Page 81 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

New $300 1-6x from PA, daylight visible illumination

-Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    9 hole reviews with their take on when/why to choose a 1st of 2nd focal plane optic.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    9 hole reviews with their take on when/why to choose a 1st of 2nd focal plane optic.
    Watched a bit, and it seemed like they did not mention moving targets or wind, both of which can be a requirement well below max mag in a 1-6x scope.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post

They listed a good list of pros and cons.

One thing they kind of touched on that is a real downside of SFP scopes- if you are using your reticle for holdovers, you have to be certain the magnification is set correctly for the reticle to equal 1:1. You never have to worry about that with an FFP scope.

The part about the FFP reticle growing and shrinking may seem like an issue but it hasn't been for me. Most LPVOs have a large donut that is easily seen at the lowest power.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    How is the illumination on these ? My concern with FFP is that it kills the ability of illum to function like daylight bright red dot
    Wake27 covered it. Never mind!

The Vortex Razor Gen IIe 1-6x has become like a Glock to me. I'm shooting Glocks until we have Star Wars blasters and I'm going to run the Razor 1-6 until there is some huge advancement in digital scopes that become affordable and provide "can't be ignored" benefits. They've nailed it with that general concept and the scopes like the Razor are, in my opinion, the sweet spot for the LPVO concept. Here's what I think makes the ideal LPVO:
    1. 1-6x with Japanese or better glass. Glass quality trumps magnification and 6x with a clear image is a good match to 5.56.
    2. Daylight bright fiber illuminated dot in SFP. With FFP you will lose the dot when you get outside the exit pupil, which is not the case with SFP. I will never range at 2-5x with an LPVO because 6x is not hard to get behind and track at distance.
    3. Capped turrets.
    4. Crosshair reticle with thick stadia at 3,6,9 o'clock.
    5. Simple mil hashes.
    I think the push to 1-10x FFP has too many compromises for greatly diminishing returns. The physics of optical engineering aren't going to change enough to overcome those compromises. Scopes with 2x-3x on the low side and larger objectives will always be superior if the user needs 10x and above with a Christmas tree reticle for the rifle's purpose. The 1x can be made up with an offset sighting system if super long range capability is the primary focus.
    I'm mostly excited in 2023 about Primary Arms bringing the fiber illumination into a budget LPVO. I have a M&P 15-22 .22lr trainer that I would love to replace the red dot with an LPVO that has the same red dot and crosshair reticle as the Razor, and glass quality is not as crucial in the range of .22lr. The Vortex Viper PST2 version of the Razor is just a little too expensive for me to spend on that particular rifle.
    Last edited by stomridertx; 02-14-2023 at 02:06 PM.

The Razor is a nice scope but I feel like the 1-6X PST II is a better value for the money unless you can find the Razor on a good sale.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    The Vortex Razor Gen IIe 1-6x has become like a Glock to me. I'm shooting Glocks until we have Star Wars blasters and I'm going to run the Razor 1-6 until there is some huge advancement in digital scopes that become affordable and provide "can't be ignored" benefits. They've nailed it with that general concept and the scopes like the Razor are, in my opinion, the sweet spot for the LPVO concept.
    Same. I just was in the market for an LPVO for a 16 carbine and reviewed all the current offerings. The Razor IIe is just a known quantity and for $1200 was a no brainer. Done.

For you FFP folks, I think the new Steiner T6Xi 1-6X checks a lot of boxes for $1400. Out to 400 or so yards I still prefer my SFP Kahles K16i 1-6X G4B reticle I got new from Sport Optics 4 years ago for $1720.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...iation=3265087

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5GcpMUM42o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUZnpIsVlu0

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    For you FFP folks, I think the new Steiner T6Xi 1-6X checks a lot of boxes for $1400. Out to 400 or so yards I still prefer my SFP Kahles K16i 1-6X G4B reticle I got new from Sport Optics 4 years ago for $1720.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...iation=3265087

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5GcpMUM42o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUZnpIsVlu0
    +1.

Im trying to avoid buying the 3-18 but will probably succumb to the want.

User Tag List