Page 36 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Fairly heavy. The scope in the Vortex/ADM Recon mount is right at two pounds.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I think the Optika 6 1-6 is of bettter build quality and better glass quality than the PST II 1-6. However not daylight bright. I think it would be a good serious option if daylight bright was not necessary for end user purposes. Could also compensate with offset MRDS.
    I think offset MRDS or BUIS are probably more of a range toy. Everyone needs to have them but rarely use them. Plus I would be hard pressed to train LE to use an offset as a primary sighting system because the reticle is hard to see in scope. Pretty much defeats the purpose of the LPVO in my opinion.

The SIG Tango6 is also a pretty decent scope. More money at a Grand but also not daylight bright although this somewhat depends on the reticle.

Daylight bright is as much a necessity nowadys as true 1x no?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    @Tokarev, that's one fine looking workin' gun. I do love a 3-hole prancing pony Colt lower.

Newbie question. The sum total of my experience is a recent 2 day fundamentals class with Sentinel Concepts which I ran with a PST II 1-6 with a dead dot. We weren't under much time pressure for any of the drills, so I may be missing something there.

How important is a daylight bright red dot when you have a full crosshair? Except for when the crosshair was buried in scope shadow, there wasn't any point in the course where I thought a visible dot would have made seeing easier.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Newbie question. The sum total of my experience is a recent 2 day fundamentals class with Sentinel Concepts which I ran with a PST II 1-6 with a dead dot. We weren't under much time pressure for any of the drills, so I may be missing something there.

How important is a daylight bright red dot when you have a full crosshair? Except for when the crosshair was buried in scope shadow, there wasn't any point in the course where I thought a visible dot would have made seeing easier.
    Low light, low contrast, scope shadow.

Scope shadow is a bigger deal when you are talking about compromised positions, fast transitions, and movement.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Low light, low contrast, scope shadow.

Scope shadow is a bigger deal when you are talking about compromised positions, fast transitions, and movement.
    So, on one of the non daylight bright scopes like the Optika mentioned above, is the red dot still too dim to see in the scope shadow on the super sunny day?

I didn't encountered a low contrast situation in the square range training, but it makes a ton of sense.
    David S.

LPVOs in 2021

A daylight bright dot helps draw your eye to it. That’s about it. To me it’s a “nice-to-have” but not necessary. What does make something of a difference is if you can see the dot in the shadow. Some scopes you can, some you cannot. I believe this is related to the focal plane, but I am not knowledgeable enough to get into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    A daylight bright dot helps draw your eye to it. That’s about it. To me it’s a “nice-to-have” but not necessary. What does make something of a difference is if you can see the dot in the shadow. Some scopes you can, some you cannot. I believe this is related to the focal plane, but I am not knowledgeable enough to get into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lack of daylight bright can really become an issue with FFP when the crosshair or center aiming point becomes very small at 1x and is easily lost against whatever background. Or so small it is hard to pick up in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I think offset MRDS or BUIS are probably more of a range toy. Everyone needs to have them but rarely use them.
    Offset BUIS I agree; however, after toying with my rifle with offset mrds, i am totally sold, at least for fun purposes. I am tempted to juggle some pistol optics and try out a Holosun 507K on my Arisaka mount. I feel like that could be a really big improvement on overall profiel

So, on one of the non daylight bright scopes like the Optika mentioned above, is the red dot still too dim to see in the scope shadow on the super sunny day?

I didn't encountered a low contrast situation in the square range training, but it makes a ton of sense.
    I haven't used the Optika 6, but do have a Bushy Elite SMRS Pro 1-6.5. You can definitely see it in scope shadow, but when the shadow goes away so does your red dot.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that myself and a lot of people don't bother turning on a non daylight bright scope in daylight. For the gun games that I play it hasn't been an issue.

If you have a bold SFP reticle with a generous eye box that'll mitigate a lot of issues in the majority of situations. If you have a fine reticle or a FFP setup you'll encounter more situations where illumination is needed for speed.

I have essentially 0 experience with low light use beyond farting around in the house and on our property. In that extremely limited experience I've found "daylight" bright reticles a lot easier to use because they don't wash out on a bright white light.

User Tag List