Page 114 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1167

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Arken 1-8 arrived yesterday. I understand the fud and paid shilling that has apparently taken place with this company but damnit; this glass and killbox reticle is not shabby at all, am pleased.

The only other LPVO I have currently is the GLx 1-10 from PA so I understand my "scope" of quality is limited...I wont let myself move up to the 1k+ tier until I am limited by the scope itself.

That all being said, I have realized in 2023 I am much more of an LPVO guy than a RDS + magnifier guy.
    <Matthew 10:28>

Here's the new Leupold MK4HD. It is available with a couple of different (although still rather basic) reticle options.

https://www.leupold.com/shop/riflesc...d-rifle-scopes

Interestingly enough the MK3 appears to still be in production. I guess Leupold has probably sold enough of the higher magnification options to keep this product line alive. I don't have any way of knowing but my gut tells me they've sold zero 1.5-4 scopes.

I have no problem with a 1-4 especially if the 1x is free of fisheye and provides a good flat image and the reticle is bright and/or bold enough to use quickly at 1x. It just seems the industry as a whole has moved on with 1-8 and now 1-10 becoming more and more the norm. Most of these higher power scopes are about useless at 1x but you'd still think Leupold would be vying for some of this market.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here's the new Leupold MK4HD. It is available with a couple of different (although still rather basic) reticle options.

https://www.leupold.com/shop/riflesc...d-rifle-scopes

Interestingly enough the MK3 appears to still be in production. I guess Leupold has probably sold enough of the higher magnification options to keep this product line alive. I don't have any way of knowing but my gut tells me they've sold zero 1.5-4 scopes.

I have no problem with a 1-4 especially if the 1x is free of fisheye and provides a good flat image and the reticle is bright and/or bold enough to use quickly at 1x. It just seems the industry as a whole has moved on with 1-8 and now 1-10 becoming more and more the norm. Most of these higher power scopes are about useless at 1x but you'd still think Leupold would be vying for some of this market.

Leupold sure makes some really odd decisions. 1-4.5x would definitely be sufficient for some applications, but I'm also surprised they don't have an offering for the higher magnification 1x segment. For a 1-4, I'd want to see something very light weight to go along with that and this weighs more than a NX8 1-8. The reticle choices are meh, and it looks like some of the 1-4.5 reticle options come with a locking elevation turret. I'm not sure who is dialing with a 1-4.5 scope.

I haven't looked through all of the popular 1-8 or 1-10 scopes, but I have quite a bit of time on an NX8 1-8 and Razor 1-10, and while the 1x isn't perfect on either of them, I think they are both far from useless. Other than a little more tube effect and less field of view, the 1x on my NX8 is just as good as my Razor 1-6.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Leupold sure makes some really odd decisions. 1-4.5x would definitely be sufficient for some applications, but I'm also surprised they don't have an offering for the higher magnification 1x segment. For a 1-4, I'd want to see something very light weight to go along with that and this weighs more than a NX8 1-8. The reticle choices are meh, and it looks like some of the 1-4.5 reticle options come with a locking elevation turret. I'm not sure who is dialing with a 1-4.5 scope.

I haven't looked through all of the popular 1-8 or 1-10 scopes, but I have quite a bit of time on an NX8 1-8 and Razor 1-10, and while the 1x isn't perfect on either of them, I think they are both far from useless. Other than a little more tube effect and less field of view, the 1x on my NX8 is just as good as my Razor 1-6.
    Leupold does offer a 1-6 in the Patrol line. These have either a fairly plain cross hair reticle or the old CMR2 reticle. The CMR2 is actually pretty decent in my experience but it doesn't need the holdover to 1000m or whatever that bottom line is supposed to be. This is a SFP scope and the CMR works well here.

Leupold did have the MK6 1-6 for a number of years. It was FFP and generally well liked but it, like many FFP options, had the common flaws of tiny reticle at 1x and fat reticle at 6x with dim illumination that only worked in poor lighting. Why Leupold isn't updating the MK6 series is anyone's guess. Even a MK5 offering would probably be a good seller if it was lightweight and durable with a more information based reticle.

The NX8 is a good little scope but not perfect. The later Gen with the ATACR reticle works well enough at low power but the older version without the heavy center circle could be hard to see depending on the background. The Razor 1-10 is an outlier in the market being that it is FFP but gets very bright at 1x and has a translucent reticle at 10x. It is something more scope companies should look through for inspiration in my opinion. With all that said, it isn't perfect. Its image gets pretty soft at 9 or 10 power. Still useful but at what cost? It would seem as if the 9 or 10 setting is more a marketing strategy. Razor 1-8 but with a 10x just to say they did it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    It would seem as if the 9 or 10 setting is more a marketing strategy. Razor 1-8 but with a 10x just to say they did it?
    I completely agree and actually prefer the 1-6 Razor.

The NX8 is my current favorite LPVO though. The NX8 isn't what I'd pick for something like an SPR where my main focus would be long range precision shots, but I think I'd lean towards something in the 2-10x range for that use instead of an LPVO all together. The glass is more than good enough for my use and the size, weight, durability, red dot brightness, and reticle make it an excellent complete package. I've had both reticle options and while I do prefer the newer option, the old reticle was fine on 1x. I've found the image to be better on the ones with the new reticle also, even though there hasn't been any mention of a change.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sadmin View Post
    Arken 1-8 arrived yesterday. I understand the fud and paid shilling that has apparently taken place with this company but damnit; this glass and killbox reticle is not shabby at all, am pleased.

The only other LPVO I have currently is the GLx 1-10 from PA so I understand my "scope" of quality is limited...I wont let myself move up to the 1k+ tier until I am limited by the scope itself.

That all being said, I have realized in 2023 I am much more of an LPVO guy than a RDS + magnifier guy.
    With that realization that you like LPVOs the best, that is more than enough justification to move to the next tier. It's hard to do, but if shooting is your primary hobby it pays dividends to invest in yourself. Life is too short, look through good glass while you can.

Site Supporter

Below is Leopold since 2008 when it comes to product development in red dots and LPVO’s. Not informed enough about their mid and high magnification optics to comment on those.

Attachment 113831
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar

The new AMG 1-10

So a few Vortex AMG 1-10's have hit the commercial market for a handful of lucky people, unfortunately it will be at least a year before they are available to non- gov contracts. Or so I been told...

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-lpvo.7148782/

Name:  1669045331691.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  23.9 KB
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    unfortunately it will be at least a year before they are available to non- gov contracts. Or so I been told...
    Or fortunately for my bank account.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Or fortunately for my bank account.

CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

User Tag List