Page 63 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

I ordered a Strike Eagle 1-8x24 FFP through Expert Voice and a Warne 30mm mount from Midway.

My plan is to mount the optic on a Ruger AR556 and use the package as a dedicated trainer/loaner/beater for the occasional class. I'm hoping the optic will be decent in this application. I assume it will be. With that said, if the optic + mount is so heavy it flips the rifle upside down when slung it will go down the road.

In related news, Igor Borisov says he has EBR-8 reticle info and will probably add this to the Strelok app with the next update.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I ended up going with the Vortex 6x micro magnifier for my AEMS rather than a new LPVO. I'm pretty happy with it compared to my HM3XT which I thought was too unforgiving on eye box and eye relief.

I went shooting with a friend over the weekend and he pulled out his "beater" AR that had a 1-8X Cabela's Covenant AR scope. They are Chinese made but I was impressed by the size, weight, and glass quality. He said that he paid $180 for it on sale, and that it included the mount. The glass was clear enough that I could see 223 holes at 100 yards and had a nice BDC reticle with wind holds.

Name:  Screenshot_20220404-123437_Chrome.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  16.7 KB
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Got the Strike Eagle. The mount should arrive tomorrow.

Well, I'm still waiting on the mount but I'll post some initial thoughts on the new Strike Eagle.

Seems decent in terms of build. Power ring moved fairly easily. A little stiff maybe but not really gritty or that weird sort of hard then easy or vice versa that some cheap scopes can have. Throw from one to eight is about 180°

Eye piece focus is pretty stiff which is fine. No real issues getting it set for my eyeball.

Made in China. Glossy black Chinese finish.

The EBR-8 reticle seems okay. Probably pretty usable on an AR that wouldn't see much use beyond maybe 400 yards. Typical FFP in that it is too small to be of any use at 1x. Probably somewhere around 2x maybe the sweet spot.

Illumination is 2 NV settings and then 9 daytime settings. 9 isn't good enough. At least not good enough for AZ. Illumination is easily lost depending on the background. It is, of course, easier to see at 8x but is still lost against backgrounds. It needs probably two more settings to be "daylight" bright.

Some softening at the image edges. Some fisheye at 1x. Maybe can be somewhat resolved by fiddling with the focus.

Heavy. Neary a pound and a half.

Overall a pretty merf entry into the LVPO 1-8 market with brightness being a not unsurprising disappointment.

Tough to capture but here are a couple shot at 1x with and without illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Well, I'm still waiting on the mount but I'll post some initial thoughts on the new Strike Eagle.

Seems decent in terms of build. Power ring moved fairly easily. A little stiff maybe but not really gritty or that weird sort of hard then easy or vice versa that some cheap scopes can have. Throw from one to eight is about 180°

Eye piece focus is pretty stiff which is fine. No real issues getting it set for my eyeball.

Made in China. Glossy black Chinese finish.

The EBR-8 reticle seems okay. Probably pretty usable on an AR that wouldn't see much use beyond maybe 400 yards. Typical FFP in that it is too small to be of any use at 1x. Probably somewhere around 2x maybe the sweet spot.

Illumination is 2 NV settings and then 9 daytime settings. 9 isn't good enough. At least not good enough for AZ. Illumination is easily lost depending on the background. It is, of course, easier to see at 8x but is still lost against backgrounds. It needs probably two more settings to be "daylight" bright.

Some softening at the image edges. Some fisheye at 1x. Maybe can be somewhat resolved by fiddling with the focus.

Heavy. Neary a pound and a half.

Overall a pretty merf entry into the LVPO 1-8 market with brightness being a not unsurprising disappointment.

Thanks for the review and kind of what I expected.

Do you feel like the 1-6X Stryker is a better value?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I see the EBR-8 reticle is now uploaded to the Strelok ballistic app.

The mount has arrived but I doubt I'll use it. I'm going to call Vortex in the morning and see if I am allowed to return the scope for a refund.

Overall the scope itself seems decent although a bit on the heavy side. But the lack of a brighter reticle simply kills it for me especially in 2022.

If it had another 1 or 2 brightness settings I'd keep it.

Edit to add that I still stand by my earlier post(s) about an updated Viper PST. Take the Strike Eagle, drop an ounce or two of weight and give it another click or two of illumination and it would be a pretty solid offering. Keep price somewhere around $800 and it would probably be everyone's favorite budget scope.

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-07-2022 at 09:41 PM.

Here's another one showing how easily the illumination is lost against a multi colored background. The camera makes it look worse than it actually is but it does make the point. This is at max magnification.

And for those wondering about the thick stadia lines that are supposed to draw the eye to the center; they have too large a gap at the center. The illumination isn't bright enough to see the central aiming point at 1x and the lines do not "poke in" enough to use by themselves for any accuracy.

Note lines in relation to A Zone at 45, 50 and 75 yards. Could the stadia lines be used to put a bullet in the center of the target with any kind of speed?

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-08-2022 at 06:17 AM.

Vortex contacted. A return shipping label should be emailed over shortly.

I guess some comments are needed on intended use. If a person wants a scope that offers some functionality from four to eight power that can be dialed down to a lower magnification in an emergency this scope is probably fine. But if you want a scope that can be used on low (or no) power like a red dot and dialed up to 5 or 6 or whatever in an emergency then you may not be happy.

I fall into my 2nd category. Primary use would be on the lower end of the spectrum most of the time.

User Tag List