Thread: "Iron" Sight Selection

"Iron" Sight Selection

Iron sights appear to headed toward extinction, but I'm looking to upgrade the stock sights on one of our 4" Kimbers. I'm sure Truglo are great sights, but they don't seem to publish the notch and post widths. While my vision is excellent in my dominant eye I'm still using glasses, progressives when I'm not competing, and I prefer more white space to less. The shorter barrel also shrinks the white space.

The Kimber stock sights are a joke, 0.135 rear/ 0.140 front; might be ok for square range, slow fire.
    My P2000 wears Trijicon, 0.165 rear/ 0.145 front; I like these, but $$ and don't appear to be available for the Kimber
    My 1911s use a Harrison rear 0.140/ Dawson FO front 0.125; this amount of white space (for me) supports fast transitions.

Any other suppliers out there that someone might recommend? Given vendor supply issues I'll probably just go with a set of Dawsons which have always worked well for me and the rear/front at 0.125/0.100 will be much better than stock. My HD gun is an RDS SBR so night sights are not critical on my EDC being old and not a night person.

Kimber has a proprietary rear dovetail and I think Springfield front dovetail.

Heinie, 10-8, Novak, Dawson all make sights that’ll fit it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Iron sights appear to headed toward extinction, but I'm looking to upgrade the stock sights on one of our 4" Kimbers. I'm sure Truglo are great sights, but they don't seem to publish the notch and post widths. While my vision is excellent in my dominant eye I'm still using glasses, progressives when I'm not competing, and I prefer more white space to less. The shorter barrel also shrinks the white space.

The Kimber stock sights are a joke, 0.135 rear/ 0.140 front; might be ok for square range, slow fire.
    My P2000 wears Trijicon, 0.165 rear/ 0.145 front; I like these, but $$ and don't appear to be available for the Kimber
    My 1911s use a Harrison rear 0.140/ Dawson FO front 0.125; this amount of white space (for me) supports fast transitions.

Any other suppliers out there that someone might recommend? Given vendor supply issues I'll probably just go with a set of Dawsons which have always worked well for me and the rear/front at 0.125/0.100 will be much better than stock. My HD gun is an RDS SBR so night sights are not critical on my EDC being old and not a night person.
    I've always found for pistol sights that give the best performance across the board is to use the formula of the rear notch being .015" wider than the front sight width. So, a .125 front gets a .140 rear, etc. I do like thinner front sights, but using that ratio seems to work well (at least for me).
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I've always found for pistol sights that give the best performance across the board is to use the formula of the rear notch being .015" wider than the front sight width. So, a .125 front gets a .140 rear, etc. I do like thinner front sights, but using that ratio seems to work well (at least for me).
    Couldn't agree more. Don't know what Kimber was thinking with those sights. We had very little choice when in CA and as it was the Kimbers had to be converted from 38 Super for my wife.

User Tag List