Page 90 of 117 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

-Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    That's the one!
    They just unveiled it yesterday. I got way excited when I first saw the video teased on Instagram and wondered what sorcery this was. Two things made me less excited:
    1. I'd have to replace my beloved Badger 1.7 mount.
    2. It's $599.
    The concept looks badass, but I run an offset red dot and there's a lot of squeeze required to get that juice.

I don't know if I would want to move my hand closer to the magwell while trying to take a more precision shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I don't know if I would want to move my hand closer to the magwell while trying to take a more precision shot.
    yeah, I don't even own a LPVO, so I'll abstain from commenting

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    They have an electronic version with a battery and motor that coming removes the whole lever setup and frees up the rail space forward of the mount for clip on night vision and thermals etc, that wouldn't necessitate the adjusting hand positions. They haven't mentioned the activation method but I assume a tape switch like a light.

I don't run any LPVO right now but plan to on a Q Fix 8.6 once my Q Porq Chop gets approved so I'll be keeping watch on how these turn out. It's done by the same guys that brought the Flux Raider which is very impressive so it should be good.

Update on the PLX 1-8 Compact:

I ran the River Bend Run'n'gun 10K a few weeks ago with the PLX 1-8 Griffin Mil. It was mounted to my 12.5" 5.56 AR with a Turbo K suppressor.

Stages were 3-~500 yards. A single stage had ~200, ~300, and 500 yard targets while everything else was ~150 and in.

The good:
    -The scope is very easy to use and get behind up to ~6.5X.
    -Mil grids are great for for UKD. See splash? Adjust and move on.

The not good:
    -This is not a red dot
    -The reticle is good for short range generous targets and long range, but NOT intermediate ranges on low power. ~100 yard distance on, for example, a plate rack, sucks because of the large donut.
    -VTAC board was difficult with the large donut. Maybe it's a me thing but it's easier to hold off a defined dot than a huge circle.

I found myself wanting an offset red dot many times during the match. The FFP LPVO just wasn't easy to use on lowin certain situations.

My next step is to try a piggyback red dot. I have a lot of time with one on my NXS 2.5-10. It makes that scope much more usable for <100 yard targets.

With a 12:00 MRDS I'll probably use the PLX for 200+. Seems like a bit of a waste, but maybe it'll work out.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    -The reticle is good for short range generous targets and long range, but NOT intermediate ranges on low power. ~100 yard distance on, for example, a plate rack, sucks because of the large donut.
    -VTAC board was difficult with the large donut. Maybe it's a me thing but it's easier to hold off a defined dot than a huge circle.
    Thanks for the report and insight. This seems to be a common drawback of FFP reticles in an LPVO application. There needs to be a certain amount of area at the center to make the reticle illumination visible at 1x. On the Griffin Mil at 1x, I think the entire mil-dot grid looks like an arrow/chevron. Unfortunately, that doesn't illuminate so aiming with the tip of that chevron is hard to see on dark background/targets. The center circle looks to be about 8 mils or 28 MOA compared to the 2MOA Aimpoint or 1MOA Eotech.

The Nightforce FC-DMx reticle is praised as a good LPVO reticle but it has a 4.25 mils (~14.5MOA) center circle. The 0.2 mil center dot isn't visible at 1x, so some zoom is also needed for precision.

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    Thanks for the report and insight. This seems to be a common drawback of FFP reticles in an LPVO application. There needs to be a certain amount of area at the center to make the reticle illumination visible at 1x. On the Griffin Mil at 1x, I think the entire mil-dot grid looks like an arrow/chevron. Unfortunately, that doesn't illuminate so aiming with the tip of that chevron is hard to see on dark background/targets. The center circle looks to be about 8 mils or 28 MOA compared to the 2MOA Aimpoint or 1MOA Eotech.

The Nightforce FC-DMx reticle is praised as a good LPVO reticle but it has a 4.25 mils (~14.5MOA) center circle. The 0.2 mil center dot isn't visible at 1x, so some zoom is also needed for precision.
    I forgot to add it was an overcast day and I kept the illumination at 8 or 9. 10 was overpowering when I zoomed in.

The Griffin Mil reticle has a 10 mil diameter circle in contrast to the FC-DMx. The other PLX reticles have even larger circles.

I still stand by my earlier impression that these changes are needed:
    -The thick stadia should extend closer to the center
    -The mil grid should cut off at no more than 10 mils

User Tag List