Page 33 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVOs in 2023 and beyond

Well I missed that the first read through.

Phoenix PD's approved optics list. This is apparently not 100% up to date as they also allow the Trijicon Credo:

Leupold Mk4 1.5-4
    US Optics SVS 1-6
    VCOG 1-6
    Leupold VX-6HD 1-6
    Steiner P4Xi
    PST Gen2 1-6
    Leupold Mk6 1-6

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I took Sentinel Concepts Carbine Deployment class a couple weeks ago with a Vortex Viper PST II 1-6 mounted on an AR-15.

Warranty experience: Over a year or so of ownership, I noticed that the scope's battery was discharging quickly. I didn't think much of it, because I don't shoot it much and it's not the primary home defense gun. During the class, I noticed dot flicker and intermittent illumination. I sent it back to Vortex for their warranty repair and had it back in my hands within ten days. The notes indicate they replaced a PCB, chip, battery and the battery cap (which was mangled from using wrong tool to open). Cleaned and re centered. Good as new.

----------

LPVO technique. A sideline discussion that I heard between Fisher and a couple of the students. He questioned the one of the normal reasons for installing an off-set sighting system, which is the user might get stuck with a high magnification level and close target, and it would be faster to transition to off set backups than to change the magnification. Steve indicated that the dot/reticle is still usable if it's buried in scope shadow, based on the same principle as shooting a handgun with an occluded PMO. When both eyes open, the dot will superimpose on the target and you're good to go.

Caveat: This was my first formal carbine class and I was saturated by the time this conversation occurred. I was also busy flighting with my own scope issues at the time so I didn't get a chance to test or clarity the claim. I though I'd throw it out there and see if there's any merit.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I took Sentinel Concepts Carbine Deployment class a couple weeks ago with a Vortex Viper PST II 1-6 mounted on an AR-15.

Warranty experience: Over a year or so of ownership, I noticed that the scope's battery was discharging quickly. I didn't think much of it, because I don't shoot it much and it's not the primary home defense gun. During the class, I noticed dot flicker and intermittent illumination. I sent it back to Vortex for their warranty repair and had it back in my hands within ten days. The notes indicate they replaced a PCB, chip, battery and the battery cap (which was mangled from using wrong tool to open). Cleaned and re centered. Good as new.

----------

LPVO technique. A sideline discussion that I heard between Fisher and a couple of the students. He questioned the one of the normal reasons for installing an off-set sighting system, which is the user might get stuck with a high magnification level and close target, and it would be faster to transition to off set backups than to change the magnification. Steve indicated that the dot/reticle is still usable if it's buried in scope shadow, based on the same principle as shooting a handgun with an occluded PMO. When both eyes open, the dot will superimpose on the target and you're good to go.

Caveat: This was my first formal carbine class and I was saturated by the time this conversation occurred. I was also busy flighting with my own scope issues at the time so I didn't get a chance to test or clarity the claim. I though I'd throw it out there and see if there's any merit.
    This works if:
    1) You have illumination
    2) It's on

A ton of LPVOs don't have daylight bright or even visible illumination, so most people don't bother turning it on during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    This works if:
    1) You have illumination
    2) It's on

A ton of LPVOs don't have daylight bright or even visible illumination, so most people don't bother turning it on during the day.
    Don't be poor. (I kid, I kid)
    David S.

Wink

Don't be poor. (I kid, I kid)
    Says the guy who sent his PST back to Vortex for broken illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Says the guy who sent his PST back to Vortex for broken illumination.
    ooof.
    David S.

In the event that a target presents itself so damn close as to be an immediate threat but you find yourself on sniper magnification, there are LOTS of ways of dealing with the threat.

which, by the way, always reminds me of this scene

https://www.starwars.com/video/tusken-raider-attack
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

In stock at Scope List:

https://www.scopelist.com/Leupold-Ma...pe-180663.aspx

I'm still impressed by the listed weight. If that's not a typo....

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    In stock at Scope List:

https://www.scopelist.com/Leupold-Ma...pe-180663.aspx

I'm still impressed by the listed weight. If that's not a typo....
    Leupold website lists the same weight. Could be a "copy 'n' paste" error, but the more places it shows up, the less likely that is.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

User Tag List