Page 74 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I don't know if they still count as "L"PVOs but looking at 2-10,2-12,3-xyz,etc. Finding one with a tree reticle (mils) and capped adjustments is proving more difficult than I would have expected.

The Trijicon creedo 2-10x is close, but adjustable elevation w/ no locking option. Leupold has some with locking exposed elevation but no good recticle options (or vice versa). Ditto Nightforce, closest is the 2.5-20 NX8 with a workable reticle but no locking option for the exposed elevation adjuster.

Seems bizarre that this would be a unicorn, but I'm not seeing any decent optic that checks those boxes. Any I'm missing?
    I just use the zero stop. Set it and then check that the knob is against the stop before shooting.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I’m new to long guns and LVPOs but bought a NF1-8 on recommendation of my military buddy.

It’s awesome and like an easy button for triggering to vision.

For the NF, I’m wondering if you could get away with it for your purposes with a smooth cap that doesn’t have grip to turn it? Or something similarly creative to prevent inadvertent movement. Even a strap or cover system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I assume you want higher magnification than the Razor 1-10 offers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I just use the zero stop. Set it and then check that the knob is against the stop before shooting.
    I have the nf atacr 1-8x on the SBR and like it. The 16" gun has more barrel and in my mind I was thinking more magnification. The Vortex Razor 1-10x is an option. I was just a little surprised there's no similar reticle/adjuster combo in the next step up in magnification (12-13x). Especially when they go through the trouble of including a reticles that have pretty granular hold options so you don't really need to dial.

Site Supporter

LPVO for Sig 716i Tread

Gentlemen -

I'm about to purchase a Sig 716i Tread https://www.sigsauer.com/sig716-tread.html. I'd appreciate your recommendations for a suitable LPVO. This rifle will be used outdoors in daylight. Max range will be roughly 600 yards. I speak mils. Budget is approximately $1000. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Gentlemen -

I'm about to purchase a Sig 716i Tread https://www.sigsauer.com/sig716-tread.html. I'd appreciate your recommendations for a suitable LPVO. This rifle will be used outdoors in daylight. Max range will be roughly 600 yards. I speak mils. Budget is approximately $1000. Thanks!
    A 1-6 can get you to 600 without a problem.

The Delta Stryker 1-6 is a little under your budget and the Vortex Razor II 1-6 would be a little over. You may be able to find a used Nightforce NX8 1-8 for around $1,200.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

LPVOs in 2021

Gentlemen -

What size targets and under what conditions? I assume most people are talking billboard signs from a comfy bench rest when this type of question comes up but if not, 6x may be pushing it. I did a 5k run n gun two weeks ago that had full 18x30 IPSCs at 600. I think I was around 6-8x and was struggling to find it.

Granted I was about half way through and did it in full kit and about 90* heat so I was sucking air and fighting solid mirage from the Colorado plain but I question the standard “1x for every 100yd” more and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

Target Size and Conditions

Thanks for the replies. Here in the Big Empty, we are blessed with an abundance of shooting and hunting opportunities. This will likely be a general-purpose, mid-power rifle used for anything from banging steel at the range to some unfortunate elk that wanders by. Given the 308 cartridge and my personal thoughts about shooting big game at distance, I don't anticipate anything beyond 600 yards.

The Vortex PST II 1-6x has been adequate on my AR-10 and with the 18" Criterion barrel upper I can ring steel ("18 diameter or full size USPSA steel) from the bench out to 700 yards all day long.

But smaller targets are a big problem for me. I struggle with the 10" targets at that range and not 100% on the 12" plates because of the limits of me on that 6X optic. Same upper, with a 6x24" Vortex PST and I could hit the 10" plate if I called wind correctly.

I chose the 1-6 because I ran a few 3-gun matches in heavy metal, and the 1x and dot were necessary for me to do anything reasonable on the stages with closer targets. I felt the 1-6X was the most versatile choice for that upper in the grand scheme of things. But it is not what optimizes the rifle at 600 yards or further.

Gentlemen -

Several of the Geissele 1-6 in use with excellent results, here: https://geissele.com/super-precision...cle-black.html. Looks like these are in your price range.

1-6x is adequate for most* uses. Adequacy relies heavily on size of target, lighting, contrast of target and edge differentiation against terrain. Freshly painted B/C steel to 800 in bright sunlight is a lot more margin to work with than gray 6-10" plates in overcast against dirt. Also, high quality glass at 6x is usually better than cheap class at 8x.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

What do people think about the Midwest Industries QD mounts? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2344525199

Less interested in true "quick detach" functionality than I am being able to dismount without needing a driver to undo (and RE-do) 60in-lbs of torque across several bolts and return to zero capability. But QD is nice. Also, durability.

I like the one scalarworks leap I have, but those are pretty spendy and the extreme lightweight is kind of overkill for some uses.

I'm still rocking the 1-4 leupold lpvo on my 14.5" general purpose carbine, it's perfect for my area. I could get out to 600 yards but it's unlikely and if a shot is that far I should be retreating anyways, my only gripe with these types of scopes is the eye box and blackout. Although this one isn't bad once you're used to it!

User Tag List