. Also ran the TV in the living room, and I used my cell phone to stream netflix to the Apple TV. So we had some entertainment to go along with the 13° Temps, no power and no water. The only portable heater I had was 1200w and like 10amp, so we could not run it. I had a few duraflame logs and limited firewood for the cold. But we made it through with no burst pipes.

Name:  1E1652E4-0F6C-4E4F-A0D5-D81038FAD43B.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  56.5 KB
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I have not been posting lately... tapa talk sucks, and I have a hard time reading post on my phones browser...

But...
    I powered a few things this week off my little inverter. We had no power for about 30 hours, spread out over 3 days. Water was intermittent and would cut off and on at random as the pump stations kept going down. Inverter is 750w. Truck was running for about 20 to 24 hours total at idle. Used about half a tank of gas.

Name:  FCE5FF02-C3C9-455F-B501-C63929F11694.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  52.7 KB
    Name:  DAEC8EE1-F9DF-43F6-A947-9A11D21AA654.jpg
Size:  86.4 KB
    Name:  E0368817-1709-4130-84E4-F979F74127F7.jpg
Size:  63.4 KB

I just hung the back end of my tundra out the garage, and ran a couple extension cords into the house. It ran my fridge to keep from losing a $500 worth of meat in the the freezer and deep freeze. Also ran the TV in the living room, and I used my cell phone to stream netflix to the Apple TV. So we had some entertainment to go along with the 13° Temps, no power and no water. The only portable heater I had was 1200w and like 10amp, so we could not run it. I had a few duraflame logs and limited firewood for the cold. But we made it through with no burst pipes.

Name:  1E1652E4-0F6C-4E4F-A0D5-D81038FAD43B.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  56.5 KB
    Glad to hear your no worse for wear. Thanks for sharing your experience with the truck.

User Tag List