Page 59 of 117 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    We will continue to disagree.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Fair enough. Thanks for keeping it civil!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

ACOGs and other fixed power options are an evolutionary dead end. Slow at close range with a limited field of view when tracking moving targets. Limited eye relief with the ACOG as well.

Totally disagree. If you need passive aiming capability you are running an offset/piggybacked red dot anyway, and end up with two different 1x optics if going LPVO. If you run a red dot with a prism you get better than LPVO performance at 1x and can switch to/from magnified much faster than turning a dial. The magnification may not go as high as most LPVOs but the weight will be, in most cases, substantially less, and greater durability.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Totally disagree. If you need passive aiming capability you are running an offset/piggybacked red dot anyway, and end up with two different 1x optics if going LPVO. If you run a red dot with a prism you get better than LPVO performance at 1x and can switch to/from magnified much faster than turning a dial. The magnification may not go as high as most LPVOs but the weight will be, in most cases, substantially less, and greater durability.
    Adding a red dot to augment your magnified optic to get more functionality just conforms my statement, no?

Adding a red dot to augment your magnified optic to get more functionality just conforms my statement, no?

I would agree if the discussion was LPVO vs prism with no red dot. But I think that discussion is pointless in a world where adding red dots is an option, and where many people choose to do so regardless of what type of magnified optic they are running. If you are running a red dot with an LPVO anyway, I think going red dot / prism instead has significant advantages. One advantage I did not mention above is cost. You can get a high quality prism plus red dot for substantially less than a high quality LPVO, much less a LPVO plus red dot.
    Last edited by TicTacticalTimmy; 03-15-2022 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Yup, IIE w/ VMR MRAD reticle.
    Where did you find it? I think the gen IIe is what I'd like to go with if I can't get a better price on a delta stryker.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Where did you find it? I think the gen IIe is what I'd like to go with if I can't get a better price on a delta stryker.
    https://www.focuscamera.com/vortex-r...d-reticle.html code "RAZOR" has them for 1k (+ tax for me, free shipping)

I would agree if the discussion was LPVO vs prism with no red dot. But I think that discussion is pointless in a world where adding red dots is an option, and where many people choose to do so regardless of what type of magnified optic they are running. If you are running a red dot with an LPVO anyway, I think going red dot / prism instead has significant advantages. One advantage I did not mention above is cost. You can get a high quality prism plus red dot for substantially less than a high quality LPVO, much less a LPVO plus red dot.
    Adding a red dot for whatever functionality is a similar thing to putting a flashlight on the rifle. It adds to the existing platform and gives a level of usefulness that may not be there otherwise.

Adding a red dot may give the shooter some flexibility aka a workaround but it doesn't change the limitations of the fixed power magnified optic.

I had an ACOG for a while and never fell in love. Went right back to an LPVO.

Glass quality is a thing but you can get awesome glass in an LPVO.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    https://www.focuscamera.com/vortex-r...d-reticle.html code "RAZOR" has them for 1k (+ tax for me, free shipping)
    Yup, thats where I got mine

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I had an ACOG for a while and never fell in love. Went right back to an LPVO.

Glass quality is a thing but you can get awesome glass in an LPVO.
    Yup I have been quite satisfied with all of mine

Of note also still happy with the Trijicon 2-10 w/ offset MRDS. It's a touch heavy but you get best of both worlds with mRDS for 1x and appropriate weight/mag power on the scope.

Site Supporter
    I think, as always, the use case is where they correct answer will change, and should be addressed when making this valuation. I offer that the last sentence above is where the value of an ACOG continues to lie. I’m not aware of a more bombproof setup that weighs less than an ACOG and RMR combo. I’ve carried an ACOG on three separate deployments in two deserts, as well as maritime environments. So that’s where my perspective lies. Three-gunners or short range hunters or those who are just shooting enthusiasts are groups that benefit more from the way optics have evolved over the last decade rather than what the ACOG brings to the table.

User Tag List