Page 61 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    So in the time I use to distract myself from my rapidly approaching thesis defense I've been diving into the optics world a lot more deeply than I have in the past, in part because they seem to be one of the few firearms accessories where deals can still be had, and good glass is never a bad investment of money.

Particularly interested in LPVOs as the next gun whose optics I am looking to upgrade is a heavy 16" AR-15 that usually wears a bipod. Currently hosts a PST II 1-6 which is fine for now, but would like a little more high end mag (1-8/1-10) on this gun in particular. Casually investigating 2-10 range optics; the Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 seems particularly interesting.

What is everyone using for LPVOs/what other optics have you tried in the search for the right low power optic?

For what it's worth, I have a Meopta Optika6 1-6 on one of my guns that I love. A reasonable review of this model can be found here, though as a caveat, the illumination in the model reviewed in that video is much worse than the one I have, likely due to the difference in reticle. Mine sports a KDOT RD reticle with an illuminated 2 MOA center dot, which is not daylight bright, but usable vs. a dark background during the day. I would definitely not recommend any of the FFP models of the Optika6 as the illumination seems to suffer even more with those.
    I like the vortex 1-6 PST gen 2 but my favorite is my Swarovski z8I brt 1-8. Super clear glass light weight for its class.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I like the vortex 1-6 PST gen 2 but my favorite is my Swarovski z8I brt 1-8. Super clear glass light weight for its class.
    Haha, that post is a bit dated... since that time I now have 2 1-6 Razors on these guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Haha, that post is a bit dated... since that time I now have 2 1-6 Razors on these guns.
    Good choice

Twenty minutes of talking about the new Strike Eagle.

TLDW version:

Cons:
    Heavy
    Could use one more brightness setting
    Edge to edge clarity may be somewhat lacking

Pros:
    FFP
    Price

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Twenty minutes of talking about the new Strike Eagle.

TLDW version:

Cons:
    Heavy
    Could use one more brightness setting
    Edge to edge clarity may be somewhat lacking

Pros:
    FFP
    Price

So happy to see the entire BDC doesn't light up anymore. I only want illumination on the dot or donut.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    So happy to see the entire BDC doesn't light up anymore. I only want illumination on the dot or donut.
    Yeah illuminating the entire reticle doesn't make much sense

Site Supporter
    More info on the FFP 1-8 Strike Eagle

Vortex’s mid-to-lower-end stuff is kinda like Bose audio products; the functions you hear/see the most sound/look very good when only used at a cursory level. It’s only when you look at the whole package or compare the products to a truely good piece you see you can do better. For instance, from a small amount of time with the Strike Eagle on a good friend’s AR, it was immediately apparent that the middle 50% (the sweet spot) of the view had very good Image Quality. Great warmth in the colors, excellent contrast, and resolved very well. Also immediately apparent was the fact that the 25% ring outside the circle around the edges was literally unusable due to the edge distortion and a lack of control of CA. When comparing it to a higher quality scope, you eventually realize that what you are missing is the depth of field that gets masked by vibrant colors. I pointed absolutely none of this out to my friend who couldn’t see any of this and honestly loved the scope. But he only shoots a couple hundred rnds per year and, to him, the SE was ‘just as good’ as my scope costing 2.5 times as much.

This to reinforce your below point about offering a range of options to different demographics/ price points.

With that said, they are doing a good job with offering a wide variety of scopes for a variety of uses and at various price points.

As stated above, I think there's room in the Vortex line for a Viper or even Razor 1-8 although launching such a product may kill off the 1-6. If that happens then so be it.

I believe in one of the Vortex Nation podcasts they explained they were working on the 1-10 for about 5+ years to completely bypass the 1-8 and jump straight to the 10. Keeping the 1-6 for the SFP benefits and only offer a 1-10 in FFP. The two scopes had different mission statements; the 1-6 for those who want a 1x red dot functionality with the ability to PID and occasionally stretch out with the 6x and the 1-10 for those who want to hit up mid range with the FOV and occasional close-in capability the 1x gives.
    Last edited by TOTS; 03-22-2022 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post

I believe in one of the Vortex Nation podcasts they explained they were working on the 1-10 for about 5+ years to completely bypass the 1-8 and jump straight to the 10. Keeping the 1-6 for the SFP benefits and only offer a 1-10 in FFP. The two scopes had different mission statements; the 1-6 for those who want a 1x red dot functionality with the ability to PID and occasionally stretch out with the 6x and the 1-10 for those who want to hit up mid range with the FOV and occasional close-in capability the 1x gives.
    I wonder if the sales numbers back this up. I assume anyone with Razor money will get the 1-10.

Site Supporter
    I wonder if the sales numbers back this up. I assume anyone with Razor money will get the 1-10.
    I bet they are trying to force the ‘razor money’ as splitting the sales between the two would probably preclude spending the R&D costs to get two optics right (razors are good stuff); not enough profit margin.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I bet they are trying to force the ‘razor money’ as splitting the sales between the two would probably preclude spending the R&D costs to get two optics right (razors are good stuff); not enough profit margin.
    Well, I still think there is a good market for a 1-8 (or 1-10] Viper. Something that scratches the Razor III itch at under a Grand. Or maybe just a hair over depending on features. Make the Viper PST in an 8x format and then drop the SFP 1-6 from that line.

The Strike Eagle appeals to me because I think it is probably a good optic for a budget AR10 in 6.5 C or an AR15 in Grendel or ARC. I'm sure it will sell quite well although I don't plan on buying one.

User Tag List