Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Civil disturbance you say........................?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I spent most of my formative years in KC, (I don't like to admit I'm a California native). Back then KC was a great place to grow up. I spent the first 13 years of my LE career in the southwestern part of the state, before transferring back to the Wichita area, where I spent the last half on the midnight shift as part of the circus that is the Kansas Turnpike. Eastern and western Kansas are two entirely different worlds.
    What's 200+ acres in the middle of nowhere, KS, go for these days?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    What's 200+ acres in the middle of nowhere, KS, go for these days?
    Sorry, none available.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I spent several nights during the POST academy de-capping, re-priming and stuffing cotton balls into the now primed .45 ACP cases for one of our instructors. The instructor figured out on range day one that I could shoot (I shot a possible 300 for 300 on the initial course of fire) and once he discovered I was a USPSA shooter and reloader, he tasked me with loading the .45 ACPs.

They were later used on the cadets for traffic stops, building searches, etc. If you screwed up, you got shot with a cotton ball from the instructors 45 ACP revolvers. Later they stopped using them, as they found out that little bits of metal can also sometimes exit from the primer flash hole. I don't recall anyone ever getting hurt, I think it was more of a "Hurt Feelings" issue of seeing the muzzle flash of a 625 S&W, knowing you screwed up on a traffic stop and now you are dead. Eye protection was always worn anyways, so the worst anybody got was hit with a scorched cotton ball.

Site Supporter
    I grew up on KC BBQ. Every time I go down south to visit our daughter, I nearly upchuck over that crap they call BBQ.
    You know, I used to be a BBQ snob, but then I lived in places with a genuine lack of any sort of quality BBQ, and I became a lot more agnostic as to BBQ style, as long as the meat was smoked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I spent several nights during the POST academy de-capping, re-priming and stuffing cotton balls into the now primed .45 ACP cases for one of our instructors. The instructor figured out on range day one that I could shoot (I shot a possible 300 for 300 on the initial course of fire) and once he discovered I was a USPSA shooter and reloader, he tasked me with loading the .45 ACPs.

They were later used on the cadets for traffic stops, building searches, etc. If you screwed up, you got shot with a cotton ball from the instructors 45 ACP revolvers. Later they stopped using them, as they found out that little bits of metal can also sometimes exit from the primer flash hole. I don't recall anyone ever getting hurt, I think it was more of a "Hurt Feelings" issue of seeing the muzzle flash of a 625 S&W, knowing you screwed up on a traffic stop and now you are dead. Eye protection was always worn anyways, so the worst anybody got was hit with a scorched cotton ball.
    Before we went to simmunitions we used something similar, with a primed red plastic case and a cotton ball inserted. Similar setup with shotguns as well. The accurate range was surprising and it was enough to sting. Of course, the guns were real, which is wisely considered a no-no now, but that's the way things were done in that different country called the past.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    As someone that decided to recently get into 45, I can say that this was the best time to do it.

I stocked up on my other calibers pre-shitshow for cheap, and at a fraction of what 45 costed. Now, however, I'm trading those same cartridges at current market value on a 1:1 ratio.

In my mind, 45 has never been so cheap. I've got enough 223/5.56, 9mm and 38 to trade for 45 for some time to come.
    I traded a buddy 1 for 1 his new in case/ box old duty/ and training .45 ACP ammo for 7.62x39 steel case golden tigers.... His dept used to issue Glock 21's and gave out free practice ammo and extra duty rounds to those who wanted it.... They switched early last year to Gen 5 17's..... He just recently got a AK and had no ammo for it....and no other .45 pistols.... I couldn't make the trade fast enough and he actually told me he felt like he was winning too much when we did....I told him not to worry about it, just remember I have more AK rounds if his range master ever decides he wants to empty out the rest of the .45 from the dept's store room....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

You look like a slugger for The Outfit. One of John Cerone’s crew

When I went on the job we still had half a dozen M28s in the academy armory, complete with Cutts compensators, drum mags, etc. When I was on SWAT those may have made several trips to the range, but I can niether confirm nor deny.
    My grandpa went to work at an Ohio prison when it opened about 1960. He said they had a Thompson or two, and two cases of auto-rim ammunition. He said he tried to explain that the ammo wouldn’t work in the guns and offered to take the ammunition away but they wouldn’t let him.

I also remember him saying that during the war everyone wanted to be the Thompson man, until they got to be one. He said something about a heavy vest of mags that went with it.

The Marine instructors at San Diego NTC demonstrated to my recruit company the full auto version. I guess they got bored training recruits and it was a diversion on range day. That's right, range day. We had one full day at the range with the Garand and that was the extent of our firearms training. That was an awesome demonstration but we never touched an M-14 or a 1911, although I was issued a 1911 at both of my duty stations following boot camp. I guess they just assumed I knew how to run it, which I did. I was in SD about 15 years ago and asked someone how I could get to Point Loma NTC and he said it was closed and most of it was gone. I did tour USS Midway while I was there which was worthwhile. SD has a nice climate.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The Marine instructors at San Diego NTC demonstrated to my recruit company the full auto version. I guess they got bored training recruits and it was a diversion on range day. That's right, range day. We had one full day at the range with the Garand and that was the extent of our firearms training. That was an awesome demonstration but we never touched an M-14 or a 1911, although I was issued a 1911 at both of my duty stations following boot camp. I guess they just assumed I knew how to run it, which I did. I was in SD about 15 years ago and asked someone how I could get to Point Loma NTC and he said it was closed and most of it was gone. I did tour USS Midway while I was there which was worthwhile. SD has a nice climate.
    When I enlisted (Navy) they gave me a choice of San Diego or Great Lakes. It was January and I thought, "Great Lakes in January......" Tough choice. It wound up being the coldest January on record in San Diego, but it wasn't Great Mistakes in January, or Kansas for that matter.

We didn't get to shoot M1s but we had to lug them around throughout boot camp.

User Tag List