Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Party! AR-15 Accessories - What's the brain trust like?

Build Party! AR-15 Accessories - What's the brain trust like?

Need to outfit a few acquisitions. Not looking to break the bank on this stuff but if something is really worth it, I'll get it. However, not everything can wear a modlight . These are my starting points but I don't have firm opinions yet.

Flashlights - Streamlight HL-X (wish it was thinner), maybe one Modlight?
    Flashlight tape switch/button - the unity tactical hot button and modlight modbutton look pretty cool. The HL-X comes with one.
    Flashlight mounts - Leaning toward Arisaka inline or offset. I just want something that mounts in close to the rail. Not sure how they compare to one another or if there is something else better out there.
    Vertical grip - no opinions yet
    Hand stops - no opinions yet
    Sling swivels - Currently using BFG, but the button is a little too recessed. Would like something that is faster/easier to change and can be easily used with gloves. I mostly run the mount close to the barrel nut but also have another mount near muzzle for sling supported positions.
    Sling swivel mount - Currently use BCM and they seem to work fine. FCD seems to make a bomb proof stainless steel one. Not sure if it is necessary though
    Rail covers/panel - I don't necessarily need these but if people have opinions go for it. I have BCMs and they seem to work fine.
    BUIS - I may cheap out on this. May wait for the MBUS 3s to come out.

What do you like and why?
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 02-19-2021 at 12:18 AM.

Flashlights - Cloud Rein and Modlite
    Flashlight tape switch/button - Cloud Rein setup
    Flashlight mounts - Arisaka or IWC, specific mount depends on your rail, barrel, and light you're mounting
    Vertical grip - Magpul MVG and BCM mod 3
    Hand stops - don't use them
    Sling swivels - I think any decent brand will do
    Sling swivel mount - BCM
    Rail covers/panel - don't use them
    BUIS - for red dots I like DD fixed sights and lower 1/3 dot, for scopes I have moved towards offset red dots (Holosun 403/503) on Arisaka mounts

I’m a noob but I’ll throw some opinions out there, especially RE lights.

Flashlights: Just not the HL-X, based on my experience. I described my problems in a shotgun thread but TLDR, they didn’t do multi battery sizing right and contact is spotty enough that recoil (including 5.56 recoil) or just a good bump can kill the light until you take it apart and reinstall the battery. I am far from the only person to have this problem. Go with any other Streamlight, or better, Arisaka scout lights as your lower priced light option. Maybe they’ve fixed this, but I wouldn’t get one unless I was damn sure. And it’s so close in price to an Arisaka I’m not sure I’d go to the effort.

Flashlight mounts: Yes to Arisaka. IWC all the way if you’re talking non freefloat handguards though.

VG: I personally prefer the BCM Mod 3 to the Magpul. I like the angle allowing a more natural position for my wrist but YMMV.

Handstops: No opinion, only ever tried the Arisaka, briefly.

Sling stuff: Basically if it’s made of metal and from a reputable company it should be fine, in my limited experience. If you want more raised release buttons try Magpul.

No opinions on the rest besides concurring with fixed backups when paired with a dot. I’m using Troys but that’s just because they were what I found in stock when I needed them.

Flashlights - Surefire scout mini
    Flashlight tape switch/button - factory clicky cap
    Flashlight mounts - Direct mount
    Vertical grip - Magpul
    Hand stops -
    Sling swivels -Direct mount with 1/4" webbing
    Sling swivel mount --Direct mount with 1/4" webbing
    Rail covers/panel - Geissele made some super low profile rubber strips for mlock that were great
    BUIS - magpul 45 offset on guns with magnification. None on RDS guns

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Need to outfit a few acquisitions. Not looking to break the bank on this stuff but if something is really worth it, I'll get it. However, not everything can wear a modlight . These are my starting points but I don't have firm opinions yet.

Flashlights - Streamlight HL-X (wish it was thinner), maybe one Modlight?
    Flashlight tape switch/button - the unity tactical hot button and modlight modbutton look pretty cool. The HL-X comes with one.
    Flashlight mounts - Leaning toward Arisaka inline or offset. I just want something that mounts in close to the rail. Not sure how they compare to one another or if there is something else better out there.
    Vertical grip - no opinions yet
    Hand stops - no opinions yet
    Sling swivels - Currently using BFG, but the button is a little too recessed. Would like something that is faster/easier to change and can be easily used with gloves. I mostly run the mount close to the barrel nut but also have another mount near muzzle for sling supported positions.
    Sling swivel mount - Currently use BCM and they seem to work fine. FCD seems to make a bomb proof stainless steel one. Not sure if it is necessary though
    Rail covers/panel - I don't necessarily need these but if people have opinions go for it. I have BCMs and they seem to work fine.
    BUIS - I may cheap out on this. May wait for the MBUS 3s to come out.

