Page 66 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    In the realm of a 16” 556 gun, what is the actual usable distance of lethality?

And does it matter as much having a thicker reticle inside X yardage vs a more powerful cartridge?

I only ask because I have grown fond of my Nx8 and some people have disregarded it because the reticle is thicker than some other options at 8x. It has not bothered me in what I think of my actual usage with the gun it’s on. Legitimately curios as to what others think on range of a 556 fighting rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve taken a 14.5” KAC to 900 yards on E type silhouette with 69 grain GMM. However it’s not effective at that range. 5.56 generally has enough energy for useful terminal effect out to 500 or 600 yards depending on the ammo and barrel length. Some heavier bullets and longer barrels a can push that another 100 to 200 yards.

You are looking for the range at which the bullet retains between 250 Ft/lbs and 300 ft/lbs of energy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    That’s kind of where I’m at. I had never had a setup that would be a defensive rifle I’d shoot at distance. I basically had a 10.5/10.3 that I’d vehicle carry since in Michigan I can not carry a loaded long gun. And any critters I’d hit with the 14.5 were inside 100.

Now that I’ve setup a lpvo 16” I am trying to pick up as much info as I can on something that will reach out. I bought some lake city mk318 and I am thinking of trying that in the 16”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bonded soft points like TBBC or equivalents like Gold Dot are chosen for terminal ballistics not accuracy. They are accurate enough for 0 to 300yards. The issue is soft points get tiny deformations which mean the bullets are not consistent and consistency = accuracy.

For long range accuracy you need consistent ammo, which usually means match ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’ve taken a 14.5” KAC to 900 yards on E type silhouette with 69 grain GMM. However it’s not effective at that range. 5.56 generally has enough energy for useful terminal effect out to 500 or 600 yards depending on the ammo and barrel length. Some heavier bullets and longer barrels a can push that another 100 to 200 yards.

You are looking for the range at which the bullet retains between 250 Ft/lbs and 300 ft/lbs of energy.
    Nice shooting.

I've taken my 16" KAC to 1K using 77 grain Noslers on a similar target. Wind was super light that day so not a lot of drift and we could hear the hits.

At 1000 yards, a 77 OTM match bullet has roughly twice the energy of a 22 LR at the muzzle, and I know that it will go clean through a water filled milk jug at 1030. Not optimal but still lethal.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

More LVPOs in 2022 stuff. This time regarding the new EOTech 1-10 scope:

Jump to about 5:00 here to skip his intro stuff:

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

And WPS reviews the new Strike Eagle 1-8x24:

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Any perspectives on which reticle to pick for a kahles k16i for a 300bo 8.25” SBR? I am torn between SM1 and 3GR. Thanks

ordered with 3GR reticle. wil post pics and thoughts once it comes in. SportOptic was great, as usual.

Name:  CA3DA0DC-ACAF-446C-8AC9-B6E824365E4D.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  98.6 KB

Can’t wait to zero monday or tuesday. The clarity is awesome, as is the reticle.

I've never heard of SAI before but here is a review that I stumbled across. Seems like a unique optic.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Have we covered the CREDO models from Trijicon? Anyone have experience with something like: https://www.primaryarms.com/trijicon...le-matte-black

User Tag List