Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

FFP is a must for LPVO's for me. Regardless if 6,8 or 10x. SFP really cuts into the effectiveness of what the LPVO is built for.

Properly designed reticles, adequate training on having a repeatable index on the gun, and vision control/discipline equate to speed on close targets.

The notion of hanging back up red dots off the gun to be "faster" is somewhat asinine to me. From an efficiency standpoint doesn't make much sense.

The current craze of "high mounts" also boggles my mind.

Cheaper LPVOs generally:
    -Do not track as well as higher end (this can mean everything or nothing to you)
    -Poorer quality glass
    -Adjustments that a more a SWAG than clearly defined
    -Chincy reticle patterns
    -Durability
    All those things can be overcome minus the durability.

I like the specs of the new Athlon mentioned above, the reticle and FOV look better than the Credo. I wish scope makers would make a lighter option, 23-25 oz is ridiculous for a scope so small.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    I like the specs of the new Athlon mentioned above, the reticle and FOV look better than the Credo. I wish scope makers would make a lighter option, 23-25 oz is ridiculous for a scope so small.
    I agree, the creeping weight bothers me. But I think ultimately it's been market driven. Every scope "must" be bulletproof, have 40 mils of adjustment, track perfectly, have a zero stop and resettable turrets, an illuminated reticle, have excellent image quality, and cost less than $1000.

I still love my NXS 2.5-10 because its under 20oz which is rare these days. The downside is SFP and a less usable reticle.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    This primary arms scope looks kind or promising for my uses... 2.5-10x44, FFP, illuminated reticle. an offset holosun 507C on an arisaka mount woudl bring the total weight to just under 26 oz. Not much more than a Razor.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 02-19-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Any advice on the best magnifier to use with an Aimpoint T2? I've been thinking about getting into LPVOs but the time for training is daunting.
    Aimpoint 3X-C; I like the LaRue LT-755 mount.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Meopta

I have the Meopta Optika6 1-6x24 and appreciate the features it allows me to put to use. I have used the RD in carbine competitions and found when skies are cloudy or targets are dark, it is easy to pick up. I have the K-DOT RD and appreciate being able to dial in the drops using Strelok Pro for longer shots while predator hunting. I find the glass to be clear and function well in low-light situations. I have the MeoStar R2 1-6x24 RD on the way! I have MeoStar binos and they beat my SLC's in clarity and light transmission. I loaned them to a buddy who has EL's and now he has MeoStar binos in 10 and 12X. I'll let you know what I think of my new scope. Prob going on a JP, LMT, or Noveske SBR, not sure yet.

I picked up this, and used an Aero mount...

https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-1-6x2...-reticle-black

Now, completely different use than what the OP is looking for, being this is on a lightweight upper that will be added on my KE Arms polymer lower once I get the parts kit I ordered. Hoping to get it around 5 pounds.

The scope, I was pretty impressed with Primary’s glass. Clear as hell, and the FFP reticule is useable through most of the adjustment (1x and closer to that side... it is just a red dot). Can’t wait for spring, and to be able to mess around with it at the range.

That looks like a lot of scope for the money. A few key questions:
    -Is the illumination truly daylight bright? In full sunlight, is it as bright as a RDS?
    -Is it truly 1x, with no or minimal distortion?
    -How is the eye box? Very forgiving at 1x? Usable while standing and prone at 6x?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I picked up this, and used an Aero mount...

https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-1-6x2...-reticle-black

Now, completely different use than what the OP is looking for, being this is on a lightweight upper that will be added on my KE Arms polymer lower once I get the parts kit I ordered. Hoping to get it around 5 pounds.

The scope, I was pretty impressed with Primary’s glass. Clear as hell, and the FFP reticule is useable through most of the adjustment (1x and closer to that side... it is just a red dot). Can’t wait for spring, and to be able to mess around with it at the range.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Anybody tried the Swampfox Arrowhead series LPVO?

I notice they have a 1-10x with a Mil reticle: https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/arrowhead-lpvo-series

Seems like that could be a good option and price if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    What do you like about the aimpoint + magnifier combo? what power magnifier are you using? This is something I've thought about doing for one of my SBRs which currently has a 30mm PRO.
    This post from Default.mp3 pretty much sums up why I like the Aimpoint+magnifier for my own use.

RDS is typically going to be faster than an LPVO overall unless you put in some serious time with LPVOs, once you throw in unorthodox shooting positions that make getting into the optimal head position much more difficult. There's also the ability to remove the magnifier and swap it between different guns, removing it to use as a monocular, or to make the gun a little lighter. If the emphasis is on unmagnified shooting, I think there's a strong argument for it. For true mixed use, a magnifier will suffer from lack of reticle (usually, though there are newer RDSes and HWSes that will have options that provide some level of hold over) and poorer light transmission (since the sight picture will have to pass through the RDS/HWS first to begin with).
    I initially purchased the latest 3X magnifier from Primary Arms and an ADM swing away QD mount as a proof of concept setup before spending Aimpoint or Eotech money on their magnifiers. The Primary Arms magnifier ended up being "good enough" for my needs so I just kept it instead of buying the Aimpoint or Eotech. That isn't me telling you that the Primary Arms magnifier is "jUsT aS gOoD" as the Aimpoint or Eotech, because it is not, I'm just saying it's good enough for my intended use.

If you'd like to try a magnifier behind your PRO before investing in one and a mount, I'd be willing to send you my magnifier and mount to test out to see if it's something that you like.

User Tag List