What do you like and why?
    Flashlights - I would definitely skip the Streamlights. Modlite, Cloud Defensive, Surefire, or Arisaka
    Flashlight tape switch/button - Again, I wouldn't trust the one that comes with the Streamlight. Unless it is just a toy, go with something else. I don't really like tape switches, and prefer to use the momentary scout tail cap from Arisaka. The modlite mod button lite or the stuff that comes with the Cloud Defensive Rein would be my choice if I had to use one.
    Flashlight mounts - I use Arisaka Offset as a default. On my SBR I need to have the light pushed out a bit more so I'm using a Haley Strategic SBR Thorntail mount.
    Vertical grip - None
    Hand stops - Arisaka Indexer
    Sling swivels - Currently using swivels from Impact Weapons Components. I don't have a strong opinion on these, but they were available. I run my slings on the outside side of the stock and on the rail close to the receiver.
    Sling swivel mount - I use the BCM ones that came with my BCM rails. They work fine.
    Rail covers/panel - I liked the BCM ones for the Keymod rails, not so much for MLOK. They just aren't as secure. I strongly prefer the Magpul Type 2 covers for MLOK, and as a plus they have better heat handling and grip texture.
    BUIS - I use the built in rear with my Unity tactical Aimpoint mount and a Scalarworks front for guns with a dot. Guns with an LPVO get offset dots.

You mentioned sling swivels and mounts, but not the sling itself. I've tried pretty much every sling out there, and I've recently found my absolute favorite... The Lunar Concepts Countour. It very similar to a Ferro Concepts Slingster (which I also really like) that won't scratch up your gun excessively and that fits better.

On tapeswitches, be aware that the SureFire SR07s are not designed for use with the newest generation of high drain lights, so using them with a Modlite or M600DF will cause a reduction in output, though it's not a drop that'll be easily distinguishable by the human eye at those levels of output.

I think there's an argument to skip handstops and just stick with a VFG for any more general purpose gun, as a VFG can still be easily used as a handstop, but a handstop cannot be used as a VFG. Much more useful in an institutional environment, such as weapons retention, comfort while patrolling, etc., and is probably more useful for support on barricades. That being said, for most folks in the civilian world, I don't think it's a huge difference.

For QDs, the Magpul QDM is my favorite, albeit overkill; I've not used the Geissele FSS, and they seemed to have stopped selling them by themselves, but on paper they also seem like a step above the typical QD.

To elaborate on the Magpul MVG versus the BCM mod 3, the MVG seems more usable as a standalone vert grip, but the BCM is a little more comfortable with a thumb over bore grip (I use the grip raked forward). The BCM feels slightly sturdier maybe because the MVG doesn't have any indexing tabs built in, just the mlok nuts.

For handstops, the Emissary Handbrake is by far my favorite. Great ergonomics, comes with a torx bit (no stupid allen screws!), has TWO M-LOK nuts (a lot of competitors cheap out and just do one). This thing is rock solid and feels good.

Name:  DSC_0081_tn.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0084_tn.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  41.3 KB
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

I'm partial to surefires on Arisaka mounts, unity buttons, and true north handstops (if not using a BCM short VFG)

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Flashlights - I like the Arisaka 600 series a lot. Surefire 600DF will probably be my next light. Have a couple HL-Xs on my SBRs, they're a good value for the price.
    Flashlight tape switch/button - I run tailcap only, wouldn't use a swich unless I had an IR laser or similar.
    Flashlight mounts - I use the Arisaka offset as well as a couple thorntails. The Arisaka is where it's at. Thorntail if you need to mount it forward.
    Vertical grip - I just us the magpul because it's not too big, not too small, and mounts directly to MLOK
    Hand stops - I really like the larger of the 2 Arisaka finger stops. Highly highly recommend
    Sling swivels - I have magpuls and midwest industries, they both seem fine.
    Sling swivel mount - Have BCM and magpul and a couple others, though mostly mount my QD swivels directly into handguard. I don't think about these much
    Rail covers/panel - So far my guns haven't gotten hot enough to need these yet. Ammo shortage helps...
    BUIS - I have both the plastic Magpul MBUS as well as the regular and 45 offset Pros. They all seem good, but the Pros are a lot easier to tuck under a scope.

User Tag List