Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Viability of Pieing

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Other than AMIS, which is rarely offered for various reasons, is there another open enrollment individual tactics course with a force on force on force component?
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Jon Dufresne of Kinetic Consulting does a solo tactics course called “Weaponized Geometry” which I believe includes FOF via Airsoft.
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I think the dude behind Cherries Holsters, or something similar, used to offer an OE “Israeli Solo CQB” thing.
    You lost me at "Israeli."

Sage Dynamics also offers Citizen Response to Active Shooter which is essentially a solo tactics / FOF course. Looks like he has 2 scheduled this year.

Craig and Aaron Cowan need no introduction here. Duffy is a former Ranger (scroll) who is an also AI for Sage Dynamics. Looks like he has 3 Weaponized Geometry classes on the calendar this year.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-24-2021 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    At least one took rounds through the exterior wall of a mobile home in 2018.

Doors / Doorframes keep being mentioned but IME shooting through walls is as common or more common among those switched on enough to shoot through cover/concealment
    Just to check if I am tracking correctly now. We have established bad guys do shoot through walls/doors/intermediate barriers/ concealment.

That can be a trained action, if the bad guy knows ballistics. Or an untrained action, in that he is firing wildly and rounds may strike a wall.

I tend to revert to training for fighting trained people vs untrained people. In the old CQB adage "speed, surprise, violence of action". If you lose one. You need to make up for it. Where as if maneuvering in a hallway, if indications are I am about to take contact and withdrawing is not an option, then it becomes a game of speed.

All this revolves around what the situation is feeding you. These are the sorts of things I guess I was hoping to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    *quietly to self*"Why are you doing this???"

Okay, I'll bite. The OP's question initially seemed geared towards Solo movement in structures, while armed, correct? And whether 'Pieing' is a viable tactic in that context, versus more 'athletic' or 'dynamic' tactics based on movement? Several posters here, with a great deal of training and experience, have said that yes, in context it can be. Several posters have explained that tactics depend on situational context, and that what is applicable in one circumstance may not work in another. Many can succeed, and all can fail. The fact is that Solo 'Clearing' of a structure is a big shit sandwich, and you should avoid taking a bite unless lives are in danger.

The OP appears to disagree with that assessment, though exactly why (given the context qualifiers provided by other posters) is really not clear to me. Other than, "I don't agree. I think this is a better tactic." Cool, man. You do you. If that 'tactic' works better for you in your experience, drive on. Nobody is trying to convince you, they're simply stating what they do in the context of their training and experience. You seem to be trying to convince yourself, by convincing others. But maybe I'm wrong.

Several posters have inquired about your background, in an attempt to figure out where you're coming from. Several of those people have a great deal of training and experience in this subject, and have offered their thoughts based on that. You do not seem willing to offer yours, due to 'privacy', etc.

Lest I be called a hypocrite....I've been a cop for 29 years with one of the largest municipal agencies on the West Coast. I've worked the district with the highest concentration of violent crime west of the Mississippi, and possibly the most 'diverse' police district in the state (gang infested housing projects on one end, Nancy Pelosi, Dianne Feinstein and the Getty Family on the other). Most of that career was spent in patrol, by choice, save for a stint in General Investigations (Robbery, Burglary, Agg. Assault). I was shot at 4 times as a patrolman, and had to drop the hammer myself. I have participated in "Armed movement in structures" in every type of structure you can imagine, residential and commercial. I was a Patrol and First Responder Tactics instructor for our department. I currently supervise the firearms training program for our department, where I am struggling desperately to drag our program kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. I do not believe I have all...or even most...of the answers, and regularly consult with my peers up and down the state about best practices, training methodologies, equipment, etc. Some of those dudes are also members here, by the way.

In answer to your question, the consensus answer basically boils down to "Sure....maybe....it depends." Without knowing you or your background, the direction of the conversation points to a lack of experience. Or at least that's how it comes across. I mean...a lot of these guys are trying to kind of agree with you, if you haven't caught that.

This thread in some ways reminds me of a recruit we had recently, who's known to another forum member here. Very good shooter, who's been shooting pretty seriously with some local guys for over a year. We do an 'In-House' course review with the recruits after the training, separate from the POST mandated 1-5 BS reviews they have to do. We ask for actual honest feedback from the recruits, and we've actually made changes to the program based on consistent themes we see in those reviews. This recruit was very honest in his review, and was appalled that we expected recruits to obtain the level of skill it took him a year to achieve in our 80 hour program. Point being that he entirely missed the point, and the program is not at all geared toward such an outcome (would that it was!). I think this kid has the makings of a good cop...but he hadn't quite grasped that being a good shooter is not the same thing as being a good cop. Maybe he has by now.

This is not to slam anyone for a lack of experience. We all started there, and there's always someone cleverer than yourself, to quote Merlin. But if you're missing when people are saying "Yeah sure, that could work, but maybe this too..."? I dunno, think about it.
    If this comes down to the training resume to establish credibility to be able to participate in a discussion, then sure:
    I have taken AMIS, on multiple occasions
    I have taken multiple Forge Tactical CQB (pair and team level) courses
    I have taken VCQB with Petty
    I have taken a variety of other SUT/CQB classes open to civs and not

As for respecting someone's "privacy". That is absolutely a thing...

Quote Originally Posted by KEW8338 View Post
    If this comes down to the training resume to establish credibility to be able to participate in a discussion, then sure:
    I have taken AMIS, on multiple occasions
    I have taken multiple Forge Tactical CQB (pair and team level) courses
    I have taken VCQB with Petty
    I have taken a variety of other SUT/CQB classes open to civs and not
    I smell bullshit. You would know the answers to the questions you're asking.....especially in context to AMIS, which you clearly didn't attend based on your knowledge/understanding of the concepts.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I smell bullshit. You would know the answers to the questions you're asking.....especially in context to AMIS, which you clearly didn't attend based on your knowledge/understanding of the concepts.

He's not bullshitting. I know him.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    He's not bullshitting. I know him.
    So is this some big troll thread then? You invited him to come take the class with you, as if he's never been to it.

So is this some big troll thread then? You invited him to come take the class with you, as if he's never been to it.

Having a private conversation right now. He has reservations about things I've taught him based on current real world observations. Which is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Having a private conversation right now. He has reservations about things I've taught him based on current real world observations. Which is fine.
    Which is totally fine, but someone thinking all of these tactics are built/developed off sim runs, or asking "what's the difference between pieing a doorway and a threshold clear?" Isn't really indicative of such experience or understanding.

This is just weird. Have fun ya'll.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-24-2021 at 07:25 AM.

Which is totally fine, but asking "what's a threshold clear?" Isn't really indicative of such experience or understanding.

This is just weird. Have fun ya'll.

Oh he has experience and understanding. Quite a bit.

I think he was hoping for debate on the topic outside of me which is flawed since AMIS was specifically referenced and it was inevitable that I would enter the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I think the dude behind Cherries Holsters, or something similar, used to offer an OE “Israeli Solo CQB” thing.
    Yikes that sounds awful, I guess I should have added “recommended” to my question 🙂

User Tag List