Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Build Party! AR-15 Accessories - What's the brain trust like?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Nmodlight modbutton look pretty cool

What do you like and why?
    Stay away from the modlite modbutton lite. I bought (specifically) the lite version and was completely underwhelmed. I ended up giving it away and writing it off as a total loss.

I have a lot of critiques of it but that's just my opinion. To me the lite version casts a lot of shade on the modbutton itself.

If I were to venture down that path again it would be Unity Tactical or nothing.

Knowing basically nothing about rifles and beating the shit out of a couple Streamlight handhelds, I bought an HLX specifically for an AR. Can .556 recoil really fuck up a light that easy?

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Knowing basically nothing about rifles and beating the shit out of a couple Streamlight handhelds, I bought an HLX specifically for an AR. Can .556 recoil really fuck up a light that easy?
    That was my experience, and again it didn’t even necessarily have to be recoil. Just reasonable use and transport of the rifle would result in a dead light. Now I was using CR123s, and apparently for some people using only 18650s fixed or improved this issue (larger battery when the issue is an oversized battery compartment that allows the batteries to move away from their contact points). This is all based on my experience and a discussion on a P&S modcast that posted to Youtube just as I was having problems. I think we’re talking late 2018 early 2019. They may have improved the light since then.

Since you already have the light, I’d see what happens but just be aware of the issue and test for it, within reason. I’m not a light expert or even a light nerd. I just have this one experience where I got burned so I try to pass it along in hopes that it’s helpful. I’m also a Streamlight fan in other contexts - their handhelds are great and I understand the Rail Mount 1 and 2 don’t have problems like the HLX.

Site Supporter
    Flashlights - Cloud Defense REIN or Modlite
    Flashlight tape switch/button - Cloud Defense or Modlite
    Flashlight mounts - Airisaka inline
    Vertical grip - none - but a small one, like Magpul's or BCM's would be my go-to
    Hand stops - none on my rifles, BCM KAG handstop on my carbines - flat facing forward for barricade use
    Sling swivels - Magpul, BCM, Daniels
    Sling swivel mount - BCM - price is generally right
    Rail covers/panel - None on my MLOK, and I leave the 12 o'clock top rail alone
    BUIS - Magpul Pro's for my magnified optic rifle, none on my PCC/trainers, Daniel A1.5 or Troy for red dot's. I'm very interested in the upcoming MBUS option.

I can make my streamlight rail mount flicker by unloading the gun, locking the bolt back and hitting the bolt release. Will be replacing it with a surefire m600df soon

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    For handstops, the Emissary Handbrake is by far my favorite. Great ergonomics, comes with a torx bit (no stupid allen screws!), has TWO M-LOK nuts (a lot of competitors cheap out and just do one). This thing is rock solid and feels good.

Attachment 67792

Attachment 67793
    And now I have a few of those on the way to me. This site costs me too much money.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I can't deny the negative experiences others have had with them, but I've had I think 3 or 4 HL-X lights total at this point. The two I still have left are on a pair of SBRs that have >1k rounds thru each gun. Both lights have held up just fine during recoil, on and off. One of the two in particular seems to be cursed and has taken a ton of falls, no problems at all.

I'm planning on replacing them with Surefire M600DFs eventually but im really not in a rush. YMMV.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Stay away from the modlite modbutton lite. I bought (specifically) the lite version and was completely underwhelmed. I ended up giving it away and writing it off as a total loss.

I have a lot of critiques of it but that's just my opinion. To me the lite version casts a lot of shade on the modbutton itself.

If I were to venture down that path again it would be Unity Tactical or nothing.
    I have no issues with the Modbutton lite.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post

Do you mind elaborating on the shortcomings you experienced? I have one, used with a 600DF, and while I have issues with the light output, the problems existed before I started using the switch and appear rooted in a defective light head that needs to go back to SF.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I have no issues with the Modbutton lite.
    That's fine. I am sure it works well for some people otherwise they wouldn't be selling them. For myself I was not impressed at all. All I can do is share my own experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Do you mind elaborating on the shortcomings you experienced? I have one, used with a 600DF, and while I have issues with the light output, the problems existed before I started using the switch and appear rooted in a defective light head that needs to go back to SF.
    There are a number of things that I didn't like/care for at all.

In no particular order... it was plastic and substandard rubber but that in and of itself was not a deal breaker. The button itself was extremely difficult to depress to activate the light and it was not very user friendly in my opinion. The way the button was recessed inside the housing was in my opinion less than optimal. The internal switch that they used underneath the rubber was basically a tiny little activation switch and it was a pain in the butt to both find and depress and it could only be pushed by using the very tip of my thumb. I could not depress the button with the meaty part of my thumb (like I was giving a thumb print). I had to bend my thumb over and try to cram it down on that tiny little spot to activate the light.

Just putting pressure on the rubberized part was not going to activate the light at all. I kind of struggle with the wording to describe it but basically the actual activation button didn't have any meat to it at all. The actual activation switch was a little bigger around than the pencil lead on a #2 pencil and it was difficult to depress. I had to basically feel around and figure out which part underneath that rubberized part contained the actual button and the only way to activate it at all was to dig in with the very tip of a finger and with way more force than I felt it should have needed. Digging around with the point of my thumb to find that tiny spot to activate the light and then trying to cram the tip of my thumb down on that at just the right angle to make it work kind of sucked. After using it for not very long my hands and fingers (particularly my thumb) hurt pretty bad and for a few days afterwards. Imagine trying to depress a stubborn button as big around as an AR15 roll pin that had a little bit of rubber over it and you could only push it with the tip of your thumb. I don't know how to describe it but that's kind of what I am talking about.

The materials they made the whole thing out of were not quality in my opinion. The housing was plastic yes, but the rubber button portion was not good rubber, but even with that the underlying switch (that needed to be depressed) was not good quality either. I have an Arisaka light with their tail cap on it and the rubber there is top notch as is the button itself. I would (now) suspect the Unity Tactical button and the Arisaka tail cap would have a lot more in common. Basically both are far superior products in both form, quality and function. However the Modbutton Lite is far in the distance behind either of those other two. Basically I am pretty much off the fence out the modbutton lite. It was not at all ready for prime time based on the product I received. It has a lot of promise to the design otherwise I would not have purchased one but the execution of the concept wasn't quite there yet.

To each his own by all means but for me I won't bother with the modbutton. It's just an inferior product that needs some (at least one) of the key components revised to even be considered by me again.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 02-26-2021 at 01:58 AM.

User Tag List