Page 77 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Leupold still makes a fixed 4X

The salesman shouldn't have laughed but he probably doesn't get asked that question a lot.
    I looked around locally at several stores. I like to look at the product before I buy, especially optics, because there is a lot of cheap glass out there these days. One store owner (Leupold dealer) that I know pretty well told me he didn't carry anything like that because it just didn't sell. He wasn't real interested in ordering one either. I just dropped the idea and bought 1-4.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I mean, all those optics work without batteries, and the prisms are going to be just as light, if not lighter, than a fixed power traditional scope once you factor in rings/mounts.
    Evidently the market agrees with you.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

@SecondsCount, I didn’t mean to single you out, it just seemed like a good way to jump in.

I’ve been looking for the perfect optic for a carbine all my life it seems. The circle I finally got out of was due to:
    1. figuring out the real range I’m gonna use my AR in 5.56 at is 10-400 yards.
    2. I picked the wrong career path when scopes priced over $2000 are considered a bargain.
    3. Actually using my 1-4 at distances beyond the 5.56 capabilities.

I remember seeing one of my buddies shoot a running coyote at 250 plus yards with his 1.5-5 Leupold (my first LPVO)it was on 1.5x. I asked him why he didn’t crank it up and he said he could see it with his naked eye so he didn’t need to. I scoffed at the notion then but shooting out to 1000 yards on various sized plates showed me he was more right than wrong. Given a good aiming point that doesn’t obscure the target, my 1-4 will hit as far as I need to. I’ve used the BDC out to 700 yards on 2/3rd size silhouettes.

Yes I can use more power but even on my bolt guns, I rarely use more than 6X.

I guess I’m just cheap or maybe I just have different uses in mind. Sorry for throwing a stumbling block in the search for the perfect 1-10 scope.

I get it. My issue is that I tend to try and push my carbine beyond it's true purpose. Silhouette targets are what I should be shooting, but I get bored and want to take a headshot, or try to hit that little 3" circle at 545 yards that I shoot with my bolt gun

I had a 4-16 Vortex HST on my DMR and loved it for those kind of shots. The issue is that I don't want to haul 2 or 3 ARs to the range. I usually bring a bolt gun, an AR, and of course my concealed pistol. Happiness would be a 1-16X if they made one
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

We all want to shoot precisely but my general purpose carbines are 16” chrome lined pencil barrels. While I can get 1.5 moa pretty regular I know shooting a 3” target at 600 yards is not gonna turn out well even with a 10x scope.

But I have other rifles to shoot distance with more precision. I’m just keeping the GP carbine a GP carbine, I don’t want to lug around a heavier match barrel along with a heavier scope. I think going for the do it all scope is a slippery slope I don’t want to go down again.

That’s not to say that if money was no object, I wouldn’t like a 1-10 that would perform as well on both ends off the bench.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    @SecondsCount, I didn’t mean to single you out, it just seemed like a good way to jump in.

I’ve been looking for the perfect optic for a carbine all my life it seems. The circle I finally got out of was due to:
    1. figuring out the real range I’m gonna use my AR in 5.56 at is 10-400 yards.
    2. I picked the wrong career path when scopes priced over $2000 are considered a bargain.
    3. Actually using my 1-4 at distances beyond the 5.56 capabilities.

I remember seeing one of my buddies shoot a running coyote at 250 plus yards with his 1.5-5 Leupold (my first LPVO)it was on 1.5x. I asked him why he didn’t crank it up and he said he could see it with his naked eye so he didn’t need to. I scoffed at the notion then but shooting out to 1000 yards on various sized plates showed me he was more right than wrong. Given a good aiming point that doesn’t obscure the target, my 1-4 will hit as far as I need to. I’ve used the BDC out to 700 yards on 2/3rd size silhouettes.

Yes I can use more power but even on my bolt guns, I rarely use more than 6X.

I guess I’m just cheap or maybe I just have different uses in mind. Sorry for throwing a stumbling block in the search for the perfect 1-10 scope.
    I’ve hit E types at 900 with a 4x ACOG. You can hit things at 700-1,000 yards with irons too.

One thing higher magnification does that 1x or irons can’t it target identification. 6x gets me reasonable PID out to 300 which is a realistic GP carbine distance. Target ID is a GP carbine requirement for me. If that’s not a requirement for your uses rock on.

Target ID should be a requirement for everyone, every time, any distance with any gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    Target ID should be a requirement for everyone, every time, any distance with any gun.
    Name:  A6D925FF-4E57-4BBB-A0DC-2621C66F0FEC.jpeg
Views: 497
Size:  27.5 KB

Using a 20x scope for PID on a GP carbine does not make it a 1000 yard gun either.

Has anyone tried pairing a compact prism 1x illuminated optic with a similarly compact magnifier? How did it work?

I'm thinking of something like a PA ACSS 1x with a Sig Micro3 might be nice for a lightweight 14.5" 5.56 that I need to go ahead and get built.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List