Page 70 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

I’m still reading through the thread in my spare (ha!) time, but can I throw out a question?

I picked up a 9” .300BO upper for my Rattler and am thinking I’d like a LPVO on it - I’d like compact and lightweight, so I’m at least starting with 1-4x models. I’m not an optics guy, so recommendations are very welcome. My overall budget is variable but I’d like to keep it at $1000 or less.

I came into this thinking a Triji AccuPoint 1-4x with the green triangle, but battery powered illumination may be a better bet. The Steiner P4Xi 1-4x with the G1 reticle caught my eye, too.

Any other suggestions for a .300BO SBR like this?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m still reading through the thread in my spare (ha!) time, but can I throw out a question?

I picked up a 9” .300BO upper for my Rattler and am thinking I’d like a LPVO on it - I’d like compact and lightweight, so I’m at least starting with 1-4x models. I’m not an optics guy, so recommendations are very welcome. My overall budget is variable but I’d like to keep it at $1000 or less.

I came into this thinking a Triji AccuPoint 1-4x with the green triangle, but battery powered illumination may be a better bet. The Steiner P4Xi 1-4x with the G1 reticle caught my eye, too.

Any other suggestions for a .300BO SBR like this?
    Primary Arms’ optics are worth a look. Even their platinum line tends to concede somewhere (usually brightness or weight) but IMO, they have some very useful reticles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to call the new EOTECH Vudu 1-10x28 a swing and a miss.

Overall size, weight and external features the scope is probably solid. In fact I think it is spot on in these regards. The build quality feels good. Turrets have a good solid feel and the power selector moves nicely.

Optically it seems very good. The imagine has some fish eye that mostly drops off around 3x and some softening at the edges that drops off about 5x. The image is otherwise bright and clear.

The downside as is pretty much the case with all these low power FFP optics is that the reticle is simply too small to see at 1x. The reticle does have a "speed ring" that surrounds the actual reticle. This ring is fairly thick and easy enough to see at low power settings but it is too big for any kind of precision. I'd say it would be pretty hard to hold on an A zone at more than maybe 25 yards. Certainly way too big to use with any precision at 100+

Turning on the illumination doesn't make any difference. In fact it may actually make things worse depending on background. It simply isn't bright enough. All it does is change the color from black to red.

The speed ring disappears from view at 6x and the Christmas tree reticle itself becomes decently visible at about 2.5x. So in essence we have a 2.5-10x scope that can be dialed down to 1x for whatever good that might do.

Maybe on heavily overcast days or at dawn and dusk the illumination would make the reticle useful at the lowest settings. But as it sits now I don't see any real benefits. It certainly isn't daylight bright and is barely even daylight visible.

In my opinion EOTECH needs to re-wire the illumination option. Drop the illumination of the external speed ring and concentrate on making the very center aiming point daylight bright. If that's simply not possible without some kind of radical product change then make the speed ring a little bit thicker and reduce its size so that it works as its own stand-alone aiming reference at lower power settings.

If I want a FFP with a reticle I can't see at low power I'll save $900 and buy the 1-8 Strike Eagle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I’m really leaning to the Steiner P4xi 1-4x with G1 reticle - does anyone have experience with these?

Edit - change of plans. I’m a little leery of jumping in at the $1k price level without knowing if this is the solution for me. I’m going to try a budget LPVO first, and reassess after getting some experience with it. The SIG Tango-MSR seems like a low risk option, reviews are pretty good.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 07-04-2022 at 09:07 AM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I’m really leaning to the Steiner P4xi 1-4x with G1 reticle - does anyone have experience with these?
    We have a good number of both old and new P4xi scopes issued out in my area. User preference and expectations come into play but I like the original 3TR or whatever they call it better.

The original reticle is (I believe) an illuminated fiber optic dot. The stadia lines themselves are not illuminated. This makes a central red dot that's very bright and visible against probably any expected background. The G1 reticle uses an etched reticle with an illumination that lights up the entire central diamond. As a result, it is not as eye catching on the max settings.

Steiner changed the color from red to green with the G1 with the belief that the green appears brighter to the eye. But even then it isn't as bright at max as the original reticle.

With all the said, the G1 reticle itself is pretty decent. It is heavy and thick enough that it can be seen easily enough without the illumination. It also provides more information to the shooter. More/finer reference marks for elevation holdovers or tracking a moving target etc. The 3TR is very basic in these regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    We have a good number of both old and new P4xi scopes issued out in my area. User preference and expectations come into play but I like the original 3TR or whatever they call it better.

The original reticle is (I believe) an illuminated fiber optic dot. The stadia lines themselves are not illuminated. This makes a central red dot that's very bright and visible against probably any expected background. The G1 reticle uses an etched reticle with an illumination that lights up the entire central diamond. As a result, it is not as eye catching on the max settings.

Steiner changed the color from red to green with the G1 with the belief that the green appears brighter to the eye. But even then it isn't as bright at max as the original reticle.

With all the said, the G1 reticle itself is pretty decent. It is heavy and thick enough that it can be seen easily enough without the illumination. It also provides more information to the shooter. More/finer reference marks for elevation holdovers or tracking a moving target etc. The 3TR is very basic in these regards.

Thanks for the input. I edited that post to reflect my cold feet - I think it was you earlier in the thread who posted about the SIG Tango-MSR being a possible budget option. I think I’m going to try one of those for a year or until it breaks, and get some firsthand experience and opinions about what I want and need in a LPVO before I buy up. (Being an analyst sucks, you’re always thinking and projecting outcomes.)
    Ken

Any opinions on the Athlon Helos BTR 1-10x28 Gen2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    Any opinions on the Athlon Helos BTR 1-10x28 Gen2 ?

Nope. But here's another option:

Edit - change of plans. I’m a little leery of jumping in at the $1k price level without knowing if this is the solution for me. I’m going to try a budget LPVO first, and reassess after getting some experience with it. The SIG Tango-MSR seems like a low risk option, reviews are pretty good.
    El cheapo SIG 1-6x and mount arrived today, let’s see how it goes. I’m hoping I’ll develop firsthand experience that will help when it’s time to get its likely eventual replacement.

Name:  D4DA1688-F1A2-4FDA-BC4A-0067F936B64D.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  94.2 KB
    Ken

I’m listening to an audiobook on history of snipers and if those guys back in the day could do it with 3-6x scopes, I have a lot of training to do before I “need” more.

User Tag List